2005 Schedule

bbqbears

Warburg

How did you like your Deck 7 cabin. We're booked in #7029 for Apr 27. What was good/bad about it.

Thanks

The cabins are not what one would call "roomy," but they are attractive, nicely furnished and quite comfortable. There is plenty of room in the closets and bureau drawers. There is a good, strong safe for valuables. The bathrooms are functional but very small. One can have either twin beds or a roomy king-size bed. The bed linens are luxurious. Our cabin was mid ship and we had little rocking and no noise—try to avoid being opposite the laundry room.

One feature we really liked was the verandah. Of course, we had almost perfect weather, and that helped. It was enjoyable to sit on the verandah and watch arrivals and departures from ports.

We enjoyed ourselves so much in August on Lisbon to Barcelona on Insignia that we've booked over a year in advance.

If the food and service is as great as it was in August, we'll be delighted and if we by chance meet as some folks who are as fine and interesting as we did in August that will be even better.

Probably spend one night in Athens before boarding and one night in Rome before heading for home.

Warburg

How did you like your Deck 7 cabin. We're booked in #7029 for Apr 27. What was good/bad about it.

Thanks

The A 1 cabins on Deck 7 are attractively furnished and very comfortable. The beds (king-size or twin) are roomy. The luxurious dubet covers feel like down but may be some other material. There is a full-size mirror, a writing desk and chair, and a couch. There is plenty of closet space and a a good, strong safe for valuables. We had fine weather for the entire cruise, so we very much enjoyed the verandah, which has a small table and two chairs, ideal for watching arrivals and departures from ports.

The bathrooms are modern but quite small. There is actually no place to hang towels, so after one uses a towel, it's a problem of what to do with it.

We had no problem with noise, but I was told to avoid cabins opposite the laundry room.

• 3 weeks later...

I booked in July. Just got my cabin #7098 deck 7. First time with Oceania. Have done Princess, NCL, Celebrity, Holland America and a few others. From what I have read it appears that Oceania compares favorably. April seems so far away.

Hi, we're on the Insignia, Barcelona to Istanbul September 22nd - anyone want to join us?

We've just been to the Med last month from Barcelona to Venice (absolutely loved it, especially Amalfi Coast and Santorini) and listening to all the previous cruisers onboard about how one should definitely go to Istanbul and Ephesus - we decided to do that this coming year. Anyone else been there?

Hello,

I've been to both Istanbul (twice) and Ephesus (once), although neither times on a cruiseship. Turkey is probably my favourite country in the world (Prague, Krakow and Vienna rank in that order as prettiest cities).

Istanbul is fascinating.....go to the Aya Sofia (the first Christian church, 5th century AD, which became a Mosque and is now a museum), the Blue Mosque, the Topkapi Palace, Dolmabahce Palace, the Underground Cistern, the Grand Bazaar (and Spice Bazaar). If you get a chance go to the Ciragan Palace (now a Kempinski Hotel) which is located on the Bosphorus and have a drink at the Q bar (right on the water). Buy Turkish Delight (the real stuff is wonderful).

Ephesus is the most amazing "city", which is constantly being excavated. When I was last there, they were just opening up the "rich people's houses" on the hill for viewing.

You will have a fabulous time! Please let me know if you want more information.

Elin

OK, I'll start. Anyone book a cruise for one of the recently released 2005 itineraries yet? We just booked Athens to Rome, October 2005. Waiting that long is cruel and unusual punishment, but due work schedules, can't go in the spring. Anyone else?

Kathy[/quote

We are booked for Istanbul to Athens on Insignia Oct 2005. Has anyone done this trip and do you have any suggestions. Thanks

Elaine]

Elin thanks for your review of Turkey. I must say I'm now all charged up!!!

Did you stay in a hotel in Istanbul? We will be there for 2 days, I've been researching good hotels, but would appreciate your input. Never having been there, which is the most central/desirable area to stay in - I'm thinking waterfront - is this correct?

We are confirmed, booked on Regatta 10/8/05, Barcelona, Spain, Venice, Italy.

Penthouse Suite. Looking forward to this ship. I can't get enough of the readings regarding her. Anyone else on this ship, this date? Friends are joining us from Florida, we are No.California. Going on Regal Princess next month, have cruised this iten. before but love it. Just love to cruise....

Elin thanks for your review of Turkey. I must say I'm now all charged up!!!

Did you stay in a hotel in Istanbul? We will be there for 2 days, I've been researching good hotels, but would appreciate your input. Never having been there, which is the most central/desirable area to stay in - I'm thinking waterfront - is this correct?

Depending on what you want to spend ... great hotel on the water in Istanbul is Ciragan Palace. Very $$$$ but fabulous.

A bit into the city is Conrad ( Hilton) .

Hello,

I stayed in a small hotel that was in the Sultanahmet (old) area. It was walking distance to the Blue Mosque, Aya Sofia, Topkapi Palace, Cistern etc. The Palaces (Ciragan and Dolmabahce Palace were quite cab-able as was Taxim Square (cool restaurant area), and the great thing about Istanbul is taxis are cheap!!!!:) ).

