Belize and Malaria and the CDC?

POOHISME2

For the people who have cruised there, do you take the drug recommended by the Center for Disease Control? Chloroquine is the recommended drug for Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Honduras, Costa Rica, and the Bocas Del Toro Province of Panama.

I have spoken with my Doctor and he recommends taking it if we intend to go in the Jungle or the rivers for any tours (tubing nature walks). Even daytime tours.

He also thinks we should take Cypro for any intestinal problems that might come about.

I just wanted to hear from my other CC members on if you have taken these types of meds before or during trips to these areas.

Or if you dont why not?

1. Anti-malaria drugs are not required for day-trippers from cruiseships:

Why: 1. They can have serious side effects

2. the malaria mosquito comes out at dusk

3. You should wear insect repellant to keep all mosquitos from biting. Dengue fever is not a lot of fun either and there is nothing you can take to prevent it.

I have been in this part of the world on cruiseships several times. Never been ill. The only down side is you cannot give blood for some time afterword. (Blood banks have to be ultra-cautious).

2. Cypro should not be taken UNLESS you are actually ill. If you are really concerned about eating and drinking in Central America, rather than take antibiotics unnecessarily, don't eat or drink (except bottled water and drinks) while you are in port. Personally I have eaten on shore a number of times but would NEVER consider eating from street vendors stalls and local tap-water is a definite no-no.

Have a nice cruise and take sensible precautions.

The Malaria mosquitio usually bites at dawn and dust. Plus you need to wear insect repellant anyway in someplaces to protect you from the day mosquitos . because you can get sick if they bite you.

I plan on not eating any food or drinking any water which includes having ice cubes in any drinks because you can get sick. I also plan on wearing bug spray all day in the countries where it is necessary. I also plan on taking food off the carnival ship so I don;t have to eat the food or buying meal replacement bars for 2$ each from home.

The only vaccines I took are hepatitis A and tetanus something you proably need anyway in Canada and the USA

For the people who have cruised there, do you take the drug recommended by the Center for Disease Control? Chloroquine is the recommended drug for Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Honduras, Costa Rica, and the Bocas Del Toro Province of Panama.

I have spoken with my Doctor and he recommends taking it if we intend to go in the Jungle or the rivers for any tours (tubing nature walks). Even daytime tours.

He also thinks we should take Cypro for any intestinal problems that might come about.

I just wanted to hear from my other CC members on if you have taken these types of meds before or during trips to these areas.

Or if you dont why not?

I really don't think you need to worry about malaria or intestinal issues for one day that you will be in Belize. Make sure to bring bug spary and don't drink anything that doesn't come bottled and you will be fine.

I was in Belize in the rainforest doing the canopy tour and cave tubing and have had no problem. I also fly very frequently to Honduras and Costa Rica...where my parents are from and have never had an issue.

Archived