Infinity Leaving Dry Dock

Swedish Chef

The ship had no pod problems (or any other problems) on the 9/3/06 ten day Alaska sailing that we recently returned from. Put your worries to rest, after the repairs it will be smooth sailing from then on. We were on the Millennium last year when the ship experienced pod problems too. It just slowed the ship down as it did the Infinity, however, we didn't miss any ports on the Infinity.

Happy sailing to all on upcoming Infinity cruises.

J & K

I hope she's 100% oke for upcoming and future sailings.

Hi Sheik,

I think that you may be interested in the Infinity's track record with pods.

Since it's launch in late 2000 the ship has been in dry dock on the following dates: Late 2001, April 13, 2002, January 29, 2003, March 2004, March 25, 2005 and September 13, 2006. All of these resulted in cancelled cruises and reduced Itinerary for those on board when the pod problems started. This dry dock, assuming it is like all of the other drydocks for the Infinity and the other M-Class ships is not a permanent fix, but is just going to keep the Infinity going for awhile until the next pod failure.

Wishing you happy cruising

:D Good evening,

That's correct. The electrical pod system powering the port side pod showed sign of impending failure.

The decision was made to replace the entire pod apparatus.

Previous '' pod'' problems affecting the '' M '' series of ships were centered on a premature wear failure of the radial thrust bearing in the pods....nothing to do with this current episode.

Infinity seems a bit jinxed however, as she 's also the one most often affected by the bearing problems, symptomatic of the design flaw which is affecting the entire class....

Gladly, she's still on her way to SanFransisco, ready to board her guests for the Panama cruise tomorrow 24th.

Cheers

Claude G

;)

Shouldn't she have left by now?

:) She's sailing away 5.00pm today 24th. ( She's actually already gone as I type this ).

Everything is on time ( per the new program )...sailing 24th Sept 5.00pm instead of 23rd, 5.00pm. and CabosSanLucas stop is scrubbed.

Cheers

CG

;)

Yup, I saw her sail out of SF myself yesterday. We were having ice cream at Fisherman's Wharf as she sailed toward the Golden Gate Bridge and then disappeared into the fog. She pulled away from the port right on time at 5 PM. Beautiful ship.

I hope she's mechanically as good as she looked. I was originally on the 9/13 cruise to Alaska that was cancelled. I'm now scheduled to sail on the Inifinity on 11/5 through the Panama Canal.

Yikes! all this talk about pod problems (is that something to do with the engines?) is making me a bit nervous. I'm scheduled to sail to Hawaii on 10/22 and will be 4 days at sea each way. Engine problems would be my worst fear realized! I sailed on Infinity in her first year-through the Panama Canal and it was a fabulous cruise in every way. I expected to have the same experience in the Hawaii cruise. Perhaps I am being naive, but I would expect that Celebrity wouldn't want to risk its reputation by putting an unsafe or "unready" ship back into its fleet. Celebrity -don't fail me now!!!

Princess pasta

PPasta

We're on the same 10-22 R/T as you. Not too worry, they replaced the pod and are currently right on schedule with all working well. I would have been nervious if we were the last cruise before the replacement.

Come on over to our CC connections thread. We're from MA too, .... way back.

Could someone give me the link for the web cam for Infinity? That would be fun to see it go thru the Panama Canal and other locales.

Enjoyed our cruise on Infinity 9/2/06, but was disapointed to miss so much of the Inside Passage to changes.

Thanks.

Sherry4

Thanks Sxtcruisers-that is fun to be able to see where the ships are and to see where we were in archieves! There is a Panama Canal live webcam-I'll have to try to see if i can see it from both sites!

Thanks again.

Sherry4

Archived