Things to do in Cozumel & Grand Cayman

HIPrincess

I am counting down the days and wondering "what are we going to do in port"???? I think I am set on Key West, but would LOVE some feedback on what others have done in Cozumel and & Grand Cayman. Things not to miss and things to avoid. We aren't opposed to taking the ships shore excursions, but are usually pretty adventurous and enjoy doing things on our own. Thanks in advance for your suggestions. We have no problems with walking so would be up for hikes, history, minimal shopping, seeing the site, etc.

I would suggest that you look at the "Ports" boards to get ideas on this.

In either port, you will find no shortage of vendors, taxis, etc.

When we are in Grand Cayman, we usually take a cab to 7 Mile Beach. Your cabbie can take you to a spot where you can hang out and have the use of a restroom and beach bar/restaurant. Lots of people like to go to Stingray City and wade with the Sting Rays. Other popular sites are "Hell," which features some interesting rock formation, and the Turtle Farm. I am not a fan of either of those stops. But, if you're interested in the island tour, you can find an obliging cab driver, and you'll save plenty of money.

Lots of options in Cozumel. Tulum is a bit of a distance, but you'll have a chance to see some significant Mayan ruins in a beautiful ocean setting. Lots of private beach clubs there. I understand that the state park was hit pretty hard by the last hurricane to go through.

My husband and I just returned from the alternate western 7-day which stops in Cozumel. We decide to try the zip line tour of the jungle that the ship offered after being unsuccessful at booking the one online. We ended up having a ball! This was one of the best tours going in my opinion! It was just over an hour to get there via van. When we go there we did a short bicycle tour of the jungle to a cenote for some swimming. There was a zip line at the cenote and I braved it and had a ball. Then we cycled back to the base and geared up for the zip line tour. After the tour, they fed us an authentic Mexican lunch and we headed back with photo's of ourselves in the canapy and a full belly!

When you get to Cozumel you don't tender to the shore, you get on a large water taxi and go to Playa del Carma where you get on the van. Playa del Carma looked like a fabulous little town and I wish we had time to shop there when we got back but it was a no-go!

BTW, I am in my mid 40's and a big chicken so if I can do this anyone can!!:D

• 2 years later...

I just returned from the cayman highlights and sting ray a few day ago. the highlights include a visit to Hell, Tortuga, a visit to the turtle farm. The turtle farm was great, they had large turtles weighing up to 600 pounds. We were able o pick up our own turtles for pictures. We were also supposed to go to 7 mile beach, but because we were at an alternative pier outside of Georgetown and there was traffic getting into town, we did not have the time to go there. As for stingray city, that was a great experience. i got pictures in front of the stingray, holding it, and kissing it. As for Cozumel, it was a very long day, going to the Mayan Ruins. The ferry ride was 45 minutes each. The bus ride was an hour. That was a lot of time spent on transportation, which gave me time for naps. The ruins itself was okay. The beach was beautiful, but do note that this excursion takes almost all your time at port.

• 1 year later...
My husband and I just returned from the alternate western 7-day which stops in Cozumel. We decide to try the zip line tour of the jungle that the ship offered after being unsuccessful at booking the one online. We ended up having a ball! This was one of the best tours going in my opinion! It was just over an hour to get there via van. When we go there we did a short bicycle tour of the jungle to a cenote for some swimming. There was a zip line at the cenote and I braved it and had a ball. Then we cycled back to the base and geared up for the zip line tour. After the tour, they fed us an authentic Mexican lunch and we headed back with photo's of ourselves in the canapy and a full belly!

When you get to Cozumel you don't tender to the shore, you get on a large water taxi and go to Playa del Carma where you get on the van. Playa del Carma looked like a fabulous little town and I wish we had time to shop there when we got back but it was a no-go!

BTW, I am in my mid 40's and a big chicken so if I can do this anyone can!!:D

What cruise line were you on when you did the Cozumel zip line tour? We're scheduled to be in Cozumel in December on Holland America and are looking for a good zip line tour. The one HAL is offering doesn't sound like the one you took.

Weetwo

PS: We're in our 60's and love the zip line tours.

We took a dune buggy and snorkel excursion in Cozumel and loved it. The buggies are stocked with all the Mexican beer, soda, and bottled water you want and we drove to different beaches for snorkeling. We also drove around the entire ilsand and stopped at different vendors locations around the island. We stopped and had lunch at a private tequilery where they made us fresh salsa, guacamole, and island chicken (included in price of excursion). We were supposed to eat at the beach but it was too windy that day. We took a tour of the tequilery and I bought a very nice bottle of tequila there. We loved this excursion. It had a little of everything. our 15 year old son and 6 year old daughter also loved it.

We booked this excursion through http://www.cozumelcruiseexcursions.com

When we were in Cozumel we went scubadiving for the first time. It was AMAZING!! I highly recommend it! We booked through cozumelcruiseexcursions.com and it was about 50$ a person I think. It was just my husband and I and our guide. Our guide was totally Fabulous! His name was memo! After scuba we went to a near by restuarant and then did a little shopping down town. We took taxi's. We walked out of a port a ways to get a good taxi deal. It was pretty cheap all the way around, way cheaper then doing things via the cruise ship.

In Cayman we did a snorkel/stingray city tour that was also a great cost and very fun. We booked with Moby Dick Tours.com. (no spaces in the words)

Archived