Grand Princess out of Galveston

racepoint

For Galveston, you have 2 airport options. The closest is Houston Hobby (HOU) which is about 45 minutes to an hour away from port. It's served by Southwest, Airtran, and a few of the majors. Your other choice is George Bush (IAH) which is 1.5 to 2 hours away from the port but is served by all the major airlines so you will have more flight choices.

There are several nice hotels in Galveston, but book Hotel Galvez or Tremont House if you are wanting atmosphere. They are both beautiful historic hotels that are owned by Wyndam. They are not the cheapest in Galveston but are reasonable, if booked through the cruiseline.

I agree with the Galvez and Tremont, especially the Tremont.

Both of these are much "older" hotels that have been completely rennovated. The tremont has wooden floors and iron bed frames. Very quaint, with excellent in-house dinning.

But, there is another hotel right at the terminal: Habor House. Modern,

convenient with close dining.

None of these are cheap, but book far enough ahead, you might get a deal. I live in Houston (Clear Lake City) Texas and have stayed at all of these hotels.

Oh, I almost forgot the San Luis on the sea wall. Large, modern (think Marriott or Sheraton). But expensive.

Bon Voyage!

You can look into a ride to and from the airport with Galveston Limousine located on 53rd and Avenue U.

I think the Harbor House and the Tremont will let you park your vehicle while on short cruises, if you stay there also.

The Hotel Galvez had a shuttle to the port.

Your choice of airport might be restricted if they are ot served by one of the carriers into Hobby.

Also, if you are coming in early and into Bush, anticipate a LONG ride to Galveston. Houston traffic rivals LA and the Chicago Expressway system.

Morning rush hour is 4am to 12pm, afternoon rush hour begins at 12:01pm until 9pm.

Morning rush hour isnt quite that bad. I gets busy from 7am -9:30am or so and again from 4pm-7pm. If you try Priceline, and choose 3 star hotel, you will get either Tremont or Galvez usually as these are the only 3 star other than San Luis but it is not a chain hotel so priceline wont use it. We got the Tremont once for $70 in the peak summer. Loved it!

We flew to Houston Hobby the day before, took the Galveston Limo to Tremont, had a wonder sea food dinner at the Landry's what ever restaurant name it is near the cruise dock and took the hotel limo (free) straight to the Grand Princess the next morning. There's a small Galveston museum near the Tremont and the cruise dock water front is within walking distance from the hotel. Sadly Princess is leaving Galveston after this Spring.

I'm looking at booking the Grand out of Galveston April 'o7. What's the name of the airport I want to fly into and where would you suggest for a 2 day stay prior to the cruise that is economical AND has atmosphere.?

If possible, fly into Hobby Airport. It's much closer to Galveston than Bush Intercontinental. Let me think about lodging. Are you interested in staying in Galveston or Houston? Ciao, artcarfan

Archived