How to pack formal wear?

St.Love

Depending on the bulk, length, and fabric factors....

I will either pack them in the suitcase or usually a garment bag.

My large suitcase is a "suiter" which has a bulit in garment bag area.

I wrap them in tissue and the plastic dry cleaner bags... then carefully place in either of the above.

I do not have any problems!;)

* Have your garment(s) cleaned/pressed just before and pack it straight from the cleaners

Yes, you can pack formal wear in a suitcase but it does much better in a garment bag. If you are buying one, get the ladies' dress size as it is longer than the one that holds men's suits. Ladies formal wear will be longer than the bag so you put everything in and then turn up the hems of the dresses to fit. Use several sheets of tissue in the fold to reduce creasing. If you are traveling as a twosome, pack all the formal wear (for you and your companion) and your dressy outfits in the garment bag and use a suitcase for all your other clothes. Clothes go into a cleaners plastic bag first whether in a garment bag or suitcase. Utilize all the pockets as well for other items. I have not needed to press anything using this method.

This will give you 3 bags between 2 people.....but today you have to watch the weight so you don't exceed the 50 lb. usual limit per bag. Also, you will need to pack your toiletry liquids in a checked bag and that will most likely increase the weight.

Archived