Anyone ever just wing it?

star10

we are a "wing it" kind of family...sometimes its good and sometimes its bad...I think it def. matters what port you are going to for example it's ok to wing it in Cozumel if you are just going to carlos and charlies and maybe a few shops along the way...it was also okay to wing it in Grand Cayman but not in Jamaica because some areas could be very dangerous for you.

Sometimes when you wing it you miss out on some really great possibly once in a lifetime excursion opportunities...I guess it just depends on what you are interested in doing :)

Anyone ever go on a cruise and not have any excursions planned? I'm sure there are people out there... how does that work out?

I'm starting to think that maybe I overplan? I don't know...

What are the pros and cons?

the pro's are you can do what you want when you want and not worry..

the con's if you do decide onboard to book an excursion they might be sold out...

but heck we only have one planned on our cruise with 3 ports...that way we can either go to a beach or stay on ship, depends on how we feel.:)

We often go without excursions planned. That isn't to say we haven't researched and thought about the excursions available, we just haven't always committed early. You can still book excursions on board (before or after the briefing on the excursions) and you can book them off-ship at the ports. You can also wander on your own (most ports) and most are safe enough (though I agree w/ Cruzfreak that Jamaica can be dicey). You do risk being shut out of certain excursions offered by Carnival, but that doesn't mean it won't be available in port.

The bottom line is- if there is something you definitely don't want to miss, then prebook, if not, relax and wing it, you're on vacation!

Enjoy!

bill

I didn't plan any for our first cruise mainly because I didn't want to spend the money on the shore excursions. I didn't think I'd missed anything and I was fine with that.

On the second cruise, I booked one through the cruise line. It was okay but I wasn't that thrilled with it.

The third cruise I booked everything independently (online before we went) and I was really happy with every tour.

Our fourth cruise is coming up in October and I've booked one through the ship (for convenience sake), one independently because it's cheaper (and better according to the boards), and we've even booked a night at a restaurant on shore (we're in port until 10:00) which I booked on line independently from the cruise line. Additionally, we're going to "wing it" in the other ports although I've "done my homework" and I have ideas on where to go and what to do IF we feel like and I know what beaches we can go to if we feel like doing nothing at all. Same with the rental car. I booked one in advance on one cruise (in St. John) and that worked out great. This time, I'm not sure if we'll even feel like getting off the ship at St. Thomas, much less taking the ferry to St. John and getting a rental car. So, I haven't booked a rental car for that day.

I feel much more relaxed about this cruise and I don't feel so pressured "to get everything in." I guess, for me, it just took some experience to feel more comfortable with not planning something for every day!

Bon Voyage,

Karen:rolleyes:

I never book excursions... I guess if there was something I REALLY wanted to do, I would... I prefer to plan just a day at the beach, leisurely get off the ship and enjoy my day. Too much planning can take the fun out of cruising.

We always 'wing it'. 3 cruises, and the only time I ever booked through Carnival, it was rained-out(Glass bottom boat).

Just recently in San Juan, a tour sold for $38pp on board, at the pier $20 pp.

In St. Thomas, walked off and found plenty of taxies and a organized (somewhat) situation. We were pointed towards our bus/taxie and off to Coki beach. Once there we walked on to the AM SNUBA dive( I do advise reserving this, he has limited space, either direct or with Carnival).

Same for Tortola. Just walk off and as long as you have a plan, no problem.

vincenzo:)

it doesn't turn out real well. My mom and her fiancee decided to go on a cruise after hearing about what a total BLAST we had on ours (we had booked two through Carnival, which were less than I expected; and one independently, which ROCKED). I had a whole sheet on their options as far as excursions go, but they were too lazy to book anything prior to their departure. What ended up happening was that they got off the ship in each port (Cozumel, Costa Maya and Belize, I believe) and had ZERO clue on what was available to them, so they ended up wandering around the "tourist trap" shopping areas near the port. They didn't get to see any of the islands they went to, experience the local people, even eat any of the local treats. NADA. The result was them coming home really disappointed.

There are also some ports (I'm not sure which ones) which booking REPUTABLE (meaning, to me, either through the ship or someone recommended on the ports boards here on CC) excursions is HIGHLY recommended...either because the local population/climate is unstable (I think it was Belize where a bunch of people who went canoeing or something got hijacked on the river, the thieves stole clothes, money, EVERYTHING) or there isn't much to just walk off the ship and do (like Dominica, I think, is pretty under-developed and not a lot of things to do and see unless you're on a tour).

