Single Cruiser...Can You Have A good Time ?

jessemon

Just noticed this thread, and think that there are excellent advices for Solo Travellers.

I've done 4 cruises as a solo traveller. And, I loved every single one of them. Particularly the last one. I did the Valor this past April, and it was excellent. Met a lot of people through Cruise Critic prior to leaving, so it was easier to make friends.

Then, they put me at a table for 8, every single one of us was single. We became fast buddies. We met up afterwards, to party the night away, some did excursions together.

I'm doing the Crown Princess in April, and will be meeting up with a couple from Chicago, whom I met on the Valor. So, I'll be getting the best of both worlds...

I think that a cruise is perfect for solo travellers. There's ample opportunity to meet lots of terrific people.

Joanne

Joanne,

Sounds like a great time on that cruise.

Hope you stay in touch to give some helpful hints and hopr you have a great time on the "Crown" with friends you met while cruising.:cool:

I completely agree with you suzin! A cruise would be the last place I would expect to find a guy and def. no fling, oh no.

Like you said, there are more "pickins' on land if that was the intent. LOL

I am sure there are those that are on the lookout for this, each to their own, right, but I bet the majority are like me, and just want to mingle, make new friends, and have a relaxing fun time, away from all the stresses and demands of our jobs!

I worked on a cruise ship years ago, and have seen all kinds of things to make your hair stand on end, and its not just the "flings" among passengers that go on...the crew get involved too....hence why I would be even more wary!

Most of us are independent, smart and self confident, so would not be foolish enough to go for a "fling", but like I said before,each to their own!

I have to tell you that is the last thing on my mind...ugh..just wanna get away from it all, and all that too! ha ha! :)

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN
I completely agree with you suzin! A cruise would be the last place I would expect to find a guy and def. no fling, oh no.

Like you said, there are more "pickins' on land if that was the intent. LOL

I am sure there are those that are on the lookout for this, each to their own, right, but I bet the majority are like me, and just want to mingle, make new friends, and have a relaxing fun time, away from all the stresses and demands of our jobs!

I worked on a cruise ship years ago, and have seen all kinds of things to make your hair stand on end, and its not just the "flings" among passengers that go on...the crew get involved too....hence why I would be even more wary!

Most of us are independent, smart and self confident, so would not be foolish enough to go for a "fling", but like I said before,each to their own!

I have to tell you that is the last thing on my mind...ugh..just wanna get away from it all, and all that too! ha ha! :)

But from what I have observed it is almost exclusively by people that are travelling with family or in groups who are looking for an escape from their people. Most solo cruisers are already brave (bold) and worldly enough to know where to go to find THAT:eek: . If you got on the ship alone would you really want the burden of spending your precious cruise time trying to cultivate a relationship that may or not work out. Nah!! That is for land vacations and back home. Cruising is for serious socializing with NO ties. That is why you cruise alone isn't it. Can you imagine ending up trying to avoid someone (you have determined is not right for you) who is calling your cabin constantly or popping up on lido deck.:mad: Oh perish the thought.

All of my cruises/vacations have pretty much been solo. I've found that planning them with organized groups make things so much easier. Being a single female in Egypt was my most awkward/uncomfortable vacation but it was still a true adventure!

You are so right! you made me laugh and bring back some memories!!! I remember times when I have cruised and have had the "pleasure" (not!) of a guy that would just seemed to "appear" wherever I went, I just couldn't avoid him wherever I went! ha ha!

but oh! it sure does happen like that doesn't it.

Indeed one does not want to exert such energy trying to "avoid" these people, but just be friendly and have fun! It can be very amusing tho, I have to say. LOL

All part of the solo cruise experience I guess. Not to be taken seriously but just enjoyed.

I remember times when I have cruised and have had the "pleasure" (not!) of a guy that would just seemed to "appear" wherever I went, I just couldn't avoid him wherever I went! ha ha! .[/quoteLadies,

That is funny. the worst part is it not only happen to solo female cruisers.:eek:

Here you are having a nice relazing afternoon at the pool bar and you get someone gnawing on your ear. You try to be polite:rolleyes:

The next thing you know is no matter where you go or what time of day....there they are. I have had this happen more than I care to count. It doesn't matter if you are male or female or they are male or female. It is a nightmare. All you want to do is relax and there is this person.

I at times being me have been to the point..."Go away".:D

So who is lurking out there that want's to chime in about solo cruising?

Jeff

I was married before I went on my first cruise, I wish I had known before or at least thought of it . Look around, there normally are very few Single Men and a whole boat load of Unattached Ladies hoping to meet Mr. Right on a moonlight cruise .

