Am I worrying too much about the attire?

St.Love

[quote name='tankersbabe']Congrats!

I am down 75 from my heaviest, and even today, I am looking at a new shirt that I am wearing and realizing that it is too big now. :( That is the one downfall of weight loss...money loss on new clothes! But hey, shopping is a heck of a lot more fun now! I even had to get new shoes...my shoe size changed completely!

Enjoy the new duds![/quote]

Hey that's so good!! One more reason to go buy a sexy new black dress for a nice evening out on the ship, oh and don't for get your shoes...hehehe, I'll leave 15 pairs home next time:D

Listen my husband and I have 8 kids from 16- 28, 4 boys and 4 girls. Last September we took them all on a 3 night 4 day cruise to the Bahamas. I made sure the girls had simple cute either dresses or skirts and top and the boys had nice slacks/jeans and nice shirts, polo/ and button down. and of course everyone had beautiful dresses and gowns and tux or suit for captains night. I went shopping at "Ross" dept store and didn't pay more then 10-20 bucks for the younger girls dresses (and did that well in advance of the cruise) other then that they wore jeans, shorts, bathsuits..........that's it.

Shorts are NOT allowed in the formal dining room at any time , that is correct, but I have seen plenty of jeans and nice shirts on all the other nights other then formal night.

It is a vacation.........relax, enjoy............your not going to Sunday Easter Mass at a Catholic church where everyone is trying to out do the person next to them (I can get away with saying that because I grew up Catholic and I KNOW LOL).

the formal night is a chance to dress up, feel pretty and take great pics of your special night! It just last a few hours then its off with the formal wear and back to your jeans and comfy shirt to enjoy the rest of the evening!

It is not a contest...........no one cares what you where........everyone should just concentrate on having the time of your lives!!!!

[quote name='MrPete']No. Shorts are not permitted in the dining room for dinner any night.

And stop worrying about it. Find your best and wear it. Everyone wants to be invited and go to the ball once in a while! :)[/quote]

For 7 cruises I thought this to be true, but this last cruise proved this wrong. Many of the people I was with dressed in shorts, tank tops ( women), sandels for dinner in the dining room. No one said a word, no one blinked and all were served. Go figure.

[quote name='tess2cruz']For 7 cruises I thought this to be true, but this last cruise proved this wrong. Many of the people I was with dressed in shorts, tank tops ( women), sandels for dinner in the dining room. No one said a word, no one blinked and all were served. Go figure.[/quote]

This was exactly how it was on the Valor this past August. People in shorts were allowed in, I did not see anybody turned away.

[quote name='tess2cruz']For 7 cruises I thought this to be true, but this last cruise proved this wrong. Many of the people I was with dressed in shorts, tank tops ( women), sandels for dinner in the dining room. No one said a word, no one blinked and all were served. Go figure.[/quote]

Guess they were lucky... but keep in mind, most tanks for women are okay... Most women don't wear "tanks", they are more like cami's and sleeveless dress tops. Not wife beaters :p LOL!! Sandals are allowed as well... I'm sure some get by with shorts, but I have seen people turned away with shorts...

[quote name='tankersbabe']
I am down 75 from my heaviest, and even today, I am looking at a new shirt that I am wearing and realizing that it is too big now. :( quote]

[B][I][COLOR=purple]Congratulations to you too!! :D Needing new clothes and shoes is a nice thing, especially when they become too big rather than too small.:o [/COLOR][/I][/B]

[quote name='mlmagic']COOL:cool: We can wear jeans on NON-formal evenings in the dining room... with them being nice of course??[/quote]

[B][COLOR=purple]Jeans are not specifically excluded in the dress requirement section of the Welcome Aboard booklet. It states resort casual. Just read the requirements and make your decision as to whether you want to wear them. I have never seen over a few within a whole dining room wearing jeans. Dockers and polo shirts for men and casual dresses and pants/blouse for women were the majority. [/COLOR][/B]

I am [B]sure [/B]people don't get turned away.........but that really is not the point here..............It is formal night........it is a great opportunity to do something different.........get dressed up and enjoy getting spoiled a little! then afterwards get comfy cozy in your jeans and t-shirts and enjoy the rest of the night!

It would be like sending our kids to Prom in jeans and a t-shirt............just not cool! I am the furthest thing from snooty but I do know "proper attire" and I don't think it is such a bad thing to have standards for certain events in life! And besides she did say she already bought their cloths for dressy night so they are good to go.....as for the other nights, who really cares , just as long as your not in ripped jeans/ cut offs and sloppy shirts..........just good judgment is needed here.

this subject is getting off the beaten path! It is not a matter of who is let in and who isn't ...........it is all about using good judgment!

[quote name='GoinCruisin'] Don't worry about going overboard on formal night... plenty of people do!!![/quote]

There are four references on this thread to "going overboard." Please don't do that!! The ship will have to search for hours for you and then there will be thread on here about missed ports and late departures on the next cruise. And those get soooo old!!

