Am I worrying too much about the attire?

St.Love

First of all let me say we (dh, our 4 kids, and I) are all laid back and we don't dress up at all. We are shorts, pants and shirts kind of people :) . I'm reading that the attire for day and night in and out of the dining room and around the ship is dressy (slacks, dresses, dress shirts, etc). We don't own those items since we don't ever go anywhere dressy. We have turned to asking friends and family who have cruised and they say that I'm being misinformed here by the dress code. They say it's laid back and the only time anyone dresses up is on formal night, all other nights and days around the ship are jeans, shorts, and shirts :) . Some dress up a bit but few. We only plan on eating in the dining room once on formal night and we went all out with tuxes and ball gowns for all of us :D . I've been told we went too far out. The other nights we plan on eating at the buffet because we don't plan on dressing up and we have 4 kids so we want to make it easy ;) .

I have started to pack but I'm almost to the point where I don't even care to go because I hear two different stories. My sister just got off the Disney and she said she seen most people wearing jean shorts, pants, and t shirts, vacation wear. I agree 100%. I beileive when your on vacation that you should be yourself and dress comfy in what you do daily as long as it's not trashy ;) . Dh's friend just got off the Imagination and he said that same thing , very laid back and he was surprise to hear what I was being told. He said that the dining room at night was pretty laid back too, alot wore sports shirts (polo type) and some even wore jeans??

We have packed jean shorts and shirts for the whole family to wear excpet for the formal dinner.

Does this sound right and ok?

Is there a dress code for the dining room?spacer.gifDepending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

What should I pack?spacer.gifThe first thing to remember is that you're on vacation and you are aboard one of our "Fun Ships" to have a good time. The second thing to remember is to travel light. If you keep those two things in mind, you should do just fine.

Casual attire and resort wear is the order of the day both on board and in port. Shorts, slacks, sundresses, blouses, etc., are in line for women. Clothing for men is just as casual. You should bring a pair of rubber-soled sandals or sneakers to wear on deck and a pair of good walking shoes. You might also want to consider bringing along a sweater or jacket for cool evenings and inexpensive rain gear in case of a sudden shower. Women may want to bring along a hat or scarf. You'll have a chance to dress up on two nights during 7 day or longer cruises (one night on shorter cruises) for the Captain's Cocktail Party and the Gala Farewell Dinner. On the other evenings you can dress casually for dinner (no shorts or tank tops).

For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido Restaurants are open nightly and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo; suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit; Capri pants NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts, tank tops and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

As for "around the ship", it IS very casual... shorts, swimsuits, etc. As for dinner... yes, most people do dress apporopriately for dinner in the formal dining rooms... you won't see many jeans on normal nights, but you will see some. Shorts are not allowed in the dining room for dinner... but you can always eat at the buffet, and wear whatever you want!! If you are planning on eating buffet, you can wear what you want... no worries. Don't worry about going overboard on formal night... plenty of people do!!!

A lot of people have strong opinions on the attire for the ship. We were just on the Valor back in August, I have 3 kids 12, 7 and 2. We are not dress up type people either. Believe me when I say, I can go 2 yrs without putting on a skirt, because we just dont go anywhere like that. The normal dress around the ship is very casual. I am not talking about the dining room. Most people are wearing shorts/tshirts, sandles/flip flops etc.. when just hanging around. Yes, there are people who are always dressed nice. I would say the majority of the people are very casual when just hanging out. The dining room scared me. I mean Ive read tons of posts on dress attire.Like I said we are not dress up type people. I brought 2 skirts with me for formal nights. That is about as dressy as I get. My husband brought some dress pants with him, and some polo type shirts. He had a nice shirt and tie for formal night. I always thought that jeans or shorts were not allowed in the dining room, and people would be turned away. I suppose depending on what ship you are on, and who the employees are this would happen. We were on the Valor on the upper level, sitting 3 tables in from the hostess. We had a good view of people walking in. Yes, some people dressed very nice each and every night. BUT... some people wore shorts each a LOT... I saw jeans each and every night in the dining room as well. On our sailing, on the top level, I did not see anybody being turned away.Personally I do not care what people wear, as Im there to enjoy my vacation with my family. My family dressed very casual compared to most.

Yes, you're worrying about it too much. Dont let all this anxiety ruin your vacation. Wear what you're comfortable wearing to whichever dining venue you're comfortable going to. If your plan is to eat at the buffet on the nights other then the formal night then your pretty safe regardless. And there are plenty of people who get gusssied up on formal night, it's fun to play dress up :D especially for those of us who don't get much chance otherwise.

