Sailing a particular ship more then once. Is the thrill gone?

Seayalater

We were on the Grand twice in 14 months. When we got on the ship the second time, we liked that it felt familiar. But we also noticed a lot of things about the ship that we hadn't really seen the first time. We also speint time doing some of the things that we missed the first time around. After the first cruise I realized how much I didn't do/see and I looked forward to going back to the same ship to "complete" the experience. We were on the Island a few months ago and now i am trying to get back on that ship too.

Some ships I like better than others, but my prime concern when booking is itinerary.

For several years, Royal Princess has been on the "Exotic Adventures", and those fit my interests, so have been on the Royal 4 times.

Prior to the Royal, the old Pacific Princess was on those - and we were on her three times.

One advantage of going back to the same ship, I think, is that you are familiar with the deck plan, and can make a bee-line for your favorite people watching spot.

For us it's a few things. One, we simply like cruising, being at sea, on a ship, so the ship is the destination. We've sailed the Dawn twice (three times if you count the back to back) and the Sea once (the Dawn's sister ship) and the Coral once and will be sailing on the Dawn again in April. Given a choice between similar length cruises in roughly the same place - Caribbean say(whether Eastern, Western, or Southern) - I'd cruise again on the Dawn (or any of the Sun classes) before cruising on the Coral, even if it meant repeating an itinerary.

Why, because we like the lay-out of that class and like the balcony cabins. Even though the category cabin we had on the Coral had a larger balcony, we preferred the small, more intimate, completely covered balconies of the Sun class.

No two cruises have ever felt the same. I am always excited even going aboard the same ship, because there is always something new to discover and new people to meet, whether it is new wait staff, new dinner partners, new cruise director, or an unexplored area of the ship. I have yet to go to afternoon tea, which maybe we'll do on our future cruise. We've also never made it to all the shows or even to the disco. We don't try and "do" everything every cruise, other than lounge by and in the aft pool ;).

Plus, after also taking two cruises on other lines, we feel most comfortable on Princess. The pace, ambiance, level of formality, level of service, fit perfectly with us.

It was only by accident. I booked two cruises and did not know it was the same ship. One was Panamal Canal the other astern Carb Medley. Both were on the Dawn Princess. I did the Western on the Navigator of the Seas and I'm doing the Southern on the Maasdam. I'm not sure which ship or line I'm going to do Hawaii on just yet.

wow, thanks for your imput.

Princess sure has a loyal clientele. I wish I had the money to go every few months!

I am suffering really bad GMBOB (Get Me Back On the Boat)blues and it's only been 10 days since we disembarked.

Hubby says "let's pay for this cruise first before you book another".....

:o)

For my family and I, we went on the Victory 2 years in a row for Christmas. It was really nice knowing where everything was, how late such and such was open, etc. Victory was home for us. I have a feeling I could be calling the Caribbean Princess home now. For us it really isn't about switching up itineraries and seeing the world, yet. Notice we've only done Caribbean and a pathetic excuse for a cruise on the Ecstasy out of LA. We love the Caribbean and love the ships that go there.

I guess everything I'm saying has already been said, but I really like setting foot on a ship and knowing exactly where everything is. Dad especially likes it because there are some people that, God help them, no matter how hard they try cannot find _____. Dad loves helping them figure it out, and those lost souls really appreciate it too.

For us, the feeling of "home" that we're talking about starts as we get off the plane in Fort Lauderdale or Miami. It's then that we start breathing easy, slow down the pace (as much as you can when you're so excited) and start feeling back to "normal". In fact, the first thing Dad and I said when we got off the plane in Ft. Lauderdale earlier this month was "(sigh) it's so great to be home (bigger sigh)"!

I cannot wait for the next cruise now... December seems so far away!

Well, we did the Pacific Princess twice in about 18 months (probably because it was the only ship we knew about at the time!). Did the SS Norway eight times over the years because I just loved the ship and the same old boring Eastern itinerary. Got great deals the last few years, and sad to see her go. Went on the Zuiderdam twice...not so much about love of the ship, but the prices were great, and was able to get free air due to my habit of "bumping".

Archived