Hiring" Local Drivers"

Queensland Girl

Having read about winding and narrow roads, and because we are from Australia, and drive on opposite side of roads, I was wondering if there would be "Local Drivers" with a car for 6 people that we could hire for the day. We would love to do Road to Hana and it sounds too difficult for Aussies. We would be happy to do this at Maui: &Kauai , so we could go to Waimea Canyon. Would we have any trouble driving to Lahaina on Maui ourselves. Also, when we are at Hilo, I thought the road to the Volcanoes National Park , we would be ableto manage. Is that correct. If anybody out there knows how we could reserve a car and driver ( for 6 people), please let me know. Thanks heaps.

Okay, just my opinon here, but I think the Road to Hana is a lttle over-rated and your time would be better spent explore other parts of Maui. The island itself is really beauiful and the roads are not treacherous - except possibly for the drive up to Haleakala. There are lots of companies that offer day trips there (like Roberts and Gray Line) that use small mini buses. That might work best for your group. Also in Kauai, I would suggest scrape the drive and, if possible, choose a helicopter tour instead. The Waimea Canyon is beautiful on the ground, but in the air, the words fail to describe it.

The drive up to VNP is very easy and you shouldn't have any trouble as long as you remember which side to drive on - not trying to be flip, we've had some interesting adventures driving in other countries. and it is honestly hard to remember sometimes. It's a lovely drive and you'll enjoy the volcanos. Make sure to stop off at the Forstry/visitor center just across from Vocano House for info, as well as stopping at the jagger Observatory. It will give you a good overview of the park and volcanos before you venturing into the crater.

Enjoy the islands!

Charlie

In Kauai you might want to consider this less expensive alternative for seeing the island from the air. With six prople you would need two separate flights because the plane will hold three passengers max.

We had an absolutely fabuolus sightseeing tour with Billy who owns the plane and is also a commercial pilot for a major airline.

http://www.airventureshawaii.com/

Here is the website for Roberts Tours: http://www.robertshawaii.com/ It says they have service on all four major islands.

I think I read that Grayline Tours have now been acquired by Roberts. Anybody know for sure? Locals?

I've booked with Maui Guides (www.guidesofmaui.com) for a trip in December.

We haven't been there yet, so I can't comment pro or con, but they were recommended in one of the travel books I bought.

They charge $250 for the day in your car. You can rent a 7-passenger minivan and you will have room for the driver plus all six of you.

To me, it's worth paying someone else to drive so that I can look at the scenery and relax, regardless of whether the drive is easy or not. Also, you can go wherever you want, change your mind and go somewhere else, get recommendations from the guide, etc. Divided by 6 passengers, it's cheaper than any tour and much more flexible.

I also found another website (www.surftaximaui.com). I didn't book with him because he's slightly more expensive, but his web site makes him look good.

One other thing--To use one of these services, you will have to add LDW (loss damage waiver) to your rental and a second driver. I think that's about $35-50, but it may depend on the rental car company.

Hope that helps!

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone provide info on any local drivers or tours that will go around the Island of Oahu? We will be docking in Honolulu (Island Princess) on Sunday 2/18/07. I contacted Roberts about their Grand Circle Island tour, which sounded perfect, but we won't get off the ship in time. I saw spleen93's post about the way to get info on The Bus schedules, but then we won't know what we are seeing, unless one of us has their face in the guidebook. Same with renting a car. Any advice posted will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Terry and Clarence

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Terry & Clarence,

I am in the same delema as you. Looking for a driver with a car to take me around Oahu and Maui. So far, I haven't had any luck. Have you found anyone to do it. We will be in Oahu and Maui in May 07.Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Lois

I know a private tour guide on Kauai who just does small group tours. I will get his contact info and leave it here. He also does tours around Oahu when he is there.

Anna :)

I would be interested in this contact info. Thanks.

Hi Lois,

I found a tour company on an old thread, www.discoverhawaiitours.com

It looks like they have a circle tour of Oahu that leaves at 8:45 and returns about 5:30, which should work for the times we are in port. I plan to call and get exact info, and will post it here when I do. It looks good on their website, but I did not see any follow up info on this company,or that tour, on the thread, so we may need to find out if other cc members have experience with them, too. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Aloha!

