Kayaking out of Homer

swdke

Has anyone done any of the Kayaking tours out of Homer? Thanks.

Hi,

Homer is a great little town. Not NEARLYas commercialized as the ports on the cruises.

When in Homer we kayaked, but it was an excursion offered for guests only, by our lodge (Tutka Bay Lodge).

In Homer you might want to check out True North Kayak Adventures. www.truenorthkayak.com. I had checked out their web site and they have very good feedback from a number of publications.

Are you going to be on a cruise? If so, and you will be stopping in Ketchikan, I strongly suggest you try Southeast Sea Kayaks. We did their Orca Cove half day tour August 10th. First class outfit all the way.

NOTE: A fellow guest @ Tutka Bay Lodge gave me this tip, and its' worthy to pass on to you. If you are driving out of Homer, highly recommend a stop at the Norman Lowell Art Gallery. When you get to mile marker 161 (Approximately), make a right turn on Norman Lowell Road. The gallery will be up approximately 1-2 miles on the right side. He will be there to talk to, and his work is exceptional. The quality of the gallery is such, that it would be well received anywhere in the country.

If you'd like suggestions on places to eat in Homer, just let me know.

Have a great time.

CorgiGuy

Has anyone done any of the Kayaking tours out of Homer? Thanks.

I am currently in Homer. We have business here and will be here until next week.

I see the kayaks every day out in the bay, but I always thought it was just people going kayaking. I didn't know they are on tours. There is a kayak rental place on the Spit. I will wander down there today or tomorrow and ask if they have tours. What EXACTLY were you looking for???

I am currently in Homer. We have business here and will be here until next week.

I see the kayaks every day out in the bay, but I always thought it was just people going kayaking. I didn't know they are on tours. There is a kayak rental place on the Spit. I will wander down there today or tomorrow and ask if they have tours. What EXACTLY were you looking for???

Hi greatam, thanks for your reply and I'd certainly appreciate any information you can obtain while your there, that would be so kind. Yes, there are Kayak tours with several outfitters from Homer. I believe they go across the channel, across from the Spit, and kayak around a bay. Although as you stated, they may have rentals from the Spit too. I've been to Homer, but have never kayaked, but from having been there, I learned that such activites were available. I am planning a trip for next summer. I know it' s a bit early to be planning, but that's just how I am. My buddy and I plan to do a few things around Homer, and kayaking is one thing I think we'll want to try.

I guess what I'd really like to know is if this is an activity worth doing. I realize this is a personal choice and decision, but overall I think we're interested enough to give it a try. I see on the internet that some outfitters offer a whole, or half day. Therefore, I guess my biggest debate is whether to take a whole day trip, or will a 1/2 day be sufficient. Essentially, I have a lot of ideas I want to do on the Kenai Penninsula during our short stay, and a 1/2 day would work much better in my schedule. However, it a full day really is much better, then I'd make it a priority and do the full day.

Also, I understand there are several islands or destinations that tours are taken, so my question would be, with several options, which island or bay, is the most interesting or fun.

I also understand there is a water taxi that can take you across the channel from the Spit, and it might be possible to simply rent kayaks on our own, and would probably be cheaper. However, we have no kayaking experience. I suppose going with a group, or guide might be safer, and if noting else, we would learn more about the area from a guide. Still, we like being independent, and if it turned out that sea kayaking was not too difficult, then maybe we might prefer to give it a try on our own. Therefore, I'd be curious as to if this is a possibility for us, or would it be best to take a tour?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Steve

Hi,

Homer is a great little town. Not NEARLYas commercialized as the ports on the cruises.

When in Homer we kayaked, but it was an excursion offered for guests only, by our lodge (Tutka Bay Lodge).

In Homer you might want to check out True North Kayak Adventures. www.truenorthkayak.com. I had checked out their web site and they have very good feedback from a number of publications.

Are you going to be on a cruise? If so, and you will be stopping in Ketchikan, I strongly suggest you try Southeast Sea Kayaks. We did their Orca Cove half day tour August 10th. First class outfit all the way.

NOTE: A fellow guest @ Tutka Bay Lodge gave me this tip, and its' worthy to pass on to you. If you are driving out of Homer, highly recommend a stop at the Norman Lowell Art Gallery. When you get to mile marker 161 (Approximately), make a right turn on Norman Lowell Road. The gallery will be up approximately 1-2 miles on the right side. He will be there to talk to, and his work is exceptional. The quality of the gallery is such, that it would be well received anywhere in the country.

If you'd like suggestions on places to eat in Homer, just let me know.

Have a great time.

CorgiGuy

Hi CorgiGuy,

Thank you for your reply and information. No, we will not be on a cruise, just doing our own land tour thing. Where did you kayak, was it a full day, or half day, and did you have fun? I am debating on whether to do a full day, or half day, and which area/bay/island across the Spit to focus on for arranging a tour. Also, do you think this was something you could have done on your own if you simply had rented a kayak on your own and went at your own pace? Granted, you'd miss out on the narration of the area, but what do you think? Thanks.

