White tux or blacK?

Highly Sociable

I crossed the Atlantic on the QE2 5 times from 1975 to 1978. I was always in the Queens Grill and I never saw a white tuxedo, or even a white dinner jacket.

IMHO, White dinner jackets are appropriate only in the tropics or in the hottest days of summer; white trousers are never appropriate formal wear.

From the same site I found this.....

Most people when attending a black tie function want to add their own personal style to the dinner suit, and, in doing so, break some of the golden rules of formal dressing. All too often they will purchase bright coloured bow-ties, jazzy waistcoats or lerish cummerbunds in an attempt to look more stylish. The truth, however, is that any deviation from that of tradition will have the opposite effect and possibly bring attention of the wrong kind to the wearer. Bowties that look as if they may light up and spin round ..blah, blah, blah, yada, yada, yada...

Okay there then!

Who the heck made up all of these rules, and what were they drinking at the time? This person must feel pretty powerful, bullying the rest of the sentient lemming world! My goodness! If two women showed up looking the exact same, like photocopies or some horrible nightmare of identical twins, triplets, quads, or however many men there were, there would either be a major catfight, or several of them would leave and go home to change or shopping to buy a new gown!

Dear me! If every man dressed alike like automatons or robots, I think I should be doubled over laughing at the mere cartoony sight of it!

Well, I am now declaring myself the new Queen of Style. I will be the new Arbiter of Taste, from here on out. You must conform to MY dressing rules or you shall simply be ostracized from any social function more formal than babysitting dribbling toddlers.

You may submit your suggestions to me, I shall think them over and make a determination as to whether or not your attire will be appropriate for the function, and level of class required. Of course, my determination shall ALWAYS be made with nary enough time to go out and purchase replacements for your dreadful faux pas.

And there will be no appeals. MY WORD IS FINAL!

And if you should have the screaming audacity to show up in non-approved "garb", rest assured:

WE shall not be amused!!!!!

:mad::eek:

Karie,

Who rather LIKES this new role of imperiousness. I think I shall wear it well!

YOU! OVER THERE! IN THE WHITE SOCKS, BROWN SANDALS, AND HAIRY LEGS! YES YOU! Come here! I need to speak with you! <sigh!>

:rolleyes:

Who the heck made up all of these rules, and what were they drinking at the time?

No-one sat down and made up the rules. They are a convention that has been developed over time.

Although I suspect that isn't news....:D

More seriously, there is scope for being individual even against formal rules. Cufflinks, watches, shirt studs etc all give one the scope to change look from night to night.

Yellow and rose gold look very different from platinum and white gold. Mother of pearl looks very different to the traditional black shirt studs.

Diamonds can be used subtly if required.

None of these require breaking the "rules".

Karie:

LOL, LOL, LOL!!!:D :D You are a positive HOOT! I'm with you, babe. Be as imperious as you want. You deserve to be. I'm a HUGE fan of your posts.

Who cares what the men wear--as long as it is 'formal' when formal is called for. White, black--I think either color DJ looks divine on the guys. So, leave 'em be. They're doing fine with whatever color they wear;) .

You go, girl!

Karie:

LOL' date=' LOL, LOL!!!:D :D You are a positive HOOT! I'm with you, babe. Be as imperious as you want. You deserve to be. I'm a HUGE fan of your posts.[/font']

Who cares what the men wear--as long as it is 'formal' when formal is called for. White, black--I think either color DJ looks divine on the guys. So, leave 'em be. They're doing fine with whatever color they wear;) .

You go, girl!

Men? Guys?

I thought we were discussing Gentlemen.......;)

I grew up in southern California and never heard of half of this sillyness. If anyone wants to find me I will be in the Queens grill in a white dinner jacket with a black stripe through the lapel.:)

But not during the crossing,... because my wife won't let me.:confused:

I grew up in southern California and never heard of half of this sillyness. If anyone wants to find me I will be in the Queens grill in a white dinner jacket with a black stripe through the lapel.:)

But not during the crossing,... because my wife won't let me.:confused:

ROFLOL!!!

In the end, all of the social conventions and rules in the world cannot overcome what their wives proclaim!

