Best Time Of Year To Cruise To Hawaii

bigs2man

Any opinions regarding the best time of year to cruise LA-Hawaii (both air temp and normal sea conditions for that time of year)?

I'm booked on ISLAND PRINCESS for April 11, 2007.

Don't know what to expect.

Any experienced travellers know "what's normal" for mid-april?

Thanks.

We were on the IP earlier this year - 4/22 departure from LA. In Springtime, the later, the better. Weather in LA is unpredictable this time of year; you should plan on the 1st day or 2 out of LA being chilly; seas can be rough too the first two days. We had beautiful weather in Hawaii, which was not the case on many of the voyages before then. From reading the roll calls of prior trips, dating back into December, many were not able to stop at all the Hawaiian ports of call due to heavy seas. Wintertime is the rainy season for Hawaii, and Southern California also.

On the other side of the coin, when the IP first starts this itinerary in Autumn, there is the hurricane season to think about in the Pacific.

Weather aside, it is a wonderful trip. Just plan on it being chilly for the first couple of days (e.g. jackets outside in the evening, and possibly too chilly to be sunbathing during the day).

Any opinions regarding the best time of year to cruise LA-Hawaii (both air temp and normal sea conditions for that time of year)?

I'm booked on ISLAND PRINCESS for April 11, 2007.

Don't know what to expect.

Any experienced travellers know "what's normal" for mid-april?

Thanks.

We are also cruising the Island Princess 4/11/07. Have you joined the roll call?

Peggy/Jay

I agree -- the later the better. We were on the Regal Princess' last Hawaiian cruise before the Alaska season (late April) and we were the first in several cruises to be able to stop at all of the ports. We did the same cruise in March this year and it was cool pretty much the entire way going and coming from Hawaii. We did make all of our ports but while we were in Hawaii, they were experiencing the worst rain in 40 years and many roads (and excursions) were wiped out. Given a choice, I'd go later in the Spring than early.

We have sailed to Hawaii in the spring, fall and winter. So far, the fall is our favorite time. October was our all time favorite as the waters were still very warm and the weather was perfect.

Spring was our least favorite, March/April. Cooler temps on the cruise over and rougher seas then in the fall.

We sailed from Hawaii to Ensenada in late March and also had cold weather for two days. Wished we had flown both ways. The cruise the week before us had terrible weather. I might think of going in the Fall, after hurricane season, because California typically has its hottest weather in September. I consider November a great time. Of course, anytime is a great time to be in Hawaii.

WE were with Letty and Len this past April. On the way over to Hawaii we found that laying by the stern pool was great. the ship's deck blocked the wind and through noon the sun beat down on you. They seas were rough the 2nd day out. The first day we were too excited to notice. Some from the CC group were feeling the motion (that includes me).

The five days going we got use to the ships and got to know our CC friends.

the five days coming back were restful and we always found something to do.

Hey, Letty - see your booked through 2007.

Bill

We went in October and it rained briefly on our excursion in Lahaina (the Iao Valley). We had near perfect weather the whole trip except the last two days when it got cold as we were getting closer to Ensenada and California. I only needed a sweatshirt and shorts for those days though. I never needed long pants of any sort.

Archived