Prescription Medication

Kinkacruiser

Just 3 weeks today and we're on our way to Brisbane and Portside.. yeah :eek: Just thought of another Q. Do you need a letter from your doctor to have prescription meds with you? Is there a drug check on your personal medication as you are asked to carry in your hand luggage or is this purely for convenience reasons? I read that you may not have you luggage delivered to your cabin until 8pm of the embarkation day, so having your meds with you would be a good idea.Thanks for your help.

Hope you all have a sweet day.

Cheers,

Kinka

You should have a letter stating what medication you are taking or at least the prescription. That being said I have never had my medication checked or been questioned about it. Even a friend who has carted boxes and boxes of very strong pain medication overseas (legally, with just reason) has never been pulled up.

The reason it says take in your hand luggage is for the convenience of having it with you, should your bags get lost or delayed being taken to your stateroom.

I've never had a letter from my doctor for medication. (I think it only becomes a problem if you say 10 boxes of the same medication. ) Never had a problem. (my SIL takes heaps of meds but also takes scripts with her when she goes OS).

You should never at any time pack your prescription meds in your luggage and must always have them in your carry on. What would happen if, heaven forbid, your bag got left on the dock or dropped in the river! :eek: It's happened before!!

Cheers,

Chaz:)

Watching Border Security the other week we learned that you should have a declaration about your medication as it is illegal to take PBS funded medications out of the country unless they are for personal use. A letter from your doctor is proof of this should you be stopped by Customs.

Apparently there is a big trade it taking the heavily subsidised medicines off shore and selling them in countries where they don't have the PBS.

And yes it's always a good idea to carry your medication with you in carry on - just in case.

Thanks all for that handy tip. I'll get a print out from my GP (just to cover myself). Why even buying Codral cold & flu tablets these days requires you to provide a driver's licence. Yes I also saw that luggage come off the Star and into the Brisbane R...eek.Makes a lot of sense to carry it with you.

Thanks again,

Kinka

Archived