Can't decide which to do?

eyern

We are debating a # of great sounding options. I had hoped to save some money this day and just go to the boatyard, but we already have a couple of almost pure beachdays planned, so I don't know. There are 2 of us. For those of you who have been before, give me your picks of the bunch.

1) Spend the day at the boatyard.

2) Take the Heatwave catamaran

3) Take the Thriller speedboat tour

4) Take a taxi or public bus to Crane beach and maybe catch a few other sights by bus or taxi

5) Ride the Jolly Roger pirate ship

6)Hire a private taxi tour for 4 or 6 hours.

All answers and comments appreciated.

The pubic beaches are not near as fun as the Boatyard, there is lots more to do there although it does get crowded. If you want to mellow day, the Catamaran is nice.

FYI, the taxi drivers at the pier try to talk you out of going to the Boatyard, it has something to do with the owner and no one liking him.

Atleast thats the way is was the last 2 times i was there.

Well you have alot of good choices there - i think it comes down to what you are looking for out of your day. Ok Here goes.....

Boatyard - One of the best places to go to relax on a beautiful beach listen to some nice tunes and enjoy the "water toys" in the sea, drink some cocktails (Pina Colada my fav) and have some lunch. My dh and I really had a great time when we were there and plan it for sure on our next trip. There is a thread already on here that you can also get a lot of info on the Boatyard as well or there website http://www.theboatyard.com

Heatwave - Really awesome catamaran cruise. We swam with some sea turtles and that was such a great experience we totally loved it!! The food was delicious and the crew fantastic. Loved to see all the different bays Barbados has and loved the scenery, very different from the road. There is also another thread here that i did a review on the Heatwave as well as others comments.

http://www.heatwavesailingcruises.com

Thriller - A very fast big speed boat and also fun. However I had a neck injury from a previous accident and that kinda aggrivated it a bit. Still had a good time but its only a short excursion if your for a full day.

http://www.thrillerboats.com

The Crane - Listed as one of the most beautiful beaches in the world - and it is. You can pay a fee to go through the hotel or take the private entrance on the other end of the beach. Only thing is its quite far from the pier and not sure what the taxi ride would be. A local bus fare runs at .75 (very cheap) but sometimes the buses are not very reliable especially out that far.

http://www.thecrane.com

The Jolly Roger - Never been on it myself but have had friends who have. They called it a real Booze Cruise!! lol Watch out for the rumpunches - they have a real punch!!!

Private tour - If you want to see the interior of the island and get some facts and history and spend most of the time driving around - then thats probably the best way - private. You really get to see the island through the eyes of the ppl that live there and we really enjoy the personal attention. If you wanted to swim somewhere - ask your driver beforehand if thats an option as it would be a shame to go to Barbados and not experience their beautiful water and beaches.

Hope thats some help. My two choices would be Heatwave and go to the Boatyard after if you have time.

You will enjoy it what ever you do cuz Barbados is so beautiful...its hard NOT to!!!!!:)

The Boatyard (at least my understanding from people who went on my last cruise) was like Club Med-ish and didn't really give you a sense of the "real" Barbados.

We hired a cab right outside the port "mall" and he took us to Crane Beach. The ride is lovely and you can ask your driver anything you want to know about Barbados - he/she will be more than happy to tell you.

There is a beautiful resort at Crane Beach (which charges $25 per person to get in - but that $$$ is applied to your lunch the stunning restaurant). You have to walk down to the beach itself - lots of stairs, sometimes a little steep. Once there, you rent a chaise and just chill out. The beach can only accomodate <100 people (or so it seemed).

The guys on the beach have beer, soda and water for purchase.

Enjoy the water - stunning! Then go for lunch and enjoy a great bottle of wine. Before you know it you have to head back to the ship and, once there, you really feel like you've take a trip within a trip.

A true delight! ENJOY!

CRUZINFREAK, I have been a lttle unclear in my readings about something on the heatwave and maybbe you can help me. Doesn't it leave from the boatyyard or right next to it? I was thinking the same people owned it. If so, if you do the Heatwave, are you given access without any extra charge for the boatyard (like I said, it sounds like you are already in it)? Thanks. I may have to email them to get this straight. Also Crane sounds so loveley. Sounds hard to go wrong with any of it.

The Boatyard (at least my understanding from people who went on my last cruise) was like Club Med-ish and didn't really give you a sense of the "real" Barbados.

We hired a cab right outside the port "mall" and he took us to Crane Beach. The ride is lovely and you can ask your driver anything you want to know about Barbados - he/she will be more than happy to tell you.