Seems to me that it would have been fun to have done solo , I must add , no desire to lose / change my life situation, but come on, it is better ratio of women to men than any other situation I have ever seen .:D

I thought it was just me not seeing all the sexy men onboard. Thank goodness you said something. :D I did see a few cute ship emplyees though.

Seems as if I created a few responses, I did not imply that any single traveler was not self confident, self reliant or whatever else was said, just stated my observations from past cruises .

Trying to assure the original poster that it is ok to travel solo , you can have as much fun as any couple and there are a lot of people to socialize with . Some with out a spouse or significant other to get uptight if you happen to talk to them .

OK....my 2 cents.....

Personally, I think that a cruise is the greatest vacation to take solo!!

All the things I love about it could take me hours to talk about :D

I agree about dinner....I always request a large table and a late seating. I have always enjoyed my tablemates. SOmetimes we have had similar interests and gone out after dinner together and other times we were good dinner companions and left it pretty much there.

As far as other meals go.....sometimes I very much enjoy eating alone and other times I go to the dining room during the open seating time and been seated at a table with other people. This is another great way to meat people.

I have no problem chatting with people. I am a pretty outgoing person but I believe that a cruise has to be about one of the easiest places to just strike up a conversation with a "stranger" near you. I think that "cruisers" tend to be quite friendly and the expectation is in the air that people will chat. If you ask 5 people something about cruising (i.e....are you enjoying this cruis? Is this your first cruise? etc) I am willing to bet that all 5 will get into a nice long conversation ;)

One of the things I really enjoy about cruising is the nightlife. Although in most circumstances going into a piano bar or disco as a single woman alone is not easy doing this on a ship does not have to be a challange! First of all, as someone stated somewhere back there in this thread there are lots of people who wander from venue to venue alone and don't stick with their travel partners all night long.

OK.....I could go on and on and on about the virtues of solo cruising.....

I'll stop for now and just say......TRY IT, YOU'LL LIKE IT!! :D

I wanted to add....

On the subject of Formal Night - I absolutely, most definetly go for it!! I LOVE formal nights and have purchased a few gowns over the past couple of years which I just love. I don't think that going alone is any reason for me not to go all out. Actually, I like to "dress" for dinner every night and pack several nice dresses etc. for the week. I realize that this is my personal choice and I am simply suggesting that as a solo traveler you should dress to your comfort level....after all, that is the wonderful thing about cruising solo...It's all about YOU and YOUR comfort!!!! :D

OK....my 2 cents.....

Personally, I think that a cruise is the greatest vacation to take solo!!

All the things I love about it could take me hours to talk about :D

I agree about dinner....I always request a large table and a late seating. I have always enjoyed my tablemates. SOmetimes we have had similar interests and gone out after dinner together and other times we were good dinner companions and left it pretty much there.

As far as other meals go.....sometimes I very much enjoy eating alone and other times I go to the dining room during the open seating time and been seated at a table with other people. This is another great way to meat people.

I have no problem chatting with people. I am a pretty outgoing person but I believe that a cruise has to be about one of the easiest places to just strike up a conversation with a "stranger" near you. I think that "cruisers" tend to be quite friendly and the expectation is in the air that people will chat. If you ask 5 people something about cruising (i.e....are you enjoying this cruis? Is this your first cruise? etc) I am willing to bet that all 5 will get into a nice long conversation ;)

One of the things I really enjoy about cruising is the nightlife. Although in most circumstances going into a piano bar or disco as a single woman alone is not easy doing this on a ship does not have to be a challange! First of all, as someone stated somewhere back there in this thread there are lots of people who wander from venue to venue alone and don't stick with their travel partners all night long.

OK.....I could go on and on and on about the virtues of solo cruising.....

I'll stop for now and just say......TRY IT, YOU'LL LIKE IT!! :D

Great post LizaMM.

And I plan to try it soon.....:D

Read your next post before coming back to this one.

Question...as a solo male cruiser probably going out on a 4 or 5 night Carnival cruise....Tuxedo or double breasted black suite with button collar shirt.

Any ideas???

Great post LizaMM.

Question...as a solo male cruiser probably going out on a 4 or 5 night Carnival cruise....Tuxedo or double breasted black suite with button collar shirt.

Any ideas???

