QM2 nursery. Experiences.

jonmar

My wife and I are planning on taking the Caribbean voyage on April 2. Our daughter at that time will be 15 months old. We are also going with my parents. Obviously we'd like to have the odd drink together after her bedtime. Has anyone used the nursery or group 'kid sitting' Cunard provides on board the QM2. Could someone please give us a mini review of their nursery. Thanks.

We travelled with our 17mth old in June.

The "Play Zone" is open from 9am - 12pm, 2pm - 5pm and 6pm - Midnight.

They cater for children aged 1 - 6, older children are in the next room.

All the staff are British qualified Nursary nurses.

They have a large soft play area and ball pit, tables with paints and art stuff. There is also a safe outdoor area where they are taken out to play by the staff.

During the day we dropped her off and picked her up at various times of the day during their opening hours, depending on what we were doing. They provided us with a pager, so that we could be contacted at any time.

We were never paged, which either meant that Samantha was the perfect child all of the time ;) or the Staff were very good.

They don't provide food, but we left snacks and drinks which they made sure samantha had.

In the evenings we would give Samantha her dinner and bath. then take her down to the zone after 6 in her PJ's. The staff would play with her for a while, give her her milk and then put her to sleep in one of the cots that they have in a seperate darkened room. They have monitors in this room so they can keep an eye on here while they look after the older children.

We would have dinner, maybe have a drink or see a show, then pick her up before midnight and take her back to our cabin. We did this every night apart from the last when they are closed for cleaning.

During port days they looked after Samantha all day when we went on long excursions. I don't think that they will do this for every child, but because Samantha is used to being in nursary for three days a week there wasn't any problems. I guess that they will make an assesment after looking after a child first.

There is no additional cost for use of the childcare facilites and they do not provide any baby sitting in the cabin.

The Staff were absolutly brilliant and we couldn't recommend them enough.

Samantha's Dad, I just wanted to jump in here to say how much I appreciate your comments on this thread and others about the nursery on the QM2. We are travelling on the Sydney-Dubai segment of the QM2 world cruise in Feb-Mar next year and will have our 2 1/2 year old daughter with us.

Your comments and reviews of the nursery have been very informative and have made me feel much more at ease about what is in store for her on board. She also goes to day care 3 days a week at home so I envisage she will be ok with the arrangements on board. We are so excited about this trip and its so important to know that our precious children are catered for so well as well.

Cheers

Timmi

Archived