Passports

boco5

I'm a TA and we're advising everyone to get them, cause congress could change there minds, then you're out of luck. I think I saw something from Royal Caribbean go by my desk earlier this week, that passports will be mandatory for them starting next year delay or no delay.

Take care,

Michael

I'm a TA and we're advising everyone to get them, cause congress could change there minds, then you're out of luck. I think I saw something from Royal Caribbean go by my desk earlier this week, that passports will be mandatory for them starting next year delay or no delay.

Take care,

Michael

NCL said they would be required for travel after January 2008. I believe I read also that if there is a change, plenty of notice would be given to allow travelers to obtain passports.

Take care,

Michael

NCL said they would be required for travel after January 2008. I believe I read also that if there is a change, plenty of notice would be given to allow travelers to obtain passports.

I'm getting a little anxious about our passports. My family of 4 applied on Tuesday of last week (October 17) and had to send our birth certificates along with the applications. Our cruise is December 16 which seems like plenty of time, but since they have our birth certificates also, that spoils my backup plan. 6 weeks would put it around the end of November. I hope I didn't cut it too close. I know they must have more than usual coming through right now.

I'm getting a little anxious about our passports. My family of 4 applied on Tuesday of last week (October 17) and had to send our birth certificates along with the applications. Our cruise is December 16 which seems like plenty of time, but since they have our birth certificates also, that spoils my backup plan. 6 weeks would put it around the end of November. I hope I didn't cut it too close. I know they must have more than usual coming through right now.

We applied on Oct 3rd in anticipation of a Feb., 2007 cruise. We also have another cruise scheduled for Dec. 3, 2006 & I didn't realize they kept your birth certificate when you apply for a passport. My TA told me we could go on line to check on the status. I did & it said the earliest the passports would be mailed is Nov. 14th. I figured, no problem, we'd request another copy of our birth certificates. That's fine for my husband who was born in Virginia. Only took 10 days through the mail. In Louisiana we can usually go to the health unit & get one on-site. However, in Louisiana records are housed in New Orleans & due to Katrina damage, it's taking 2 to 3 months. Needless to say I panicked. So I called the passport office & got it expedited for $60 plus $15 postage. It was here in 6 days. No more anxiety, thank goodness! Hope everything works out for you.

We applied on Oct 3rd in anticipation of a Feb., 2007 cruise. We also have another cruise scheduled for Dec. 3, 2006 & I didn't realize they kept your birth certificate when you apply for a passport. My TA told me we could go on line to check on the status. I did & it said the earliest the passports would be mailed is Nov. 14th. I figured, no problem, we'd request another copy of our birth certificates. That's fine for my husband who was born in Virginia. Only took 10 days through the mail. In Louisiana we can usually go to the health unit & get one on-site. However, in Louisiana records are housed in New Orleans & due to Katrina damage, it's taking 2 to 3 months. Needless to say I panicked. So I called the passport office & got it expedited for $60 plus $15 postage. It was here in 6 days. No more anxiety, thank goodness! Hope everything works out for you.

I didn't know about the birth certificate either! Oddly enough, my husband is from Virginia, too. We live in NC so it's harder to get his than mine and the kids. I've been checking online everyday to see what our status is. So far (just over a week later) we aren't in the system yet. I'm sure their workload is heavy so I haven't panicked. Yet. I'm just one of those people who would rather have them in hand a month before we leave. That would alleviate my anxiety. I'm glad to know that I can call and expedite if it gets too close. Money is no object when there's a cruise on the line. ;)

I didn't know about the birth certificate either! Oddly enough, my husband is from Virginia, too. We live in NC so it's harder to get his than mine and the kids. I've been checking online everyday to see what our status is. So far (just over a week later) we aren't in the system yet. I'm sure their workload is heavy so I haven't panicked. Yet. I'm just one of those people who would rather have them in hand a month before we leave. That would alleviate my anxiety. I'm glad to know that I can call and expedite if it gets too close. Money is no object when there's a cruise on the line. ;)

Know what you mean. I sure didn't like paying even more for a passport, but with our luck, didn't want to risk it. Good luck with yours!!!

Know what you mean. I sure didn't like paying even more for a passport, but with our luck, didn't want to risk it. Good luck with yours!!!

I checked yet again, and we're finally in the system! The official word is that our passports will arrive on or around November 29. We cruise on December 16 so it seems like they'll be back on time. I'll just have to keep watching, I guess.

One of the other TA's at my company made a very good point, as the regulations stand now, you don't need a passport to cruise to the Caribbean until June 2009, but if you fly to the Caribbean you need one. If you get sick though and have to be taken off the ship and fly back home, you're going to have a hell of a time getting back into the US without a passport. Better safe then sorry, plus once you have a passport you can travel pretty much everywhere except Cuba and North Korea.

Michael

We applied for our passports on October 6 and received them today, exactly 3 weeks later.

They showed up in the system on October 17. It said to expect them November 20. We were surprised to get them in such a short time.

I checked yet again, and we're finally in the system! The official word is that our passports will arrive on or around November 29. We cruise on December 16 so it seems like they'll be back on time. I'll just have to keep watching, I guess.

That's great. Have a great cruise!!

Yes, it appears sea and land travel as been delayed one more year by Congress, to the first of 2008. From the State Dept. website:

On January 8, 2007, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will be required to present a valid passport, Air NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document.

As early as January 1, 2008, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda by land or sea (including ferries), may be required to present a valid passport or other documents as determined by the Department of Homeland Security. While recent legislative changes permit a later deadline, the Departments of State and Homeland Security are working to meet all requirements as soon as possible. Ample advance notice will be provided to enable the public to obtain passports or passport cards for land/sea entries.

I WOULD STILL GET A PASSPORT ANYWAY. YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO FLY BACK TO THE STATES NEXT YEAR IF YOU GET SICK, GET HURT, OR GET ARRESTED WITHOUT A PASSPORT.

When I applied (along w/my children) several years ago, our birth certificates were returned to us a few weeks before our passports were mailed to us.

I do know several people who recently applied for passports and they received them in 3-4 weeks.

You have, most likely, beat the "rush".

Enjoy your cruise:)

Archived