single mom

herrbeeb

i searched family for "single parent" and didn't really see what i was looking for. i am a widow with 3 teens, 18, 16 and 15. this will be our second cruise without dad. the mediterranean cruise was so busy i did not look for adult company but the christmas cruise may be different.

are ther any other single parents out there who have reached out to other (older) adults on a cruise? how did you do it?

herrbeeb

I recommend going to the singles meeting the first night and the singles cocktail party. They have fun and unique ways (ie: games and such) to get you to meet the other singles and learn their names. Be yourself (your confident self) and the rest will fall into place.

Just a thought. I'm not single now but I was on my first cruise. I was also a single parent for years so I understand your situation.

Above all else.......leave the expectations at home ! Have fun.

Hi -

I am also a widow and I love cruising with my daughters, but I don't participate in the singles activities. I do know that there are those gatherings on board if you are looking to specifically meet other singles. If you're just looking for adult company, all you have to do is participate in activities and ask to sit at large tables in the dining room when you go for lunch or dinner. Whenever there is a game being played on board, I go and am always invited to join a team since lots of teams will look for one more player - it's a great way to meet people. Same with shore excursions. I find people on ships so open to meeting others and letting me join their group - as opposed to at a resort where everyone pretty much keeps to themselves.

Have a great time!

Best,

Mia

I am a single mom as well. Personally, I think a cruise is the ultimate vacation for a single parent!!

I agree with some of the previous tips....

- A Cruise Critic Roll Call thread is a great way to "meet" people. On one of my previous cruises the thread was very active and we met up several times during the cruise. I had dinner with a couple of these folks on the night we were in port and dinner was open seating and the kids were more interested in pizza.

- I always request a large table.

- I have found that shore excursions booked via the cruiseline tend to give me the opportunity to meet people better than those I have booked privately.

- Getting into games and fun is also very good! I was recognized all over the ship one time when I participated in a stage show.

- Attend events that interest you! For example, I am a "wine person" so I made sure that I went off to the wine tastings. It is easy to chat with people in these smaller venues espescially when you are doing something that you enjoy and there is a common thread.

- Don't be shy!! It is absolutely fine to head over to the Paino Bar etc by yourself. I have always come across many couples that "split up" for part of the evening and hit different venues depending on what entertains them (one person likes to gamble and one person does not etc). You will most likely not be the only person who starts out alone and once the fun gets going everyone is your friend :)

- There are many opportunities to chat with people.....have a cup of coffee out on deck in the morning or in a lounge with music in the late afternoon...I have found that people on a cruise tend to be much more friendly and willing to chat than other places...especially if you ask them about cruising :)

- Checking out the singles gatherings is not a bad idea. I have seen people of all ages attend those and met people whose focus was simply meeting others like themselves (and you) and NOT thinking of it as a "singles meeting hook up" event. I think this really varies sailing to sailing but it is worth taking a peek and checking it out in my opinion.

ENJOY!!

Archived