The name of the hotel I stayed at was the Ibrahim Pasa Oteli was and it was also recommended in Lonely Planet (although my girlfriend in Istanbul booked it for me). It worked out to about $75US a night, if memory served me correctly. The location was good, the room was nice and clean with a private shower and it included breakfast.

If you want to stay somewhere fabulous, the Ciragan Palace (which was one of the former Palaces of the Sultans and is on the Bosphorus), is expensive but spectacular. The Four Season (also fab) used to be a jail (at the very least go there for brunch or drinks, so when you get stupid comments from people, saying "oh you went to Turkey, did you end up in jail?" because they have only seen "Midnight Express" you can quite honestly answer (as I did), "yes, and it is now a Four Seasons and it is spectacular!":D The Swissotel has a fantastic view of the Bosphorus and has a great brunch also. (I should mention that I have a girlfriend that used to live in Toronto and has for the last 9 years lived in Istanbul, so I have gone over twice to visit her. She travels in some good circles, so I probably saw a more upscale version of Istanbul and every good hotel/restaurant in the city!).

When in Istanbul you will be tempted to buy a rug (heck, I've bought 2 floor rugs, 1 wall rug and 1 runner)....the place I would recommend is Noah's Ark on Divanyolu (walking distance from the hotel and in the old area). The owners, Esat and Ali are very nice and the prices are very good (this was a recommendation from friends who used to live in England, and in spite of their instructions I found the place by accident and still bought from them). If you want more info I can send it to you, but they will ship everywhere (I lugged it back both times in my suitcase!).

I probably can't tell you how much I love Turkey! I really do think that it is a wonderful country. You will have a great time there (I'm quite jealous and I keep trying to think of excuses for why I have to go over to visit again).

Have a great time. If you want any information, please let me know. I am more then happy to share!

Elin

Thanks Elin - you've been a tremendous help. You mentioned that you know of some great restaurants - any you'd like to tell us about?

Also, you didn't mention how far (walking or taxi distance) the Grand Bazaar was from any of these hotels?

Jackie

Hi Jackie,

Walking distance from the hotels to the areas in the older part of town was not more then about a 10 minute walk (there is also a tram you can take). The furthest walk was to the Topkapi and that was not even 15 minutes. The restaurants were great. The food is very fresh and not a lot of it is fried so it is very healthy. I will look up some restaurants that we went to and post them. Expensive places were the Ciragan Palace (try to get the table that overlooks the piazza area and the Bosphorus), the Four Seasons and the Swissotel (really great Sunday brunch). Again, I was going to these places with my girlfriend that lived there.

There was another restaurant called Magnolia (I think) and a great one across from Noah's Ark. There was a restaurant also called Paper Moon that was in the (very very) large shopping mall (which won all these "best mall in Europe" awards fror 3 years running). We also went to a place called Sunset which was up the hill but overlooked the Bosphorus and the "Asian side" (Istanbul is the only city that straddles two continents, Europe and Asia...it is kind of fun to drive over both sides). I will look up the names and post them a little later.

Thanks.

Elin

We just returned from the August 31 Venice to Athens cruise on the Insignia, and we loved every minute of it. While on board we booked the July 20 2005 Dover to Stockholm cruise on the Regatta. On both cruises we took the same cabin in the A1 category on Deck 7.

My wife and I have been on over 30 cruises (eight of them with Seabourn), and we have traveled both of these itineraries a number of times. I have nothing but praise for Oceania. There are some small details that that could be changed or improved on any cruise line, but I believe that Oceania has come up with a unique combination that offers a luxury experience at middle-range prices. The ships are beautiful, and the multi-national crews work exceptionally well together. Everyone seems to be unfailingly courteous and helpful. If the weather cooperates, you should have a wonderful experience on the Dover to Stockholm cruise.

we just returned from tahiti on the tahitian princess. i know this is the same ships that ociana has . we had a mini suite on deck 8. do you know if ther is any differance in the cabins? we liked the cruise, but we want something a liitle more upscale. we are looking into athens to venice in sept. or oct. we are experianced travelers but not exp. cruisers. every port will be a repeat for us , but we just want try seeing them with out the packing and unpacking. if money is no object would you recomend oceana or seaborn?

thanks hal

[quote name='regent218']we just returned from tahiti on the tahitian princess. i know this is the same ships that ociana has . we had a mini suite on deck 8. do you know if ther is any differance in the cabins? we liked the cruise, but we want something a liitle more upscale. we are looking into athens to venice in sept. or oct. we are experianced travelers but not exp. cruisers. every port will be a repeat for us , but we just want try seeing them with out the packing and unpacking. if money is no object would you recomend oceana or seaborn?
thanks hal[/QUOTE]

Next time try an Owners' Suite on Oceania. They are wonderful.

[quote name='zebra']Join us and sign up on Yahoo for the Oceania Party on this sailing. I know it's a year away, but just maybe there's someone out there that's as crazy as us and has also booked so far in advance. :D[/QUOTE]

You aren't the only "cruise crazy" my friend. We booked our "upcoming" LOL South America cruise a year ago..now we have only 3 more months to wait..
:-)

Archived