Crepe's in eastern Canada?

iduck

Here in Montreal, the only thing I can think of that you can buy that you eat "on the street" is a beaver tail. It's not really a crepe, nothing like what you had in Vancouver. I don't know about Halifax or the other parts, when I was in New Brunswick (land trip) I didn't see any of that.

You can buy a crepe in a restaurant (sit down).

A beaver tail is fried dough and they put different toppings on (your choice), the most common is cinamon and sugar it's shaped like a beaver tail eaten warm. It's not street vendors we don't really have street vendors for food, but there is a place in Old Montreal near the docks that sells it.

Thanks for the post! The ones in Vancouver were sold in a cafe and people were outside eating them. It was my first experience having a crepe and I loved it. Since then I had one in Las Vegas and it was floating in liquid....ugh:(

I understand. I've never seen it here to be honest. There are some "crepe restaurants" in Montreal and they usually come with no syrup, with fillings and you can put the syrup on yourself if you like.

The desert ones may have a syrup. If you are in Montreal, near the ship docks there is a restaurant called Jardin Nelson that has come "crepes" but they all have fillings in them and it's a sit down restaurant.

I've been to Quebec City a lot, can't remember if there are any like similar to Vancouver. I'm not that big on crepes maybe you will see something similar in Quebec City. Can't speak for the rest of Canada.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy your trip, healthy, happy, safe travels.

:) aloha

the best crêpes in Montréal are at Ty-Breiz on Rachel street close to lafontaine's park

they have been making them since 1959

they can be made as a meal or as a desert crêpe, with filing like hot apples and icecream, any type of season fruits, if you go for the meal type, my favorite is mushroom, swiss cheez and ham, it's yummiiiiiiii delicious, probably available in Québec city also at different places, and other way you could get crêpes is at the Supermarket wether in Montréal or Québec cityv at chains stores likes IGA, Metro or Provigo, and get some real maple syrup to go with that, you'll love it, enjoy!!!!

Aloha lady..were the crepes you had in Vancouver a soft crepe, or something that was crispy and firm. Any crepes I've ever had are a very, very thin soft pancake filled with either savoury or sweet fillings (syrup is optional) I've always eaten them with a fork. I can't imagine being able to hold them in your hands to eat them. Years ago, when we lived in Quebec City, a special treat was to eat at Au Petit Coin Bretonne, 1029 St-Jean St, (Near Ste-Ursule), Québec, QC G1R 1R9 Canada

From another site (yahoo) I quote...

Satisfying and surpassing any and all crepe cravings, this small restaurant is known for its succulent crepes filled with cheese, asparagus, mushrooms, seafood, and more. Large salads and appetizers, like parmesan fondue and shrimp cocktail, are also on the menu. For dessert, try crepes stuffed with pears, chocolate, whipped cream, strawberries, and other treats. To add to its typical Breton atmosphere, waitresses wear the traditional blue dress, white apron, and headdress.

Other locations at 655 Grande Allee East (+1 418 525 6904) and 2600 Laurier Blvd (+1 418 653 6051).

Information by Wcities

Open Hours: 11a-9p Mon-Fri; 9a-11p Sat; 9a-9p Sun

I can't give you a current recommendation for this restaurant since it's been years since I've been there....but it was a real treat way back when...

This is so interesting. Thank you for all the information. In Vancouver I think the way they do it is they have a circle of paper that they fold and then they lay the crepe on the paper and after they put the filling in they roll it into a cone and hand it to you! it is not crisp! Really strange but it is like tacos here ....no two places are exactly the same! We are going to Alaska next August and we told our friends that we had to either start or end in Vancouver so we could have our crepes! Too funny!:)

This won't help you one little bit with your Canada/New England cruise but if you are ever in Boca Raton they have a kiosk near the food court in the large mall there that sells what I think you are referring to. You can choose from about 30 or more fillings such as meats and cheeses or veggies or deserts. We opted for the one with bananas, strawberries, and nutella with whipped creme. Awesome! I was under the impression that this is a chain and I believe it was called Crepe Maker or The Crepe Maker or something similar. Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

I just returned from New England/Canada cruise. In Quebec, we did the tour to the Sugar Shack, and they had crepes for dessert. They served them flat, but we rolled them up with strawberry whipped cream in the center. I didn't want to mix the strawberry with maple syrup, so ate two!

10363.jpgThis is what they looked like.:D They would be messy to walk around eating, I would think.

• 1 month later...
True crepes.... like the ones you buy from the street vendors in Paris... should always be eaten while standing or walking... with Nutella leaking out the bottom.... Oh... I miss Paris!

EXACTLY! That's what I was picturing when OP said they were rolled in a cone and they ate them walking.

Archived