What to do in Kahului

CCAL

Is there anything to do in Kahului or around the area that is within walking distance? Don't want to rent a car the 2nd day and out of money so can't afford any more of the tours..what to do???? Thanks for any ideas.

Well, there is nothing in walking distance really....but you have two options at least that I can remember!

One is the Maui Ocean Center. They operate a shuttle from the pier to the center. The MOC is like a small aquarium of local fish and sea animals. Very well done. There is also a small shopping center attached that you can look through or get lunch.

The other option is the free shuttle to Hilo Hatties in Lahaina. Lahaina is a great town to window shop, look at the mission houses, grab a great cup of coffee and lunch, or stroll the water front.

I believe there is a shuttle to the KMart but I might be thinking of Kauai...but either way, the other two options are avaliable and free.

Sue

[quote name='CCAL']Is there anything to do in Kahului or around the area that is within walking distance? Don't want to rent a car the 2nd day and out of money so can't afford any more of the tours..what to do???? Thanks for any ideas.[/QUOTE]

The pier at Kahului is within walking distance of the Maui Mall, Kahului Mall, and Queen Kahamanu Center (the largest shopping center on Maui). Also within walking distance, and open on Saturdays, is the Kahului branch of the Hawai`i Public Library.

On Saturday mornings the Maui swap meet is open just a few blocks from the pier (at Pu`unene and Kamehameha). It costs $0.50 to get in and is worth the price of admission just to see the local flowers and produce. Many vendors sell aloha wear, hats, and other local products.

Sorry, we can't tell you about free shuttles since we haven't used them. But, Suebee and her family were on the [i]Star[/i] this past December, so her advice is undoubtedly sound.

If you'd like any more information about any of the above, please ask & we'll expand on them.

Thanks Sandi...I didnt remember seeing anything in walking distance...but you guys know best!
I only know of the shuttles as they announced them on the Star...then they offered the shuttle to Lahaina for a fee and I thought...who on earth would take that shuttle when Hilo Hatties offers one for free? We rented a car, but then another lady on the same cruise had children and was taking them to the Ocean Center.

Excellent advice about the swap meet.

BTW Sandi, My MIL is on Maui now! She is on the Wind today at Kahului and tomorrow Lahaina.

Great ideas. I especially liked the free shuttles from Hilo Hattie to Lahaina as I saw that the ship was offering shuttles for a fee ($25 rd trip) and the shuttles to the Ocean Center sounded great also. I am going to make use of the other information to visit around the area of Kahului on both the days we are there. Thanks soo much!!

Since you're within walking distance of Maui Mall, make sure that you drop by and visit Tasaka Guri-Guri to have some ... it's a sherbet like frozen treat with different flavors. It's a classic treat from Maui and they've been around forever. It's an acquired taste to some extent but it'll give you a taste of local flavor. You may want to drop by Maui Mixed Plate for a local plate lunch, another taste of local flavor. You haven't eaten in Hawaii until you've had a plate lunch (entree, two scoops of rice, and one scoop of macaroni salad). :)

Spleen

[quote name='eileen11']Hi Spleen
Where is Maui Mixed Plate in relation to the pier at Kahului? Is it in the mall that is near there?
Thanks![/QUOTE]
It's in the Maui Mall, same place as Tasaka Guri-guri. Right across the street from the dock. It's not the BEST place in Hawaii to have a plate lunch (that would be probably Rainbow Drive-Inn in Honolulu) but it does pretty well. :)

Spleen

Archived