Aways Seems Hal Crusiers Against Kids.

TIMELMAN

And there is no excuse for that. Where do their parents get off thinking that it is okay for their kids to do anything ... in the name of having fun ... even if it disrupts the cruise experience of others who have maybe saved long and hard to take that cruise and now have to have it ruined?

Princess' "Youth Security" seems to be a joke.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Rita,

Did you watch the video? I think it likely, many, if not most, of them were young adults, not children. Princess allows 18 year olds, without the accompaniment of someone older. Ships, like beach towns, that allow those under 25 to book cabins and rooms, want the spring break buck. And when the the spring break buck is courted, one is going to have problems.

Those seeking quiet and relaxation, who unknowingly check into beach towns and cruises that cater to this crowd, are apt to be dissappointed.

In my area, it is common for parents to fund senior class getaways for their kids, to Mexico. Seniors who are 18 often go solo. Those who are 17 are often accompanied by their parents, who stay in separate non inclusive accommodations, just so their little darling does not miss out on the fun and right of passage. ( Is it obvious where I stand on this issue?) I have no doubt that some will be eying cruise ships in the not too distant future.

The age for unaccompanied young adults has been reduced on all mass marketed cruise lines.

Having just left a HAL Alaska cruise, I didn't see a lot for kids to do on that trip. There were a few children on board who fit right in, but they had to have pretty adult oriented tastes to have a good time on this cruise. A port intensive cruise would probably be of more interest to children, so I guess you have to look at the intinerary carefully. The maturity level of the child is pretty important.

...snip... The reality is that there will only be 100 children on your cruise (as you mentioned on another thread), and the total passenger count for Zuiderdam is something like 1,848. ...snip...

How does one find out how many children are scheduled to be on a cruise?

Curiously yours,

Jenny

How does one find out how many children are scheduled to be on a cruise?

Curiously yours,

Jenny

My family and I travelled to Alaska this summer on Holland America, and will be cruising with them again in December, this time to the Carribbean. For both trips, I called Holland America's Ship Services and asked them to give me the numbers of youngsters onboard, broken down by the Club HAL age category: 3-7, 8-12, and 13-17. You need to give them your booking number before they'll give out that information. Both times, the service reps were most helpful and accommodating.

You can contact Ship Services three ways, which I've listed below. Hopefully, this will work for you from Jamaica. Otherwise, try the corporate headquarters phone number: 1 (206) 281-3535 or fax: 1 (800) 281-7110.

Ship Services for HAL:

phone: 1 (800) 541-1576

email: go to this link, and scroll down approx. to the 8th section.

fax: 1 (800) 207-3547

Good luck:)

Karin

Archived