Hi Lois,

I called Discover Hawaii tours regarding the #9 Circle Island tour and spoke with a very nice lady, Mary. She said when we get off the ship, we can take a taxi to the Ala Moana Hotel, to be picked up at 8:45 am. The tour sounds great, stops at Sunset Beach on the North Shore, (drive by Waimea and Pipeline), The blowhole, Pineapple plantation, and other stops I did not write fast enough to take down (complete list of sights on the website). It is $59.99 per person, and they stop for lunch (not included). They have maximum 24 people on the tour. You can book a few weeks ahead. Hope this helps!

Aloha!

Hi Terry & Clarence,

Aloha.

Thanks for the info. I also found http://www.robertshawaii.com that does the oahu grand circle island for $46.00, but your Discover Hawaii Tours sounds better.(Roberts leaves much earlier, so that wouldn;t work for you.) Have you read if anyone has used this tour company? I haven't seen their name around. I will keep looking for any info on this company. I'll keep you updated if you find anything and let me know if you find any more info. When is your cruise? Mine is 5/21/07 on NCL Pride of Hawaii. I would be doing the Oahu tour as a pre-cruise so time is not that much of a problem for me. Will keep in touch. What other tours are you thinking about? Lois

Reading this tread and appreicate all of the information.

I too have been searching the web for private tours to be pick up at the cruise ship, but after a long time searching still have not found one that seems to want to pick up at the cruise ship port on any of the islands.

(That is for a reasonable tour cost)

I just wonder why the will only pick up at hotels and advise you to take a taxi to one of the hotels for pick up, I know that they have plenty of business as it is, but seems to me like they would have more from cruise ship passenger if they picked up at the ports of call.

Most of my cruise's I have booked private tours with no problem with them meeting us a the port with a sign and waiting for us.

Thanks,

Marcy

Hi Lois and Marcy,

We are on the Island Princess, out of L.A. 2/10/07. We did this cruise 2/05 and loved it and had to go back!

Last time we went on the Capt. Zodiac to the Captain Cook Monument for snorkeling when we were in Kona. Clarence has snorkeled before, my first time. Everyone said it was the best snorkeling there (better than the Caribbean) Did some whale and shark watching on the way back. This time I think we are going to take a taxi to a nearby black sand beach and relax.

In Hilo, we did the Volcanoes National Park tour (lunch at Volcano House), which we enjoyed. This time I think we will head north to the Wai ipo Valley.

On Oahu, we went to the Polynesian Cultural center, which was really wonderful! All the guidebooks gave it top marks, and they deserve it! We did the Princess tour, which included a tour guide at PCC, Luau, and Evening show. We got back to the ship with only minutes until they were supposed to leave; we were pretty confident they would wait for us since it was their shore excursion. FYI They are closed on Sundays. This time we plan to do this Circle Island tour. Since you are going in May, we'll be able to give you a report on it after we return.

On Kauai, we took another Zodiac to the Na Pali coast, which is absolutely awesome! :DWe would recommend seeing that area! I hear some cruise ships sail by it, but if yours doesn't, try to see it. Some of our friends took a helicopter tour over it, and they were totally impressed. It's so beautiful. We are doing that again this time. You snorkel on this tour as well, but it's nowhere near as nice as Kona.

Last time we did not get to Maui due to weather. This time we plan to do a tour up to the Haleakala Crater.

Marcy, do you usually book tours on your own rather than through the ship? I am a little nervous about doing that because I have heard stories of people not getting back to the ship in time, and being left. In Oahu I think we'll be ok as the tour ends 5 hrs before we sail.

Aloha!

Marcy & Terry,

Check out http://www.shoretrips.com. They do some pick-ups at the dock. See if their excursions fall into your time slot. Good luck and let me know how you make out.Terry, thanks for your tips on some of the excursions you did the last time you were in Hawaii. I too, am planning to go to the PCC and will also do the luau there. Alot of planning is involved in this trip, but I know it will be all worth it when I'm doing the tours. Lois

Sparkle & Irn376,

Sparkle, 1998 First cruise my husband and I did, we didn't have these boards or much info, so we just go off the ship and roamed around.

By the time we did out 2nd cruise we found this board (2003) but he just didn't like going like cattle on a bus with a lot of people, so I tried to please him and get private tours. We have had all good ones I'll have to say and have been very lucky and always back on board the ship at least an hour before ship set sail.

My husband passed away before the cruise we had booked to Canada so in 2004 my baby boomers "hen's club as we call it" some went with me.

2004 New York to Canada was the best private tours ever.

2005 was another girl's baby boomers trip on the RCI Mariner so we did ship tours and well as the 2006 Seattle to Alaska girl's cruise we also did the ship excurisions.