My theory is that I like to take excursions, but also, if possible, leave time to explore just a bit. I wouldn't recommend "winging it", but, as always, that's just my opinion, take it or leave it. :)

I haven't booked an excursion since my very first cruise 'way back in 1987. It turned out to be a dud on St. Thomas, so since then I just do a lot of homework, know where I want to go and what I want to do on each island before we arrive. I grab a cab and I'm off. Never been disappointed.:)

We 'wing it' in most ports, but that doesn't mean I haven't read up on my options and local things to do. Just because I haven't booked anything, doesn't mean I don't know what is out there.

We do book excursions through the ship in Belize though, just because of the atmosphere of that port. Safety first!

I couldn't handle just going on a trip ANYWHERE without having some sort of plan. Whether or not it is set in stone is a whole other ballgame, but I am a bit of a control freak. :)

A little research and a little knowledge about what is available will go a long way in making the trip more fun!

Anyone ever go on a cruise and not have any excursions planned? I'm sure there are people out there... how does that work out?

I'm starting to think that maybe I overplan? I don't know...

What are the pros and cons?

My thoughts on this subject. I live between Jax and Port Canaveral so several of my cruises have been to the Bahamas for a quick and short get-a-way. I would never say I've seen everything that Nassau has to offer but I do believe I HAVE seen everything that Carnival wants me to see on the Island so yes to your question. We just "wing it" at this destination. It makes for a very relaxing cruise. Now having said that, we sail on the Liberty in November and one of our stops is Panama and since I've never been there, I'm going to trust in Carnival to show me a good time:)

We do our homework ahead of time, then if the ship offers something we like at a reasonable price, we book it. Sometimes we book indy, and sometimes we just get off the ship and see what's cookin'. Our next cruise we have a coupla ships, one indy, and in Costa Rica we plan to stroll off the boat and see what happens.

Depends on the port and country.

Some places you can wander around safely, some places you cannot.

Do research.

In Panama, we haggled with some cabbies to get 10 of us to Gatun Locks and back as well as a bit of tour and got a good deal and had a good time.

This upcoming trip on Valor, we have no planned excursions but a rough idea of how we'll spend those days, but it is still a loose plan.

Normally, I am a detailed planner, but on cruises I research in detail, but don't pay to get stuck into some structured thing....My way on my time

We are headed out in October for Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Belize and Costa Maya and don't have any idea what we will end up doing at any of them.

On the other hand, last March on the Pride...we prebooked 2 independent tours at Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan and knew we were just going to Mango's in Cabo.

So it all depends.

I wing it, but do some research first, likes these boards. (Unless you want to just do a drinking boat tour--those can be fun). In any of the Mexico ports, I recommend hiring a taxi for a day (the more people, the merrier) and tell the driver what you're are interested in seeing/doring and tell the driver you want to eat authentic mexican food...a place he would eat. You'll most likely be taken to a place off the beaten path and you will enjoy the best Mexican food you've ever tried!

I always wing it. Haven't booked an excursion since - I can't even remember when - 25 years, maybe?

I don't like any schedules when I cruise. In port, if I feel like going ashore, I can always hop a taxi or book something local - or not. Many times, depending upon the port, I may just rent a car. I do a lot of research on the islands, decide what I might want to do and go from there. In addition, I have been to many of the islands multiple times and sort of know what I want to do there.

I know this may not be everyone's choice but it works for me. I don't like long lines, motor coaches, people who are late, being dropped off at some shopping area.

Besides, if I did book a tour, I may not feel like getting out of bed that morning - then I would either get up, go and feel grumpy or go back to sleep and lose the money.....HA! All kidding aside, I cruise for the sea, my balcony, the food, tea time and lots of lazing around. "Snail's pace" is perfect for me.:p

I haven't booked an excursion since my very first cruise 'way back in 1987. It turned out to be a dud on St. Thomas, so since then I just do a lot of homework, know where I want to go and what I want to do on each island before we arrive. I grab a cab and I'm off. Never been disappointed.:)

Ditto!!! Just do your homework, and you will have a great time!!!

I cruise for the sea, my balcony, the food, tea time and lots of lazing around. "Snail's pace" is perfect for me.:p

In my opinion, this quote from " Seamama1" sums up what cruising is all about. If you go with an attitude like this, then "Wingin it" fits in perfectly. I guess some folks like a structured day each and everyday but for some of us sleeping in is not a bad thing and then when you wake up, everyone is off the ship already! No lines to fight. What a deal!:)

wing it (for the first 8 cruises with lots of research) we always do our own thing.

My first cruise in 99, we had everything plan out, knew exactly what we were going to do at each of the 4 ports and had a blast....

Not so much planning the next 7 ;)

Finally my next cruise #9 in Oct, my best friend and I have book a snorkleing excursion from Carnival....so wish us luck ;)

Tina

Archived