Grandcaymencruiseexcursions.com - Word of Caution

Bigdasher

Last sat (2nd Sept), I emailed this company re the availability of an excursion. They emailed back. $250 for the five of you they said.

Husband came back from abroad on friday 8th Sept. Yesterday, (the 9th)we booked. Filled in the online form, so that a 20% deposit paid ( $50), balance due to tour operator

Email confirmation back. $60 taken from account - price now for excursion is now $300...yes it had gone up during the week...

On querying this I was told:

"Prices found on our services are not permanent and are subject to change at any time. We do not charge clients new prices if the excursion is reserved on the same date of reservation request if the change of pricing takes place on the same day as the excursion requested date but we cannot honor previous quoted pricing indefinitely".....and

" the price increase took place and was uploaded on our website on September 4th. Your reservation was not received until September 9th, more than one week following your request, almost a week after the price increase".

I have asked them to refund the deposit, and I am fizzing. We really wanted to do this particular excursion, ( yatching in a J22 - husband loves sailing). This company also acts as agents for Cpt Bryan. I don't feel they are acting reasonably,what do others think?

BD

The company appears to act as agents for lots of tour providers, and these problems are inevitable when you are dealing with the monkey not the organ grinder.

Yes, the $300 is still a reasonable price - had that been the price originally quoted, there would not have been a problem. Had they been a air line, where the price varies on a day to day basis, then that wouldn't have been a problem. (at least you know that the price is valid for the next 24 hours or so)

Problem is they quote, and a week later I accept, to find out that they shoved the price up by 20% (now, had they have warned me that a increase was imminent, it again wouldn't have been a problem). They should have honoured the original price.

BD

I'll admit it is frustrating when things go up in price - and they do all the time. I do think if you would have confirmed and put a deposit ( in order to lock in the price) at the time you inquired it would have not been an issue. Prices do fluctuate often and the booking company shouldn't be responsible for telling people that the companies they use 'might' raise the prices since they might not even have access to that info.

It's like going to a store, asking the clerk the price on something that day, coming back a week later to buy it and finding out that the manufacturer did a price increase during the week. Would you be mad at the clerk?

Archived