Steve

Where can I go for the best seafood?

Steve

Don't know where you are staying, but my best suggestion is go to Coal Point Seafood, get some of their fresh seafood and grill your own stuff.

http://www.welovefish.com/

The park on the Spit has cooking pits. Or catch your own salmon at the Fishing Hole. Easy salmon fishing, depending on time of year-poles, bait, boots, etc available right across the street from the Fishing Hole. Pole rental is $10.00 per day, with a $50.00 deposit.

Otherwise, every restaurant in Homer has fresh halibut and most have salmon and clams (in season-August-October usually). I really enjoy the fish and chips place (kind of 60's hippie style place, lots of "gourmet" stuff like sprouts, grape tomatoes, etc) at the end of the Spit. AFAIK, there is not a truly seafood restaurant in Homer. They ALL have seafood.

Katchemak Bay is pretty tame most of the time. But if you have never kayaked before, I think I would want someone with me to make sure I was safe. I will check about tours. What CorgiGuy did at Tutka Bay will be an entirely different experience than you will have in Katchemak Bay from Homer. Tutka Bay is a pretty protected cove on Katchemak Bay. From Homer, it is open ocean not too far from town.

Hi CorgiGuy,

Thank you for your reply and information. No, we will not be on a cruise, just doing our own land tour thing. Where did you kayak, was it a full day, or half day, and did you have fun? I am debating on whether to do a full day, or half day, and which area/bay/island across the Spit to focus on for arranging a tour. Also, do you think this was something you could have done on your own if you simply had rented a kayak on your own and went at your own pace? Granted, you'd miss out on the narration of the area, but what do you think? Thanks.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Sorry for late reply, have been off the board for awhile.

I kayaked twice while in Alaska, once at Tutka Bay Lodge(Private excursion run by lodge personnel), and once while on the cruise, in Ketchikan with Southeast Sea Kayaks. Both were half day trips.

Since going out of Homer, you will probably be in more open water, therefore I would suggest you go with a guide, especially since it is your first kayaking experience. Personally, I would also stick with a half day trip my first time out. Did you look into www.truenorthkayak.com , as I had mentioned in an earlier post? They have been endorsed by Frommers, National Geographic Adventure and several other notable organizations.

As for good seafood, as previously mentioned, fresh seafood is available in numerious places. It just depends on whether you want to cook it yourself, or go to a restaurant. If going out, price comes into play of course.

We ate at the Homestead for dinner. Enjoyed the setting, personnel made us feel very at home, and needless to say the seafood we had was very tasteful & very well prepared. Cups cafe was also suggested to us, but it was closed the day we were dining in Homer.

A neat little funky Tex-Mex type of place for lunch is the Cosmic Kitchen on Prospect Street. Nothing fancy, but portions were large and flavorful.

PS: If you want to see quality items which are made by the tribes in Alaska, I suggest you stop in the Inua shop. It is located on the spit across the street from Marko Water Taxi. We picked up a small sculpture carved out og Walrus & Whalebone, which was very well priced compared to similar items in shops in the cruise ports.

Hope this helps a little.

CorgiGuy aka Anthony

Hi Steve,

Sorry for late reply, have been off the board for awhile.

I kayaked twice while in Alaska, once at Tutka Bay Lodge(Private excursion run by lodge personnel), and once while on the cruise, in Ketchikan with Southeast Sea Kayaks. Both were half day trips.

Since going out of Homer, you will probably be in more open water, therefore I would suggest you go with a guide, especially since it is your first kayaking experience. Personally, I would also stick with a half day trip my first time out. Did you look into www.truenorthkayak.com , as I had mentioned in an earlier post? They have been endorsed by Frommers, National Geographic Adventure and several other notable organizations.

As for good seafood, as previously mentioned, fresh seafood is available in numerious places. It just depends on whether you want to cook it yourself, or go to a restaurant. If going out, price comes into play of course.

We ate at the Homestead for dinner. Enjoyed the setting, personnel made us feel very at home, and needless to say the seafood we had was very tasteful & very well prepared. Cups cafe was also suggested to us, but it was closed the day we were dining in Homer.

A neat little funky Tex-Mex type of place for lunch is the Cosmic Kitchen on Prospect Street. Nothing fancy, but portions were large and flavorful.

PS: If you want to see quality items which are made by the tribes in Alaska, I suggest you stop in the Inua shop. It is located on the spit across the street from Marko Water Taxi. We picked up a small sculpture carved out og Walrus & Whalebone, which was very well priced compared to similar items in shops in the cruise ports.

Hope this helps a little.

CorgiGuy aka Anthony

Hi CorgiGuy,

Thanks for all the information. I've looked at the website for truenorth and they look like a good operation. Again, I appreciate all your help an information.

Steve

Archived