There is a beautiful resort at Crane Beach (which charges $25 per person to get in - but that $$$ is applied to your lunch the stunning restaurant). You have to walk down to the beach itself - lots of stairs, sometimes a little steep. Once there, you rent a chaise and just chill out. The beach can only accomodate <100 people (or so it seemed).

The guys on the beach have beer, soda and water for purchase.

Enjoy the water - stunning! Then go for lunch and enjoy a great bottle of wine. Before you know it you have to head back to the ship and, once there, you really feel like you've take a trip within a trip.

A true delight! ENJOY!

If it didn't cost so much to get there (I know the bus is an alternative, but I wounder how well it would truly work) I would do this one for sure. Thanks, Alan.

I don't know about the Heatwave but I took the Thriller tour just this past week and it did start at a marina very close to the boatyard. Our las stop on the tour was the boatyard. He dropped us off on the beach a little bit down from the Boatyard itself and it was very nice. You could opt to stay at the boatyard instead of returning back to the marina at the end of the tour.

I don't know about the Heatwave but I took the Thriller tour just this past week and it did start at a marina very close to the boatyard. Our las stop on the tour was the boatyard. He dropped us off on the beach a little bit down from the Boatyard itself and it was very nice. You could opt to stay at the boatyard instead of returning back to the marina at the end of the tour.
So, if you take the Thriller, the boatyard is included in the price? or how did that work? Alan B.

Let me clarify, our beach stop was at the same beach as the location of the "Boatyard". The beach itself is public. If you want to use the Boatyard's facilities and water toys and chairs and umbrella, you'll have to pay for that yourself. I've heard it's $12. For us, it was unnecessary because we didn't need chairs and our kids were too small to play on the water toys. We swam a little bit down from the Boatyard area so it was very quiet. The sand is very soft and water very clear blue...Beautiful!

Let me clarify, our beach stop was at the same beach as the location of the "Boatyard". The beach itself is public. If you want to use the Boatyard's facilities and water toys and chairs and umbrella, you'll have to pay for that yourself. I've heard it's $12. For us, it was unnecessary because we didn't need chairs and our kids were too small to play on the water toys. We swam a little bit down from the Boatyard area so it was very quiet. The sand is very soft and water very clear blue...Beautiful!
Ok, I had read the beaches were all public and free, but I had kind of envisioned the Boatyard as fenced off or something. I really don't have a need for climbing an iceberg and such, although a chair and umbrella could be handy. Are they available there a la carte I guess you would say, or from someone on a nearby stretch of sand?

• 2 weeks later...
CRUZINFREAK, I have been a lttle unclear in my readings about something on the heatwave and maybbe you can help me. Doesn't it leave from the boatyyard or right next to it? I was thinking the same people owned it. If so, if you do the Heatwave, are you given access without any extra charge for the boatyard (like I said, it sounds like you are already in it)? Thanks. I may have to email them to get this straight. Also Crane sounds so loveley. Sounds hard to go wrong with any of it.

No problem at all, hope i can help. Heatwave leaves from the dock in Bridgetown. I was told that both Heatwave and The Boatyard were owned by the same company. Not sure if you are given access to the Boatyard because you are on the Heatwave but its worth a question...I will e-mail them and c if I can get anymore info. The Crane is beautiful...but so is much of Barbados that i have seen. And YES it is hard to go wrong with any of it. Sorry it took me so long to respond to your question....was enjoying myself on a cruise!!:D

Thanks, cruzinfreak. Glad you had a good time. I thought they were owned by the same company, so I didn't know if they allowed you to do that after the sailing for no additional charge or not. We seem to be leaning toward the bus ride to Crane, then exploring more by bus at the moment, but still are pondering. Alan.

Hey Alan,

Got a reply from the Boatyard and they confirmed that if you are on the Heatwave and do wish to return to the Boatyard beach instead of the ship - that there will be no extra charge for entry. However you will have to take a taxi back to the ship on your own. Taxi fare is $3.00. They said they have taxis available around there so to find one is not difficult. If you decide on the bus for Crane beach, just check at the bus terminal or somewhere to see what times the buses run. Look forward to seeing your review when u return!! :)

Hey Alan,

Got a reply from the Boatyard and they confirmed that if you are on the Heatwave and do wish to return to the Boatyard beach instead of the ship - that there will be no extra charge for entry. However you will have to take a taxi back to the ship on your own. Taxi fare is $3.00. They said they have taxis available around there so to find one is not difficult. If you decide on the bus for Crane beach, just check at the bus terminal or somewhere to see what times the buses run. Look forward to seeing your review when u return!! :)

Thanks for the info. We leave for the trip in the morning. Still leaning toward Cranes beach by bus at the moment. Alan.

Archived