Legend 7/2/04 Review (this is long)

egallag

The good and the not so good (no bad or ugly)

Well let me start with getting to and getting on the ship. I was dreading embarking in NYC with the horror stories I have heard, well, it went something like this....

I live in Pennsylvania about 120 miles from my front door to the cruise ship terminal. We drove to NYC and planned on leaving around 9 am, which means we were on the road by 10:40. Leaving at 10:40 am on the Friday of 4th of July weekend and having to go up the NJ turnpike, I was a little worried. But, we were in our stateroom by 2:10, cabins 7133 and 7125, balcony Verandah deck forward. About 2 hrs and 30 minutes driving time, with traffic and stops. I was VERY happy. We were the only ship in port that day so dropping off and parking weren't too bad. The only wait inside the terminal was security, so I didn't mind. After security it was a breeze.

2 suggestions: Have all of your docs ready and fill out the FunPass, our FunPass line moved much quicker.

Luggage: We got our luggage a couple of pieces at a time, but had arrived by time we finished early seating dining.

THE CRUISE

I chose this cruise primarily for the itinerary and was not disappointed. I love sea days and we had 2 down and 2 back. My daughters (14 and 16) wanted the islands and the beaches.

PORTS

San Juan

Well, we spent less time off of the ship here than the other 2 ports. It was very nice, but with the hours in port 3ish to midnight, no beach time. I promised my girls no historical sites on this vacation, have managed to get them some history on every family vacation. So, we did a little shopping and walking around and went back to the ship. If you would like to see Old San Juan or party at Senor Frogs you could probably find more to do.

St. Thomas

By far the stop with the most to do. Snorkeling, beaching, touring, and lots and lots of shopping. Loved St. Thomas...problem we had to Tender, takes away a lot of time. Was told cruise ships take turns doing this on busy days, and we drew the short straw this trip. Because of this we could have used more time in St. Thomas. But we got off at 9 am, earliest we could get off if not on a morning tour. Squeezed some shopping in during the morning and met at the pier to go snorkeling at 12:45. Both the shopping and the Snorkeling were awesome, we went to Coki beach.

Tortola

By far the prettiest island. My daughters were set on swimming with the dolpins and we were only in port until 2 pm, so that is all we did. But the drive to the dolphins was nice and the smile on my 14 year olds face was worth every penny I spent on the cruise. I of course got to stand in the 100 and some degree sun and 90 percent sweltering humidity and video tape, but again, worth it.

BACK TO THE SHIP

I will break this down: Ship, food, staff/service, passengers.

Ship

The Legend is nice. I loved the layout, easy to get around and did not feel crowded, accept for the occassional lines (talk about that later). My only other cruise was on the Destiny, I think the layout of the Legend was easier. Decor, ok, yes lots of urns. The one thing I found better on the Destiny was the ride, Destiny was smoother. Hit bad weather on both cruises and it was a lot less noticable on the Destiny. On the Legend at one point felt like I was in the middle on the Atlantic on my father-in-laws 30 ft fishing boat. But amenities, public spaces, etc. nicely laid out.

Food

Well, lets say that overall the food would rate a good, not great or bad, just good.

Food in Truffles (main dining room) was good, some nights better than good. Nice variety, nice presentation and tasty.

Food on Lido was ok, what I expected, tasty but not spectacular. The exception, the pizza...yummy!

Food in the Golden Fleece, VERY good!

Room service food. If you have the energy get up and go to one of the alternatives, bad and not much of a variety. Although morning coffee and a bagel wasn't too bad, beyond that wouldn't recommend.

Staff/Service

Room steward and assistant - Very friendly and efficient! The fact that they cleaned up after my teenage daughters all week, made me adore them. But add in everything else they do and how hard they work, they were exceptional.

Dining room waiter and assistant - Waiter was good, took a few days to warm up though. Assistant waiter was awesome! Funny, friendly and always seemed to be there whenever we needed anything.

Rest of dining room staff - Matre de and head waiter, not much interaction, we had a great booth for 4 from the beginning (early seating). Not sure which one does the announcements, but he was funny.

Golden Fleece staff - all I can say is wow!!!!!!!! Very much worth the $25 per person, just my husband and I went. We were pampered for 2.5 hours. If you go to the Golden Fleece do yourself and your fellow passengers a favor, if you have young children do not bring them. One family of 8 adults brought 4 children I would say between the ages of 7 and 10. They sat their children at a separate table behind them (like it was Thanksgiving dinner at home). The kids were bored and kept gettin up and down all night, one ran in to one of the waiters. Really not a place for a group of young children, they didnt seem to enjoy it any more than the staff. Enough staff on board to watch them for a couple of hours.

Cruise Director and Social staff - The cruise director was Brett Allens. He was painful to watch and be around. Thankfully he had a great support staff. The assistant director Dave was very good. And Owen and Kelly, social staff also very good.

Room service staff - Are these folks beaten each day? You would think. Not happy, order wrong 4 out of 5 times, and they were not in a hurry to fix it or apologize. And yes we do tip.

Rest of staff - Seemed if they were not personally taking care of you, they did not even want to bother with you. I found it sad that most looked pained when smiling. I blame this on the management, not the staff. Exception, Olivia in the Legend cafe. Have to give her a special mention. The cafe serves coffee, lattes, desserts. Olivia was mine and my husbands favorite person on the ship. We are coffee drinkers and smiled joked, remembered our orders after only 1 visit. If you go on the Legend tell her we said hi ;)

FELLOW PASSENGERS

All and all a nice group. Lots of kids on board, but no problems, the adults were worse than the kids, although no one was awful. Would like to see people have to take a general elevator, standing in line ettiquette class before cruising though.

I work in a high rise, some general elevator tips. PLEASE wait until the folks on the elevator get off before you try to cram on. If you arrive at an elevator and a few people are waiting, be aware of your surroundings and THEY go first.

If someone with a cane, walker, wheelchair is waiting and the elevators are crowded and you are otherwise healthy, take the stairs or wait and let them on first.

Standing in line - Find the line and get in it, DO NOT make your won.

Other than that other passengers friendly and fun. My girls met some new friends and so did we.

DEBARKATION

I am thinking Brett Allens had to be in charge of this, because just as with everthing else all week it ran late. BUT, once they called our color (we did not carry off, too many bags) we were off in a zip. 4 ships in port, but still not bad at all getting the car and picking up my family at the pier.

I really enjoyed this cruise, ups and downs as stated above. But 8 uninterrupted days with my family and I did not have to drive a car, as far as I am concerned....bliss!

Any other questions, or anything I missed please ask away.

Beth

Snowball:

I am sure you will have a great time. I am doing the CTN out of Baltimore on the Miracle in October with my sisters and friends. Leaving the hubby and kids home for that one. I am really looking forward to seeing the Miracle.

Beth

Archived