What you have will be fime for the Lido deck buffets. You CAN wear shorts to the dining room for break and lunch if you want to eat there.

For formal night, you will see a bit of everything- tuxes, suits, just a shirt and tie with no jacket, Most people DO dress up for formal night, Ladies will wear everything from long gowns to short cocktail dresses and also have seen dressy pants with a sparkly top.

I look forward to formal nights- dont get to dress up that much at home. For the other nights, I wear nice slacks or a long skirt.

We have packed jean shorts and shirts for the whole family to wear except for the formal dinner.

Does this sound right and ok?

No. Shorts are not permitted in the dining room for dinner any night.

And stop worrying about it. Find your best and wear it. Everyone wants to be invited and go to the ball once in a while! :)

No. Shorts are not permitted in the dining room for dinner any night.

And stop worrying about it. Find your best and wear it. Everyone wants to be invited and go to the ball once in a while! :)

MrPete, The OP stated they would only be in the dining room on formal night and they went all out for formalwear for that one. :)

To the OP, wear your shorts, jeans, etc and have breakfast or lunch in the dining room as those are appropriate for those meal times. :)

Dh & i are the same pretty much casual people. We really enjoyed formal night on our imagination cruise.... this past february. But the dress during the day time was pretty casual. Bathing suits, shorts, flip flops, & stuff like that the regular nights in the DINING ROOM was kind of business casual. Polo shirts, short sleeve shirts, khaki pants, capri pants, some people wore jeans & except for few not many people wore shorts in the DINING ROOM i think you are totally prepared for your cruise. Enjoy & don't stress out..... remember on carnival there are a million ways 2 have fun.....

Everytime i see the comercial i get gitty.... 17 more days till valor!!!!!!

MrPete, The OP stated they would only be in the dining room on formal night and they went all out for formalwear for that one. :)

I saw that. But imagine boarding with just shorts, and changing your mind about resticting yourself to eat in the buffet for dinner. I don't even know what they offer for dinner in the buffet, but to limit yourself opportunity just because of dress would/could be frustrating.

At least to me....

I saw that. But imagine boarding with just shorts, and changing your mind about resticting yourself to eat in the buffet for dinner. I don't even know what they offer for dinner in the buffet, but to limit yourself opportunity just because of dress would/could be frustrating.

At least to me....

The 4 kids probably prompted that decision. I can't imagine trying to pack enough clothes for them and get them all dressed for dinner. I only have 1 and that is hard enough. :eek:

The 4 kids probably prompted that decision. I can't imagine trying to pack enough clothes for them and get them all dressed for dinner. I only have 1 and that is hard enough. :eek:

I have 4 (7,10,12,13). It's not that big a deal. A couple of pair of dockers or similar, a few polo shirts(something with a collar, not too dressy) for the boy, some sun dresses and different outfits for the girls(3).

It's really not that bad.

For formal night we dressup.

I can tell you there is a major difference between eating in the buffet and the dining room. I'll take the dining room, being waited on, not having to worry about getting up in the middle of my meal to get seconds for the kids.

The benefits for packing a few extra pieces of clothes and getting served is well worth it. It's like the difference between an inside cabin right above the engine room and a balcony in the middle of the ship.

vincenzo:)

I have 4 (7,10,12,13).

I'll take the dining room, being waited on, not having to worry about getting up in the middle of my meal to get seconds for the kids.

vincenzo:)

Geez....how 'bout the big V already :p

Also a good time to practice the manners they have learned at home. ;)

You will be fine with what you have planned. Don't forget to have your photos taken on formal night. The first time we cruised with the kids they hated dressing up and even hated having there photos taken more than dressing up. So we skipped the photos and I regret that we did not have them done.

Hubby packs two pairs of khakis, polo shirts, a suit and his blues. These are for dinners, and formal nights.

I pack capris, polo shirts, a pair of khakis and two formals.

Otherwise it is shorts, flip flops, tshirts, tank tops and swimsuits around the ship!

Don't stress about what to wear. You will see that some people have ZERO respect for others on the ship, and others go way overboard...for the most part, most everyone are casual and respectful...don't worry and enjoy!

I will admit, we go overboard on formal nights. I love my hubby in his blues, and I glam myself up. It's fun and we enjoy it.

Have a great time!

Stef

Archived