[quote name='MuffyKismet']I am [B]sure [/B]people don't get turned away.........but that really is not the point here..............It is formal night........it is a great opportunity to do something different.........get dressed up and enjoy getting spoiled a little! then afterwards get comfy cozy in your jeans and t-shirts and enjoy the rest of the night![/quote]
Agree totally
My DW and I haven't made our first cruise as of yet. But my feeling on this is, Formal night is Formal night an event the ship has listed in the capers. If you don't want to participate in this go somewhere else to dine. It's an insult to everyone else to show up in the incorrect attire. Formal is Formal, why do you want to crash the party? Just my thoughts.
If you show up at my party in the wrong attire so be it, but I won't think much of you.

you sound like i was for my first cruise. if what you have is clean, not torn or with holes and does not say rude or obnoxious things on the shirts to offend anyone ( please beleive me i am not saying yours do of course ) you will be fine in the lido buffett and on the decks and pool. you do not have to go to the dining room for any of your meals if you do not want too. there is the buffet with wonderful food for breakfast, lunch and dinner by the pools, room service , pizza/hambergers/dogs and ice cream 24/7 and of course the deli for great sandwiches are open at certain times. all of these are free you will not go hungry by any means and you wil all have a fun and comfortable time.

go and have fun and dont worry about getting all dressed up in fancy clothes if you do not have them or dont want to go out and buy them.

have a great time and dont stress. you will fit right in :)

It's kinda like driving thru Georgia. They have a posted speed limit, but different cops (maitre D's) handle things differently.

So you hear:

"We always drive 90 mph all the way thru GA. Never even saw a cop. Don't worry about it."
"We must've seen 40 cops! Be careful!"
"They won't stop you unless you're 10 mph over. You'll be fine."
"I got 3 tickets going thru GA yesterday! Costing me $530! They are insane!"
"I was stopped and given a warning. The kids were with me. It was so embarrassing!"
"He let me off with a warning; no big deal."

So, just a thought: maybe ask your kids if they are OK with the family going to the dining room in "less than recommended attire."

There is
- 80% chance some people will glare at them.
- 5% chance they would be warned by the "cop"
- 1% chance they will actually be denied entry
- 5% chance someone will make a remark to them or near them

therefore:
- 89% chance no one will say anything
And there rest depends on how bothered they might be by glares, admonitions, or outright banishment. Some families would be OK, others would not.

Speaking personally - I generally adhere to the dress recommendations, leaning toward the casul end, but staying within the spirit of the law
EXCEPT:
On formal nights, after dinner, I switch to sport casual for the shows, etc. So - I WON'T risk any problems in the dining room; I WILL risk being subjected to comments from pax later in the evening.

[quote name='rvrgirl']Big difference. One is a law the other is a suggested dress code;)[/quote]

Sorry my analogy was not clear to you.
Of course there is a difference.

The point is that each person can determine how much he is willing to accept consequences when he decides to deviate from desired/popular/customary/legal/recommended behavior.

The concept applies whether it's cutting in line, going 1 mph over the speed limit, saving a deck chair, smuggling liquor aboard*, getting rowdy at the bar, or taking 11 items thru the express lane.

* (which I do from time to time, because I'm willing to accept consequences, e.g. embarrassment),

[quote name='Roboat']Sorry my analogy was not clear to you.
Of course there is a difference.

The point is that each person can determine how much he is willing to accept consequences when he decides to deviate from desired/popular/customary/legal/recommended behavior.

The concept applies whether it's cutting in line, going 1 mph over the speed limit, saving a deck chair, smuggling liquor aboard*, getting rowdy at the bar, or taking 11 items thru the express lane.

* (which I do from time to time, because I'm willing to accept consequences, e.g. embarrassment),[/quote]

It was clear to me.........cracks me up when people compare breaking the law and breaking the dress code LOL. To me it's like what other posters say comparing apples to oranges.
I hear what your saying. We don't wear shorts or t shirts in the dining room. Nor do we wear jeans on formal nite. But we do tend to wear jeans on non formal nite.....if Canival required that no jeans are permitted and they enforced it......but they don't.......

I thought that was an excellent analogy Roboat. I don't think I've ever seen anyone put it so succinctly. It's actaully what I was trying to say earlier when I said "[I]Wear what you're comfortable wearing to whichever dining venue you're comfortable going to[/I]". It's all about risk analysis and how ready we are to accept the consequenses of our actions, not comparing breaking the law to breaking the dress code. Don't suppose your an statistical analyst are your Roboat? :D

[quote name='Mysticks1'][B][COLOR=purple]Jeans are not specifically excluded in the dress requirement section of the Welcome Aboard booklet. [/COLOR][/B][/quote]

Nor are sweats, petticoats or boxer shorts. You are supposed to draw a conclusion based on the examples listed. Some have a hard time with that, and jump right to the " well, it doesn't say I can't".

:rolleyes:

[quote name='MrPete']Nor are sweats, petticoats or boxer shorts. You are supposed to draw a conclusion based on the examples listed. Some have a hard time with that, and jump right to the " well, it doesn't say I can't".

:rolleyes:[/quote]

From Carnivals FAQ:

Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and [B][COLOR=blue]slacks[/COLOR][/B]; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

I do not believe that Jeans=Slacks, so it is specific. No jeans, slacks.

vincenzo:)

Archived