I have only gone on 7 night cruises which have 2 formal nights. I can't say if shorter cruises tend to be "less formal" or not but either the tux or the suit sound wonderful to me! If you enjoy wearing a tux and would really like to get gussied up then I would definetly say go for the tux!! This is why I wear gowns...how often do I have a chance to go all out like that?!?!? A nice suit with a shirt and tie is also very acceptable. I have usually seen a smattering of tuxedos, a lot of suits and then a smattering of men who stick to sports coats and tie. If you do not own a tux you can rent one 9and shoes) on board. You get measured at a local place and send that info to Carnival and then they have everything all ready for you. This is a nice option because you don't have to worry about packing the extra stuff if that is an issue for you.

There was another issue touched on in this thread that I wanted to comment on.....Shore Excursions... I have done these both by booking through Carnival and also with independant tour operators. I have also gone to ports where I just got off the ship and found my own way somewhere.

For the most part - in my experience - booking through the Cruiseline has an advantage to the Solo Cruiser....

You are in a position of meeting other Pax on your ship, and also presumably these pax have at least some interests in common with you as you selected the same thing to do among many choices for the day. When I have done private tours I have been with Pax from other ships as well and of course the group is much smaller (which is plus for those actually) and while I enjoy them immensly I do not have as much opportunity of walking away from the excursion with plans to meet for a drink or a show at some point.

Also, as a single woman I have felt more comfortable booking Carnival excursions in some ports.

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN
Great post LizaMM.

Any ideas???

I have done everything from 3 - 7 nighters. The first formal night on 7 nighters is as formal as on the 3 nighters. However, it has been my experience that the 2nd formal night on 7 nighters is less as formally attired.

If you are solo, for no other reason, I would say a double breasted black suit. Unless you like to do the tux thing and then go for it. Either way, either or the other is fine. The suit just allows for a smoother transition from dinner to evening activities without having to change clothes or feeling overdressed later in the evening.

I have done everything from 3 - 7 nighters. The first formal night on 7 nighters is as formal as on the 3 nighters. However' date=' it has been my experience that the 2nd formal night on 7 nighters is less as formally attired.

If you are solo, for no other reason, I would say a double breasted black suit. Unless you like to do the tux thing and then go for it. Either way, either or the other is fine. The suit just allows for a smoother transition from dinner to evening activities without having to change clothes or feeling overdressed later in the evening.[/quote']

That's a good point "CS". I own a tux and dinner jacket. Have done cruises from 3 to 11 days. I guess on a shorter cruise I would probably take the suit instead of the tux. Not to say Carnival is less traditional but, I like your idea that it would probably make a better transition after dinner to wear the suit.

Wouldn't feel overdressed then.

Thanks "CS" and LizaMM for the thoughts.

Jeff

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN
So gang...do you think Allen is having a great time....????

It is about 6:30 PM and he's had a day at sea.

Sure he has met alot of folks he met on the Saints and Sinners thread.

I am jealous...

Jeff

when did he leave?

when did he leave?

He left yesterday on the Conquest out of Galveston....

That is the "CC" thread that is soooo large titled Saints and Sinners...:eek:

Sounds like one I would have liked to have been on...because I am no Saint and we will leave the sinner part alone...:D

Jeff

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN

I have never done a CC cruise so I do not know how much their group dominates the cruise but under normal circumstances he should be just realizing that he is having a ball and solo cruising has it perks.

The problem with the CC cruise is that he will probably not get the full feel of freedom because so many of the cc cruisers already knows him and his circumstance. He is a solo within a group. Just a bit different from booking a cruise completely solo and winging it. Either way as long as it is a cruise, it is perfect.

I have never done a CC cruise so I do not know how much their group dominates the cruise but under normal circumstances he should be just realizing that he is having a ball and solo cruising has it perks.

The problem with the CC cruise is that he will probably not get the full feel of freedom because so many of the cc cruisers already knows him and his circumstance. He is a solo within a group. Just a bit different from booking a cruise completely solo and winging it. Either way as long as it is a cruise' date=' it is perfect.[/quote']

CS,

For a first time though solo it would be fun. A good transition. If he wants to be alone...he does not have to answer to anyone but himsellf....;)

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN
CS,

For a first time though solo it would be fun. A good transition. If he wants to be alone...he does not have to answer to anyone but himsellf....;)

correct kind of like a security rope just in case. I have no problems with it as long as the other CCer's lets him do his thing and not try to "help" him too much.

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN
Trust me, he "knows" MANY of the S&S ers...........

Should be intreresting with the mixing of the three cruise website members.

What do you mean? What mixing?

correct kind of like a security rope just in case. I have no problems with it as long as the other CCer's lets him do his thing and not try to "help" him too much.

CS' date='[/color']

I agree. I'm sure Allen will find his own time.

I am jealous...;)

Archived