Captains Stateroom

DKobler

Just wondering if anyone has seen or been in the captains quarters? Where are they generally located on the Carnival ships, in the lower deck area or close to the bridge? If the captain is on ths ship for weeks or even months at a time, how large of an area does he have for living space and how nicely furnished is the area? What about family, does he take his/her family on board also? Just curious.

Typically Captians quaters are close to the bridge (makes sense). The oficers are also "upstairs". They are nicer than the rest of the crews and the captain ussually has and area for a desk and working. Although nice, this is not a suite. Space on a ship is at a premium and must all be costed out. That said, ot's good to be the "king".

I haven't seen the captains cabin, but, I did see the cabin of the Chief Engineer on the Destiny. It was on deck 7 forward, that could only be accessed through a locked "employees only" door. It was a 3 room suite with a bar, balcony, and a computer station. How do I know this? Well, I did meet the Chief Engineer at the internet cafe. He offered me a tour of the ship. Of course I accepted. After he showed me all the hidden areas, we "wound" up in his stateroom. Needless to say I ended that tour right then and there. So I would be safe to assume that the catains cabin would be a touch more luxurious that the Cheif Engineer who is 2nd or 3rd in comand.

Happy Cruising!

Seeker

My guess is that the above statements are right on the money. On the Dawn Princess I had the farthest forward cabin before the bridge with crew quarters in between. I met the underwater diver a couple of times coming out that door. I could even see the officers when they were out on the extended portion of the bridge:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/75940712/75941961ExBmRZ

I have been to the captain's quarters on Paradise a couple of times.

On the Fantasy class vessels, the officers in the deck department are upstairs on deck 10 aft of the bridge, on the starboard side, while the engineers are on the port side. Both sides have a number of pursers, and the starboard has the security and environmental chiefs, while the port has the cruise director and hotel director.

The captain has a very similar if not identical suite to the chief engineer from what I gather. the corridor coming in is like a pair of brackets. Once you get past the environmental and deck offices, you turn left or right. You go down the hallway, and on the top of the bracket is the captain's cabin, and then the short hallway to the bridge.

You enter the cabin through a door and a curtain. There was a large chest to the left, then a cabinet thing like for jackets or whatever. To the right was a bathroom I believe. The first large room is his workspace. He has large cabinets and drawers, and a nice desk and chair. He has a good computer and printer. There are also a few gauges there including a nice little course compass, radio if memory serves, and maybe something else.

All the lights in the room have dimmers, something even the category-12 suites lack.

There is then a large sitting room that isn't really separated from it, which has a few windows. Off to the right behind another curtain is where the captain sleeps. Don't know how he is set up there.

Several years ago, a friend and I were cruising together. Lots of things were very different back then. It was in the day when the captain always chose a lady to have the first dance with at the Captain's Party. He chose my friend.

He invited both of us to join him for after-dinner cocktails, in his quarters. We accepted (but of course!) :) We had a lengthy tour of the bridge, which was fascinating. We met the officers on duty. The next evening we were invited to have dinner in his quarters....very, very nice. Every night of the cruise after that, we had pre-dinner cocktails with him in one of the lounges. (Nope, no funny business!):D He didn't mind at all that I took several photos, both in his quarters, as well as on the bridge.

His quarters were very roomy and spacious, and yes, located down a hall from the bridge. He had a rather large sitting room with bookshelves, couch, recliner, TV, desk, and wetbar. It looked like a home 'den'. There were lots of framed family photos, and he spoke proudly of his family in Italy, and how much he missed them. His bedroom was separated by a door, and he had a large bathroom - about 3 times the size of normal cabins. One wall in the sitting room was one huge window.

I can understand why the captains' quarters are so roomy and nice. They LIVE there, and on the ship for months at a stretch, why not be comfy?

THAT was a fun cruise!;)

DeckCadet, What position did or do you work in, on board?? The only reason I ask is 'cause the information you have can only be from an officer working or having worked on board.....just a guess, was it as an I/S Manager/Damager??
No, I'm a 15 year old kid who has sailed three times with the same captain, who has taken me under his wing I guess. He's a cool guy.

And if you're wondering how I know about who is on what side, it is very simple. Over each door are name-plates. Master, Staff captain, Sr. Deck officer etc.

Archived