Source for diecast models of ships?

Cathy_S

Anyone know of a source for diecast models of the Queen Mary 2?

My son wants a model of the ship (he got one of a Disney ship when we sailed it a few years ago). My Mom just took a cruise on the QM2 and she wasn't able to find a model for sale anywhere.

Any ideas?

Anyone know of a source for diecast models of the Queen Mary 2?

My son wants a model of the ship (he got one of a Disney ship when we sailed it a few years ago). My Mom just took a cruise on the QM2 and she wasn't able to find a model for sale anywhere.

Any ideas?

I think you will find it somwhere on this site

http://members.aol.com/MSM1250/index.htm

in this section http://www.collectableships.com/models/ClassicShipCollection.htm

Regards

Chris and Pam

I know exactly the type of model you're looking for, and my brother brought me back just such a model of the QE2 back in 1993. I've been on the QM2 three times, and they always say "we just ran out," but I think they don't just make them. Cunard really should order them, though--I'm sure they'd sell out on every voyage.

I guess they don't make them... maybe in the future.

Since my son loved his Disney Wonder one so much he wanted to have one of the ship that his Grandma just went on too.

The Disney one is really a nice toy. All metal, about 1.5" long. Very detailed (except that the ship has wheels on it..). It was probably under $5 aboard the Disney Wonder 2 years ago.

It would be a very souvenier for Cunard to offer.

Cathy, I have several that I bought onboard the ships many years ago. Mine are about 7-10" long; & have amazing detail. I too wanted one of the QM2; & was told they didn't carry them. I've done exhaustive searches on the internet to no avail. I've decided that they only make the large (what I refer to as "coffee table" size) one that are way too expensive.

I guess they don't make them... maybe in the future.

It would be a very souvenier for Cunard to offer.

Cathy, I'm sure someone does...or will soon make one. There are so many available for other cruise ships, including most US Navy ships.

The best place to look is on eBay. Have you ever searched the Queen Mary 2 eBay listings? There are dozens of items, from models, to menus signed by Commodore Warwick! I checked for you last night and found a few plastic & wooden QM2 models in 1:400 and 1:600 scale. Do a eBay search...save it to 'your searches'... and then check off to have eBay email you whenever a new item is listed. Thats how I found two models, exactly like you are looking for, of the aircraft carrier I made 'crossings' on forty years ago.

It just takes a little patience.

Cheers ;)

"Classic Ship Collection" makes a model of both the QE2 and the QM2. These are not toys, they are highly detailed and their price is reflective of this. The name and email address of the firm that sells these models in the U.S. is listed on the German manufacturers website: http://www.classic-ship.de

I have a large number of 1/1250 scale liners in my collection, and the three made by "Classic Ships Collection" are by far, the most detailed. Outstanding for display, but NOT FOR PLAY!

The "Maritime Replicas" models that someone mentioned are out of this world. The detail on the QE2 model (1/500) is not to be believed. When I purchased mine in the early 1990's, it cost about a third of what it sells for today. The prices of these larger models are "through the roof" in todays market.

Hi Cathy,

There is a company called 'Mercator' that make 1:1250 die-cast scale models of liners/cruise ships old and new. I cannot find a web-site for them, but they occasionally appear on e-bay.

Mercator models are generally pretty detailied (more so than the Triang-Minic ship range) and so not really a toy, more a beautiful display piece.

Mercator are continually updating their fleet to include modern cruise ships, so if they don't already make QM2 I'm sure it won't be long.

If I can find out any more leads, I'll let you know.

Olly (liner buff and waterline model collector!)

Archived