Ferry from Cozumel?

My SIL would like to explore the ruins at Tulum on our Western Caribbean cruise next Feb. I was a little worried since some time ago there were a lot of comments about the ferry, that makes almost everyone sea sick, that they gave our green barf bags, and that the diesel smell was overwheming. I haven't seen any of these comments recently and though/hoped that these problems had been corrected.

It thought about posting on the Ports of Call boards, but this board is much more active.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Dee

Our experience on the ferry several years ago was fine. We sat outside and had a fine trip. I actually used it as my own personal test to see if I would be OK on a cruise--now here I am 8 cruises later. My parents, however, had a different experience. The ferry they took didn't have an outside sitting area and the a/c didn't work. Mom got ill. I guess it is kinda luck of the draw as to which ferry you get, and how much you can take.

My DH and I did our excursion to Tulum totally on our own - it was great, just hotter than...

There are two major lines of ferries from Cozumel to Playa - we took the "yellow" ferry. Our ride over was in a very nice boat, clean, modern, no odor, well air conditioned. Our ride back was on a different model boat, maybe a little less comfortable (the seats down below weren't upholstered, for instance) , but still well air conditioned, the most important point! The round trip tickets per person were $18.00 US. I've never had any problem with motion sickness, but there is considerable motion on these boats, so if you're prone to sea sickness, I'd say to take your meds.

If you want all the details on touring Tulum on your own, see my response to a recent post called "Info Please" in the Cozumel page under Ports of Call.

Thanks for the information on the ferry. I think we will see the ruins. I have been to Chichenitza (sp?) so Tulum is not important to me. But my SIL really wants to see them and DH would like to also.

I read your review on doing them on your own, Dave. Will have to think about it. I really hate the ships tours and try to avoid them when possible. Maybe we can try to get the yellow ferry.

Dee

Archived