Embarking on QM2 Today!

Maharlika

On the Mediterranean Explorer IV:-) I'm so excited. I've been in London now for 3 days from Los Angeles, CA. I thought it would be a good idea to get the British vibe and get over the jetlag. I'm transfering from Victoria coach station to Southampton. It's going to be a 12 day cruise and I can't wait. After all these months of shopping, preparation I can't believe it's happening. I've been reading other threads and post and find it very helpful. Any tips advise for experienced Cunard passengers are welcome. Thank you for all the info!!:)

Hello!

My Mother is aboard the QM2 right now with you on the Mediterranean Explorer cruise.

Are you using the interactive e-mail from the TV in your room? I asked her to drop me an e-mail when she boarded to let me know she made it to the ship OK but I haven't heard from her. I assume she just can't figure out how to use it.

Hope you are having a wonderful time. It's the trip of a lifetime for my Mom and her friend.

• 3 weeks later...
Anxiously look forward to your report on your experience. We are booked on the Nov 25, 06 cruise and would certainly appreciate any tips you can provide

Have a great cruise

I am back from Queen Mary 2's Mediterranian Explorer IV ( Sept. 12-24th ). I am very happy with their London/Southampton transfers as they picked up our luggage at the Victoria Coach station only to find it sound and safe inside our cabin when we embarked on the Ship. My Stateroom w/ balcony on Deck 5 had sufficient closet space and always nice to be greeted with a bottle of champange and hor d' ourves! Brittania Grill was very good and the service was excellent. Our sommelier was adequate and I had a table for eight. This is a Mediterranean voyage of a lifetime and I give them good marks but not 100 percent. The Ship always arrived on time but I wished we had stayed in the ports a little longer. I booked for a tour on all the ports including Gibraltar and it just felt a little rushed. I heard that on some ships it leaves port at 11:00 P.M! I had dinner at Todd English on my birthday and the service was excellent. The food was also good but beware that the entrees are quite rich with sauces and creams. The King's Court is always open and proved to be convenient. There's always the selection at the Carvery, Lotus and Chef's Galley. I'd like to add that although I was satisfied with the service and overall quality of the King's Court I had a very unpleasant experience at the Chef's Galley. This is where they make your sandwiches for you. I was in line for a sandwich and the gentleman in front of the couple ahead of me ordered a hamburger. His burger was cooked to order and I thought it looked pretty good. When it was my turn to order, I requested for a cheeseburger. I was surprised that the chef already had a pre-cooked cheeseburger, put it on a bun and proceeded to serve it to me. The burger not only looked cold but BURNT! I was appalled and complained to the managing chef/supervisor about this incident. I would AVOID Chef's Galley at all cost and if you see Sham from Malaysia, make certain that he does not serve you cold and burnt food. He had no business being there and marred my otherwise wonderful experience with the Ocean Liner.

Overall, I had a good experience. I'll probably sail on the Queen Mary 2 again on a much longer voyage. Other than my Chef's Galley experience, I am pleased with the Cunard Line.

I too was on the Med. Explorer, I was part of the group (250 people) who came over on the crossing, took the Med. cruise and then cruised back to NYC (24 days).

Enjoyed it immensely and saw the ship from stem to stern.

Met some wonderful people on all three segments.

I dined in Britannia almost every evening. I found the King's Court sometimes too hectic and preferred being served in the dining room.

Dinner portions were more than adequate and I too found them sometimes a little heavy on the sauces and gravies.

Funny you should mention the chef's galley as that is a place where there always seems to be arguments between passengers and a fair bit of pushing in line!! Having said that- they do fantastic omelettes there in the mornings with a wide array of fillings- so don't avoid it!

Yes I've noticed some pushing at the King's Court. There seems to be a group of them. I usually go to to the Brittania Grill for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. Tea at Four O'Clock at the Queen's Room. The only time I eat at King's Court is for 'snacks' and a quick cup of coffee in the morning before I start my workout at the Canyon Ranch Spa. BTW--Simon's a great host at the Brittania Grill. He's marvelous!

Archived