Carnival Destiny vs. Golden Princess

daynab

I really want to do a Southern Caribbean cruise, (have not been there in almost 9 years), and my two best options are CCL and Princess. I was wondering if anyone has done one or both and what could you tell me. I know the Destiny is an older ship, what kind of shape is she in? We were on the Triumph last April and loved it. We have never done Princess, I think I would like to give it a try. It is a busy itinerary but the islands are some i've never been to. We are looking to book a suite on each ship and Princess is a little pricier but the ship looks beautiful. Also wondering about how the camp is on Princess. I have a 3 and 6 year old who loved camp carnival. Please help. I am so confused.

Thanks in Advance,
Dayna

I was on the Destiny and the Golden's sister the Star and would pick the GOlden. I like the fresh water pools and refined service of Princess. Also, with these port intensive S. Caribbean itineraries, PC dining is truly an advantage.

Check your dates carefully...we just got off the Caribbean Princess, and they informed us they are pulling Golden from the southern itinerary and sending her to the Med sometime in the spring, I think. No replacement ship for that itinerary.
Bummer...we were looking at it as well.
Shari :)

I think we are now leaning more toward the Destiny. My BIL loved Carnival so much last time he wants to do it again. Also I like the extra sea day and the late ports in Barbados and Aruba. The kids also want the waterslide. I guess Princess changing itineraries makes my decision even easier. Thanks for all your help.

Dayna

I'm a TA, so, I hope you don't mind a bit of professional input... Personally I love both ships and have sailed upon both ships. The Golden is more port intensive with only one day at sea whereas the Destiny has two days at sea. Princess is a bit more formal and Carnival is more laid back. You didn't mention when you wanted to take your cruise but, if you are leaning towards Princess, book early! Princess does limit the number of children onboard. However, don't let that scare you. I have no children of my own but, have been told that Princess children's program is excellent. On the Golden Princess you have two alternative restaurants in addition to the main dinning room and buffet (which by the way is 24 hours a day). The Destiny, being an older ship at this point, only has the main dinning rooms and the buffet. In my personal taste and opinion, Princess food wins over Carnival hands down. And, don't take that wrong either...I really enjoy Carnival's food. I'm just saying I find Princess better.

Princess is a bit more refined in all aspects. You'll find wood and brass adorning the ship vs. neon over kill on the Destiny. You'll find a slightly older crowd on Princess too.

In all honesty, you can't go wrong with either ship. Both offer fantastic itineraries. It's just a matter of your own personal tastes and needs. Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Tina from NJ

I'd just like to throw in another option...Royal Caribban Adventure of the Seas or the Serande of the Seas. Two years ago we were on the Destiny and absolutely loved that cruise (I cried when I had to leave). Because we liked the Southern Caribbean so much, we booked the Adventure in Spring of the next year and the Seranade in the Fall. Both of these ships are beautiful and the service impeccable. We don't have children, but we toured the childrens facilities and they really were impressive. The Adventure Ocean program is designed for 5 different age groups so the activities are appropriate for the age of your child.

Thanks so much for the input, I have heard so many great things about Princess and will eventually try it, but with the kids I think that particular itinerary is too much. I like the days at sea and the kids have time in camp. On the port days they miss alot that is going on because they are off the ship. Afterall it is their vacation too.

Also, we thought about Adventure of the Seas, but DH really wants to go to Aruba.

Found some great pricing on Carnival and may even bump up to a suite. ( still trying to convince DH)

Thanks again, Dayna

Archived