Boarding the ship

teacher2cruiser

Is checking your luggage a must, or are you allowed to carry your own? If you want to take some bottled water and diet coke in your carry on, is this ok? Is it legal?

Yes, if you can carry your bags on one trip. They discourage passengers from making two or more trips. So pack light if you wish to carry your bags aboard.

Soda and bottled water is okay. But why carry on bottled water, as the water from the taps aboard the ships is probably purer than the water in your bottles? The only reason that makes sense to me is to have water for shore excursions, but then, you can bottle your own water aboard the ship free. All you need is bottles......

I realize the water in the taps on the ship is safe to drink but a couple times I have seen light brown water come out of the taps. I was told the system was recently flushed out.......the bottom line is I don't want to drink brown water; be safe, bring your bottled water and when it runs out drink the onboard water.

Just my opinion.

Is checking your luggage a must, or are you allowed to carry your own? If you want to take some bottled water and diet coke in your carry on, is this ok? Is it legal?

Not sure how this would work since all items that you have with you have to go through those scanning machines. I don't think they are big enough for large pieces of luggage. There is a size limitation that I heard about and I don't know what that is but I would call NCL first and ask if it's an important issue for you.

Also, it is perfectly fine to take your own water and soda...at least it was last time I heard.

I have never seen anyone bring on any large luggage. Everything that you carry on goes through a scanner that is basically the same size as you find at the airport for your carryon.

If you can fit everything into a couple of carryons per person, it might work. However, if you want to bring on the water and soda, that would probably take another piece of luggage.

As far as leaving the ship, if you can carry all of your luggage off with you, you can get early disembarkation.

Personally, we take on one carry on each and have the other pieces brought up by the porters and stewards.

Charlie

Our last two cruises we carried everything on and off - a small rolling suitcase and an overnight bag each. The suitcases fit OK through the scanner so we had no problems.

This trip it's going to be laughable how much stuff we're bringing with the baby! We'll need a dozen porters. :)

I was wondering the same thing about boarding with luggage.

We always take our own luggage off the ship with NCL. On our last NCL cruise we never did get luggage tags for disembarking. So on the last day we just got up, had breakfast, packed up our stuff and got off when we wanted to. No line, no mess and no hunting for luggage.

We had such late boarding on the last cruise that our luggage was handed over and whisked up to our cabin almost before we got there.

When we boarded the Dawn in NY last November, we were not allowed to roll our dive bag on because it wouldn't fit thru the scanner. Of course our regular suitcases wouldn't have fit either, but we had checked them with a porter. So then one of us had to go out and check our dive bag with the porter while the other stood with our 2 carryon bags and the rolling cooler. In the rolling cooler we had water and caffeine-free diet soda. No problem with that or our carry ons which were the size of small totes---smaller than the allowable airline carryons. It seemed that any typical 21inch carryons which would be allowed on a plane were no problem.

Archived