Just back from 6 days in Quebec City, will answer questions

Do you have any recommendations for restaurants that are kid-friendly? We'll be in Quebec City two weeks from now on Maasdam, and would like to have lunch in town with our generally well-behaved 10-year-old.

The Ancient Canadian would be fine for a 10 year old.. there is also a Cape Breton Creperie with an all day menu near the outer walls of the city where the wait staff dress in Breton attire.

Au Petit Coin Breton nw.gif 1029 Rue St. Jean

Québec, QC

Buffet de l'Antiquaire nw.gif (local foods etc.. IMHO very good)

95 Rue St. Paul

Québec, QC G1K 3V8 --- in the LOWER town.. ]

Host Caroline, we will be on the Maasdam mid October on Sunday and Monday.How is Quebec on Sunday? Also noted your comment on the Christmas stores in the upper city? My wife will really appreciate seeing those!

Thanks for all your answers.

''Do they have the little crepe shops where you can order "take away" like they do in Paris? Also is there a charge for the funicular? We will be on the Regal in September, I am playing my French tapes and trying to remember all I had learned when I went to Paris.""

I don't know any place where they have crepes to go but one good pastry to go is the ''Beaver Tail'', they have them right beside the Chateau Frontenac.

''Seems like a great idea. Where do you pick up the carriage in the Old City? About how much should one pay for the ride and how long will the ride be? Sounds like a winner. Thanks''

Sorry but I have no idea how much it is for the ride but I know it is quite expensive. I recommend the carriage only to people who cannot walk for a long period of time. For others, you'll be fine by foots.

''2 of us, Thanks for your answer on the funicular! We really want to see the falls if there are no buses that go out there does anyone know about cabs and the cost?? We don't want to get trapped on any tour groups.''

Buses for the falls may (or may not) be available from the tourist office close to le Chateau Frontenac. A taxi ride can be quite expensive because it is a 20-25 minutes drive (I think, I never go to the Falls from downtown), then it's about 35-30$ (Canadian $).

''One more question . . . We arrive in Quebec at 11 p.m. on Sunday, do you know if anything will be open? Is it possible to ride in a horse and carriage at that time? Any suggestions will be appreciated.''

If you want to party, go on Grande-Allée,there is many bars and also art galleries (some open quite late, you may be lucky and see it open). The well-known bars are Dagobert, Maurice and Charlotte. There is many other bars with different type of crowd/atmosphere. Just check them out. If you just want to visit the city without partying, just start the following day early instead.

''Do you have any recommendations for restaurants that are kid-friendly? We'll be in Quebec City two weeks from now on Maasdam, and would like to have lunch in town with our generally well-behaved 10-year-old. ''

I think most restaurants are well-behaved-kid friendly (especially for lunch). The Port area is better for families than the Grande-Allée, IMHO.

"Host Caroline, we will be on the Maasdam mid October on Sunday and Monday.How is Quebec on Sunday? Also noted your comment on the Christmas stores in the upper city? My wife will really appreciate seeing those!Thanks for all your answers.''

In the touristic season, Sunday is a busy day, everthing is open. Mid-October, I think the big majority will be open too.

OK, now one more suggestion, I hope for you all it won't happen but if it does rain a lot, the museum right in front the pier (Museum of Civilization) is a great museum with various types of exhibitions and workshops, kids and adults like it alike. If you are more appealed by art like painting, sculptures, etc. A 5-10 minutes taxi ride will bring you to the Museum of Quebec and right now, their is a Picassa Scupture exhibition but I don't know until what date, there is also other exhibitions. There is also many smaller museums, some in the Port area (only 1-3 minutes of walk from the ship).

Host Caroline, we will be on the Maasdam mid October on Sunday and Monday.How is Quebec on Sunday? Also noted your comment on the Christmas stores in the upper city? My wife will really appreciate seeing those!

Thanks for all your answers.

I've searched on the web for the price of the carriage tours.. especially if it turns out a rainy day (it wouldn't dare), it would be a good option. I don't recall it being expensive -- with the exchange rate... I'm thinking 20-25pp.. The guides are very good.. Quebec IS best seen by foot but for an overview, IMHO the carriage remains a better option than cab or "set" tour which woudl be higher. Go by the Quebec website before you leave, lots of info there..

a Google search will bring up several.. this is a good one.

http://www.bonjourquebec.com/anglais/

• 4 weeks later...

Sugar Shack... I'd seriously consider it.. .we were in Quebec City for the Winter Carnival last year (how about -22 below :eek: )... it was fabulous... and one of "the" best things we did was rent an SUV with some folks we met from the hotel and head out to Ile de Orlean.. We stopped at a sugar shack... the only one open I think and had "the" best meal for about $12 US... of course in fall they won't have maple syrup on a snow stick but the ham, potatoes, Quebec meat pie, their own divine version of "Ketchup", the authentic music etc.. it was wonderful... see if you can find out what the tour includes but since there aren't any sugar shacks in the old city, this would be one thing easier done on tour probably..

You will love Quebec City.. had been in summer before but never in the winter..it was like a magical wonderland...

• 4 months later...
Sugar Shack... I'd seriously consider it.. .we were in Quebec City for the Winter Carnival last year (how about -22 below :eek: )... it was fabulous... and one of "the" best things we did was rent an SUV with some folks we met from the hotel and head out to Ile de Orlean.. We stopped at a sugar shack... the only one open I think and had "the" best meal for about $12 US... of course in fall they won't have maple syrup on a snow stick but the ham, potatoes, Quebec meat pie, their own divine version of "Ketchup", the authentic music etc.. it was wonderful... see if you can find out what the tour includes but since there aren't any sugar shacks in the old city, this would be one thing easier done on tour probably..

You will love Quebec City.. had been in summer before but never in the winter..it was like a magical wonderland...

I looked at the Sugar Shack menu on line and it looks like it is loaded with the stuff in its title. My wife is a diabetic. I'm sure they have sugar substitutes for people limiting their intake of sugar, right?

Frank-in-CA

Archived