Alaska cruisers: When is the best time to sail?

Have never been to Alaska but plan to. Please indicate the best time to go, talk of excursions, ships, best cruise fair. Anything you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good question. I am going to Alaska for my third time . I have sailed in July and Sept. before. There really is no bad time for me to go to Alaska.

If you like to see the Glacier calving huge buildings of ice into the bay (July /August is the best time)

If you like more adult oriented time (less kids) ..May /early June /Sept is best

Also wondering if there are lots of teens on Alaska cruises in summer months. Since the weather isn't hot, I wonder if it's more of an adult environment...??
-----------------------------------------

Believe me ...it can get plenty hot ....then rain...........then....snow then HOT LOL It is a wild card. ;)

I was on the June 18th sailing of Celebrity's Mercury. I had been told to expect anything weather wise. I wish I would have listened better. I brought clothes for winter and it was in the high 80's and low 90's. It was so hot wearing sweaters. I should have brought more of a mix of clothes, so i could have been prepared for any weather. The last couple of days, it finally cooled off and I felt comfortable in jeans and a sweater.

:eek: I will always overpack in May. We froze our butts off. May was great. We live in Florida and definetly want to experience it when it is cool (just wasn't prepared). Going even earlier in May 2005. Enjoy ;)

Weather would be best mid-june, thru august. We found that the Alaskian cruises have less kids than that of the caribbean. For excursions we booked them independently. In Juneau, we did whale watching with Orca Enterprises, Captain Larry's boat is the one to be one, he has vast experience and knows where the animals are. Also, in Juneau we did a helicopter to a glacier and hike on that glacier with coastal helicopters, the pilots there fly year round in all kinds of weather, not like some other companies that bring pilots in the the season. We also did on our own Mendenhall Glacier and the salmon hatchery. Make sure you stop for a drink at the Red Dog Salon, one of the oldest --lots of fun. In Keitchen, we did Misty Fijords with Michele of Island Wings, she landed at the Fijords, and we were able to walk around for a bit.--again, she flies year around in Alaska. Because of the hot weather when we were there last year, the helicopters could not fly above a certain height, so we could not do the sled dogs. In skayway, not sure if they are stopping there now, we did the mini-van up to the Canadian border, while the train in nice, we were able to stop along the way, at waterfalls and at various places to take in the beauty of Alaska. Any questions, feel free to e-mail me

Archived