Captain Rad, I'll just bet that Admiral Rad (the boss, you know!) is a wonderful and refined lady!

And truly, we are what keeps you gents on formal night from sitting in the Golden Lion, Shirttails out, screaming at the Telly for your favorite football teams (American football, or the rest of the world's football!)

Hey, if University of Tennessee was playing I'd be elbowing you out of the way for a front row seat!

Karie,

who believes it is entirely ladylike to yell, "HOW 'BOUT THEM VOLS!" and give the two finger whistle! (if I could. just learn how...wait, I feel it coming on, "How do you whistle? Well it's simple really, you just put your lips together... and blow!" Bogey and Bacall, Her debut, in "To have and Have Not, 1944 Howard Hawks

ROFLOL!!!

In the end, all of the social conventions and rules in the world cannot overcome what their wives proclaim!

Captain Rad, I'll just bet that Admiral Rad (the boss, you know!) is a wonderful and refined lady!

And truly, we are what keeps you gents on formal night from sitting in the Golden Lion, Shirttails out, screaming at the Telly for your favorite football teams (American football, or the rest of the world's football!)

Hey, if University of Tennessee was playing I'd be elbowing you out of the way for a front row seat!

Karie,

who believes it is entirely ladylike to yell, "HOW 'BOUT THEM VOLS!" and give the two finger whistle! (if I could. just learn how...wait, I feel it coming on, "How do you whistle? Well it's simple really, you just put your lips together... and blow!" Bogey and Bacall, Her debut, in "To have and Have Not, 1944 Howard Hawks

Do Gentleman scream out for anything?

Who the heck made up all of these rules

Does it matter?I'd take them as guidelines rather than rules - guidelines that, if followed, won't spoil your evening by making you feel wrongly dressed. You don't have to abide by them, but most other people will.

My goodness! If two women showed up looking the exact same, like photocopies or some horrible nightmare of identical twins, triplets, quads, or however many men there were, there would either be a major catfight, or several of them would leave and go home to change or shopping to buy a new gown!

You're talking "women" here. A gentleman would never get involved in a cat fight I wouldn't expect a lady to either (at least not in public ). The term woman is akin to fish wife - I wouldn't expect them to know any better.

Well, I am now declaring myself the new Queen of Style.

UDI again? Haven't you learnt that doesn't always work!

YOU! OVER THERE! IN THE WHITE SOCKS, BROWN SANDALS, AND HAIRY LEGS! YES YOU!

I don't wear the sandals but the rest of the description fits. What do you want with me? (and how can you see my legs? I'm wearing jeans )

Who cares what the men wear--as long as it is 'formal' when formal is called for.

Who cares what a woman wears? - As long as it hides the embarrassing parts!:D Ladies, just because your man doesn't get you to watch and advise while he tries on six or seven dinner suits doesn't mean that what he wears isn't important to him. He then doesn't try on an eighth suit, one that you've never seen before and are very sure was expensive, and decide to wear that. Then he blames you because one of the 1000 other passengers was wearing something similar!

Get two men together and they will talk clothes, but not to the exclusion of everything else.

(Rereading this before I post it seems very misogynistic - It is not meant as an attack on women, just a joke.)

THIS HAS BEEN A FUN THREAD.

I AN WITH "QUEEN" KARIE ALL THE WAY.

WE LEAVE HOME IN 1 HOUR TO FLY TO SOUTHAMPTON TO JOIN QM2 FOR A BACK TO BACK TRANSATLANTIC CROSSING :D :D :D

TOM AND UNA :) :)

Tom - where in the world are you? You're not flying from the US to the UK to do a back to back are you?

THIS HAS BEEN A FUN THREAD.

I AN WITH "QUEEN" KARIE ALL THE WAY.

WE LEAVE HOME IN 1 HOUR TO FLY TO SOUTHAMPTON TO JOIN QM2 FOR A BACK TO BACK TRANSATLANTIC CROSSSING :D :D :D

TOM AND UNA :) :)

Bon Voyage Tom & Una. Please be sure and post a review of your experiences. We are doing the b2b next July on the Queen.

Archived