booking our own shore excursions

reesegirl

I Know this has probably been asked and answered but I can not find the thread. We are booked on the Triumph for Oct. 28 We definetly want to go to Dunns River falls in Ocho Rios. I have read that if you book your own excursion it could save you a few bucks. I also know if you do not get back in time the ship will not wait for you if you are not booked through them.

Ok this being said...I would rather go with a small group up to the falls rather than a busload of people. Has anyone used a company or private tour guide that they particularly liked? And would you book with them again?

TIA

Charis

IF your idea of going to Dunns River Falls without the busload, is to avoid a crowd, then you will be disappointed. It will be packed. The beach is spread out, so you can avoid a crowd that way, however the Falls themselves will have lots of people on them. There are several guides that will help people with the human chain up the falls.

So if you want to go in a smaller group because you don't want to be crammed onto a bus, then perhaps it would work for you. But if the reason is avoid a crowd at the falls themselves, you will be disappointed.

Robin

Sorry can't help on a tour operator. The reputable tour operators know the time that they have to have you back at the ship so do use a reccommended tour operator.

I will tell you what we did. Our first couple of cruises I did all our excursion thru the cruiseline and I would advise that if it is your first cruise. If we are going to a new port I usually will book thru the cruiseline. I have been to Cozumel about 10 times on cruises so I always do it on my own.

Now 20+ cruises later I pick and choose. If DH wants to golf, that is done thru the cruiseline and if I want to do the beach I do it on my own. Just depends on what we are wanting to do whether or not I use the cruiseline for excursions.

We always book our own and we have never had a bad experience yet, knock on wood. Do what you are doing and ask for suggestions. Do a search and Google and you will get some hits and come back ask if anyone has used that person of company. Once in a while the ship has a competitive tour also.

I do agree that Dunns River Falls will be crowded no matter what, but my Brother inlaw just got back and they had to do Dunns River in the hard pouring rain. They wanted to go back, but since they were with the Cruise Ship tour, they had to stay. Hiring your own guide would fix that.

Also, usually the tour guides know better than you when your ship leaves, so that usually isn't the issue it used to be. But ask when you meet him jsut to make sure.

Kevin

Look up Phil Lafayette. We stayed a week in Jamaica in Jully/06 and did a tour whith him. He is Phantastic!!! He will make sure you return in time as most of his business is from cruises. He will want you to get off the ship asap and find him so you can beat the crowds to Dunn. When we did Dunns there were no cruise ships in port and we were the first ones up and only saw about 10 others. We then went tubing on the white river, this was my favorite. He then drove us around the area, fern gully and to the gardens. We then took Phil to lunch at the Jerk Center, yum, yum, yum!! If you go to the Jamaica boards, where I am sure this post will end up, you can read a lot about him. I will use him if we ever return. I sent a e-mail to him inquiring about his trips and he phoned me here in Georgia, sent a e-mail confirming our discussion, called upon arrival to the hotel, and e-mailed me after the trip to make sure we made it home. He loves his country and shares a little of it with you. I would not be afraid to use him and save a lot of money instead of booking with the ship. Have a great cruise.

Thank you sandgnat..could you send Phil's e-address off to me. I would love to chat with him. This will be our 5th cruise and we have learned that some places is it ok to venture out on your own and some places it is not. We spent a week at Sandals back in 2002 but we were in Montego bay not Ocho Rios so we have not yet been to Dunns river. I appreciate the imput

• 3 weeks later...

We used Peat Taylor for our tour in Jamaica and saved money over a similar tour through the cruise lines. Very professional with well maintained mini bus.

I had asked about river rafting also when I was contacting him online. When we got off the ship, we walked straight off the dock to his bus. He asked me "Miss Mary, are you still interested in river rafting?" He had never seen me before and we weren't the only passengers boarding the bus! He even offerd to pick us up again after we lunched on the ship so we could tour more.

I sailed on the Conquest June '06 and my friends and I booked a private day tour through winstontours@anbell.net . Winston Edwards was a wonderful guide. He was prompt in picking us up from the terminal and extremely knowledgeable of Jamaica. We went to Dunn's River Falls and several other places including a stop for lunch. Mr. Edwards was thorough, pleasant and showed us a great time. If you use Dunstan please tell him the Fun Group from Texas referred you.

We booked Trevor Hudlin when we went to Dunns River Falls. I had heard how crowded the falls got so I asked Trevor if we could go there first and try to beat the crowds since it was Feb. recess. We were the first group up and did not have big crowds although we could see the crowds building behind us. We were also booked to go tubing but it started to rain so we just took a tour w/ Trevor and went to Margaritaville. Trevor was great and I would highly recommend him. We are going again this coming Feb. with a large group and we have booked with him.

Frequent Jamaica often and would highly recommend Norma and Leroy with Lee's TAxi and Tours....very professional service....and easy to communicate via email

leestaxiandtoursjamaica.com

email address

leestrs@yahoo.ca

be sure to also take a drive through fern gully and perhaps shopping at the craft market or taj mahal.....Norma and Leroy are based out of ochie and know the area well....so they should be able to recommend other attractions you can combine to make your day memorable

Archived