Need Help! Excursions for Seniors in Mexican Riviera

ssolomon56

My DH and I will be cruising HAL's Oosterdam in October, and will be in Cabo, Mazatlan, and Puerto Vallarta for a full day each. We're having some trouble selecting some shore excursions. We're taking his mother and aunt with us this time. They're both in their 80's, and their mobility is pretty limited. Generally we go in for everything from snorkling to horseback riding...but this time it's going to have to be a MUCH tamer selection. We plan to bring a wheel chair along for shopping with my MIL - but she can walk small distances. They're also very lucid, and upbeat ladies...and want to see something....not just hang around the ship. We're thinking about a bus tour - but some of them mention hiking involved.

Any ideas?

Last year we took a personal van tour through Princess. I think it cost $320 for the entire van ... and seats up to 7 passengers. There were 5 of us and we all very much enjoyed the day. The driver will take you wherever you want to go and will also help plan out an itinerary for you. We went to a church, the marketplace downtown, a wonderful art boutique, saw the cliff divers, went to Golden Zone ... they'll take you anywhere. Even to a restaurant and wait for you if you like.

We've done the Colonial Village tour in Mazatlan and enjoyed it very much. It is an all-day tour, with a stop for shopping in the Golden Zone before returning to the ship. Not a whole lot of walking, mostly on/off the bus, at the adobe brick-making and the furniture shop stop. The most walking was in the small village of Copola, where we had a very good lunch. You can stroll around the town for a bit and see the cathedral there, but the amount of walking is up to you. It's a nice tour and good to get out to see the countryside. In PV this past time, I took the City Tour and Cooking Lesson and had a great time. The time b/f, we did the Las Caletas trip. This would give you the opportunity to do some water sports, but still provide something a bit more sedate for your family members. While my husband and I kayaked and snorkeled, our friends lounged in hammocks on the beach. It's a beautiful estate and a nice boat ride to it. We had a wonderful buffet lunch there.

In Cabo we've snorkeled, but this past time we took the Coastal Highlights tour that takes you along the coastline to a lovely photo stop at a restaurant, where you're given a beverage while enjoying the views; a visit to San Jose del Cabo, which is a lovely little town (the most walking there, but good sidewalks for using the wheelchair); Cacti Mundo, which is a cactus park (not a whole lot of walking, but accessible for the wheelchair); and the glass-making factory. This was a nice tour, and passengers who wanted to shop were dropped in town after the tour (have to arrange own transport back to the tender).

Archived