RCCL and wheelchairs

jonj

I have tried emailing the concierge on the Explorer but it has been two weeks and still no answer so I thought I would come here for answers. By the way after one week I emailed them again in case they didn't receive the first one and still no answer

My question is this, are there any wheelchairs available on the ship if we should require one for my mother-in-law? She doesn't use one currently but she is on oxygen, a recent development, and sometimes can't go very far without tiring. If we find that she may need one while on the ship will we be able to get one?

I also called RCCL but keep getting different answers from everyone I talk to

Thanks for any help anyone can offer

I know that on the islands, Cocoa Cay I rememeber specifically that they had big wheeled wheelchairs that would go in the sand easier for t he guests that needed them. I don't think you'll have a problem at all.

Thanks but Cocoa Cay is not one of our stops. Labadee is. Does anyone know if they have them there and if we need to reserve one ahead of time?

I am also looking for info on the ship itself

Lots of info in the Special Interest section, specifically Disabled Cruisers. Also, rather than the Concierge, I would suggest you call the Special Needs Dept at Royal Caribbean.

Typically there are wheelchairs for assisting during boarding but they are not for extended use by passengers.

Sounds like you might want to consider renting a wheelchahir or scooter....will make both of your lives easier.

Labadee does have beach wheelchairs from what I have been told.

Have a great Cruise!

normally, unless the wheelchair is required as a result of an onboard injury, the cruise line does not allow the use of their wheelchairs except for embarkation and disembarkation. if a passenger has a pre-existing condition which does (or may)require the use of a wheelchair, the passenger is expected to provide it. suggest you call rccl special needs department to verify this, but to the best of my knowledge this has been their policy for the last several years. the no is 800-722-5472:)

If you know your mother may need a wheelchair, I would suggest renting (or borrowing) one prior to your trip. The walk from the curb (if you drop her off) to the room will be a long one. And there will be standing involved, sometimes for semi-long periods of time.

For all of you, I would bring one and hope she does not use it often.

We brought one for my MIL, who only used it some parts of the day, but it was a real life saver. She felt much more comfortable, and was able to go with us places, knowing she would not have to walk/stand the entire time.

I think you will find, or already finding, that the cruise lines don't like promise the use of a shipboard wheelchair. They do have them but I believe they are afraid to reserve them for passengers in advance because they don't know what the total demands for wheelchair use will be on a cruise until too late. With that said I've seen numerous instances of passengers using ship owned wheelchairs for an entire cruise. On our last cruise my son-in-law was recovering from a leg injury and he was offered a wheelchair once we were onboard (he was too macho to accept). You can take your chances on getting one but there are absolutely no guarantees.

My wife also needs a wheelchair to go any distance so we travel with a light weight variety (called a transport chair). We gate check it when flying so that we can use it in airports and have taken it with us on many many cruises.

I also suggest that you talk with the special needs dept. They will need to know about her O2 anyway. There may be forms to fill out to be allowed to bring the O2. Like everyone has said... RCCL's chairs are for getting on and off the ship and if an injury occurs while on board. These chairs are not ment or allowed to be taken off the ship. If you don't know where to get a chair for her there are several services that can have one waiting in the cabin for her when she arrives. Have a great time.

Thanks everyone.

We have been in contact with the special needs department about the O2 but just recently (in the last week) noticed that she is having trouble going long distances some times but not all the time. I will call them again this week to inquire about the chairs

Can anyone suggest any place we can rent one from that will have it waiting at the ship for us? We are going out of NJ on the Explorer and will be on a flight one way home from Miami as this is a repositioning cruise

This is all new to us

No matter what they tell you, do not rely on RCCL to provide a wheelchair. Rent one and bring it with you.

Yes, RCCL will sometimes do lend passengers wheelchairs, but we had an experience when they promised us one for my husband to use in port and then did not have one because other passengers kept the chairs they used for embarkation. After much discussion, they promised to email ahead and have one waiting in each port. Wrong again. At each port except the last one where we were 5 hours late, it took 2 to 3 hours and several reminders to get a chair.

When I wrote a letter of complaint to RCCL after the cruise, I was told that it was my fault. I should have brought my own even though RCCL comitted to providing one. Of course, perhaps it was my fault. When I called the pursers desk to verify that we would get a chair, I never should have been gracious enough to say we could wait until the end of embarkation.

My wife broke her foot about 4 weeks before our cruise...arriving on cruthes, Rccl quickly got us a wheelchair and somone who helped us from the bus, thu checkin and to the room. For a deposit, i got a wheelchair for the whole cruise and when i turned the wheelchair in i got the deposit back...we did not take the wheelchair off the ship, just used it onboard.

Thanks everyone.

We have been in contact with the special needs department about the O2 but just recently (in the last week) noticed that she is having trouble going long distances some times but not all the time. I will call them again this week to inquire about the chairs

Can anyone suggest any place we can rent one from that will have it waiting at the ship for us? We are going out of NJ on the Explorer and will be on a flight one way home from Miami as this is a repositioning cruise

This is all new to us

I would check with the company that supplies the oxygen. Some of the major ones have offices in other cities and can have whatever you need waiting for you. While waiting to pick up replacement parts for my cpap machine I overheard my company tell another customer that they could have some type of medical equipment waiting at their vacation destination.

We were on the Explorer this past January with my mother who needed a wheelchair due to a fall a few weeks before.

We were given one at the port to take her onboard. Once onboard, she was taken to the pursors desk where she was loaned a wheelchair for the week. She had to give a security deposit of $300 on her seapass card, but it was returned when the chair was returned.

You cannot expect the cruise line to provide a wheelchair. Please consider renting one.

We tend to think of our own trave group, imagine if any cruise line had 100 or 200 requests (well, forgot HAL, they might jsut have that many).

The few they do have are circulated throughout the ship for medical needs, or embark/dissembark, and other circumstances.

I have tried emailing the concierge on the Explorer but it has been two weeks and still no answer so I thought I would come here for answers. By the way after one week I emailed them again in case they didn't receive the first one and still no answer

My question is this, are there any wheelchairs available on the ship if we should require one for my mother-in-law? She doesn't use one currently but she is on oxygen, a recent development, and sometimes can't go very far without tiring. If we find that she may need one while on the ship will we be able to get one?

I also called RCCL but keep getting different answers from everyone I talk to

Thanks for any help anyone can offer

My my Wife had This problem Of Walking,She Had Slipped on ice.and Busted up her Leg,We had a Cruise coming up,So I tried to rent a weelchair,Well as soon as I told them What I need It for.The answer was no way,But they also told me that I should try some other Rental place,and not to say That we were taking it on a trip,Just that you need it till all was ok not use it any More You will have to pay up front for it,Unless your Health Ins would cover it for you.It came in great use on our cruise,The ship and staff were just Great.They helped Her in any way that was possible.To make us enjoy our Cruise.My wife still has trouble walking Great distance's. We have a cruise coming up Very soon And I might still go and rent one again,Enjoy your Cruise,And have Fun

Wheelchairs are always available at the port before you board. Get one before you get on and keep it for the week. Never had a problem with RCCL. When arriving back at Florida, if you want to take the wheelchair out of the building you will need to give the the guard at the door your drivers license. Once you return it, they will return your license to you. They told us they were having a problem with wheelchairs being stolen. Good Luck with your cruise!

Diamond Plus member

Archived