I Love to cruise and I am so thankful that I have good friends that will go with me and we now call our hen's club

The 55+boomers cruiser club. We try and do one cruise together each year since 2004.

Marcy

Marcy, We are so sorry to hear that your husband has passed away. We're glad you have good friends to cruise with. We have some good friends that we have met cruising, but none of our friends at home will cruise. I don't know why. (If work did not interfere, we'd do more cruises!)

We have tended to do the ship excursions, as we felt it would be less hassle.

We drive truck coast to coast, and going on a cruise is the only time we get to NOT drive, and I try to plan things so we get to see/do things, but in a relaxing way.

(we just were in TN Tues, coming down I65 from Louisville, then I40 west to Memphis to pick up a load for Portland, OR, where we are now)

One nice thing we experienced last time in Hawaii, was when you get off the ship, you are not immediatedly set upon by people trying to hustle you, get you to go to their store, their tour, buy their 'whatever'. It was more relaxing than other places we've been to.

Lois, I understand about the planning, and you are right- it's totally worth it when you get there and have no worries. I envy people that can just "wing it", but I am a planner and this zebra cannot change her stripes!

Have you ever been to the PCC? Also, thank you for the link, I will check it out.

I was on another thread, and a guy was talking about that circle Island tour. He will be sailing next month, and I hope he will give us a report on it.

It is amazing how much info is on the boards and how helpful people are. We did cruises to Mexico, Alaska and 2 Bahamas, before I found out about Cruise Critic. The boards would have really helped!

Aloha!

Dear Terry and Marcy, It's so nice to interact with you ladies. I like the idea that we can try and help each other in planning our trip to wonderful Hawaii.

Marcy, I'm sorry to read about your loss. Friends are a wonderful thing to have and it sure sounds like you have great ones!!! So far, my itinerary is (subject to change of course) HILO-Volcano National Park, MAUI-Haleakala Crater & Maui Ocean Center, Road to Hana (if it is open) and Warren & Annabelle's Magic Show,KAUAI-Waimea Canyon/Wailua River Cruise and Gardens,OAHU-we will have a pre-cruise so we will do the Arizona and Missouri, PCC, Grand Tour of Oahu. Have to find something for Kona. We are not beach people and snorkeling is out of the question since my husband had a valve replacement. Open to any suggestions. Now have to figure out what excursions to take from the ship and which I can do privately. Hope to hear from you ladies soon. Have a nice weeekend. Lois

Hi Lois and Marcy,

Here is some info from the Princess Board that Judy posted:

Terry and Clarence,

When we did the IP cruise in Feb. '05 we did an all day tour with Ed Kos in his Hummer of /www.koshawaii.com/. He is an ex-Marine, who had been stationed there and was extremely knowledgable about the island. We were quite pleased with his service, his vehicle, and his personality. 4 of us had a private tour of so many places all over the island and thoroughly enjoyed it. You might want to check out his website and contact him for more information. He picked us up at the dock.

Judy

I haven't had a chance to check it out yet. This latest info I am getting is from the Princess board, the thread Island Princess/Honolulu Excursions.

Have to get tis posted before I lose the connection, will try to post more this weekend.

Aloha!

Sparkle,

Thank you so much for keeping Lois and myself posted on new tour ideas. I've bookmarked them all so can start working on what will be best.

Lois,

I live right in the heart of Middle Tennessee between Nashville, Chattanooga and Knoxville, 72 miles from Nashville and Chattanooga and about 150 miles from Knoxville.

Keep these ideas coming, I keep looking for a affordable tour.

When we cruised out of New York we flew in a day early and I bet that I search the web for months and had about gave up on finding someone to pick us up at the airport and then tour New York City and after months of searching I finally found one. It was wonderful we got to see so much in 3 to 4 hrs.

Our flight landed at 9:00 am and we couldn't check in the hotel til 3, so this guy with a Limo picked us up at the airport and took us all around New York main sights and I could not believe what all we got to see for the time and price.

So I'm searching and looking hoping to find that special price deal in Hawaii.

Thanks so much to all you cruise critics members for you time and information.

Marcy:)

Hi Terry and Clarence, Thanks for the Hummer tour.That would be exciting touring Oahu in a Hummer. I always tease my husband that my next car will be a Hummer. Wouldn;t it be funny if I toured Oahu in a Hummer. (LOL). Anyhow, I wrote to Kos and asked if he could hook me up with another couple, since we are only one couple and the Hummer is for 4 people. Anxious to hear if he can . Thanks for all your help. Lois

Archived