laptop and video , carry on or check

hayekfa

First time cruiser going with extended family of 11 . I will be taking my video camera , $2500 which is a bit bulky , digital camera $1100 and laptop . TA thinks it would be risky (theft not damage) packing these in with the checked luggage but all this is kind of bulky to carry on.

Any opinions on how I should handle this issue?

Ron

I would never check my laptop... WAY too much valuable information on there... I have checked my digital camera and vid-cam once, but I doubt I ever do it again... there are just some things I won't leave to chance.

I second that motion! I have never checked any of my "electronics". I'm considering taking the laptop this year, but it's one of those 17" ones and can get really heavy. (Gateway, M675, which BTW, ROCKS!) I used the internet cafe a few times on the last trip just to check e-mail and send some pictures and I was okay with that. The only advantage of taking the laptop would be to be able to write e-mail at my convenience, and then head to the internet café at some point to send and receive, and also offload pictures from the flash cards. (I’m taking two 512MB cards this next trip however, which should be plenty.)

I’m on vacation, and would only use my laptop every so often. I think I can handle a little withdrawal for the week. Camera and camcorder is a MUST however.

First time cruiser going with extended family of 11 . I will be taking my video camera , $2500 which is a bit bulky , digital camera $1100 and laptop . TA thinks it would be risky (theft not damage) packing these in with the checked luggage but all this is kind of bulky to carry on.

Any opinions on how I should handle this issue?

Ron

Hi fellow Ohioian!

I have to agree with everyone else. If I had a $2500 video camera and $1100 digital cam, I wouldnt let them out of my sight until I was safely on the ship.

Im just curious what models do you own???

Thanks for all the answers. I guess that settles it. Jeff, I have a sony VX2000 video cam and a Sony 828. I am bringing the laptop mostly to download photos. I might have enough flash cards to make it thru the trip but I find until I view a picture on the laptop and zoom in I don't know if it is a keeper or not.

Ron

We just came back from our cruise, and my BF (owns video company) LOVES electronics and brings everything with him, including the cameras...

I would suggest delegating the carrying tasks to members of your family. With eleven others, surely you can find one or two to carry the laptop or camera, etc.

Have a great cruise!!

~J

We carried on our camera equipment and laptop. Have you ever see how the suitcases are stacked one on top of the other in those enormous bins? First there is possibility of damage to the laptop, second, but not likely, the laptop could be stolen with important info about you and family. I suggest you carry it on, heavy or not. You only have to walk through x-ray, across the walkway and to your cabin. Trust me, it's worth doing so.

We used our laptop to dump the photos for many in our group. Then we burned CDs with all their photos. That way they could continue taking pictures to their heart's content.

Cathy

With all the above info, you probably don't need another affirmation, but PLEASE don't even consider putting that expensive equipment in your checked luggage.

Other than the obvious of having it damaged or stolen, haven't you heard of LOST LUGGAGE?

Also - I wouldn't have it pass thru the carry-on x-ray machine, either. I hand ALL my cameras and film (in ziploc bags) to the checker and ask that they be hand-checked. They've never seemed to mind doing that for me.

Good luck, and happy sailing!:)

We just returned from our cruise a couple weeks ago and took all the electronics with us also. We just carried it all on with us! Glad we did too. Not that anything would have been stolen but we noticed that our luggage was "checked" at the airport and it most certainly could have happened.

Why not get a small carry on bag with wheels and put everything in it? That way you can just pull it along and have you hands free with all the stuff securely attached to your dragging arm. It also give a little more room in case you happen to buy someting along the way.

Why not get a small carry on bag with wheels and put everything in it? That way you can just pull it along and have you hands free with all the stuff securely attached to your dragging arm. It also give a little more room in case you happen to buy someting along the way.

Ditto. Our last trip, we packed our laptop, digital cameras, binoculars and enough small clothes to cushion everything into an airplane carry-on(with wheels,it weighed 30 lbs.) and it fit into the security machine just fine. I also carried a small backpack for personal stuff.

Archived