Mexican Riviera in January

Tadybug

Hi Folks,

We are considering Royal Caribbean cruise to Mexican Riviera on January 7th 2007. Has anyone done this cruise at this time of the year? If so, can you tell me about the weather and if it's a good time to go there. We cruised there once before in the summer, not sure how January weather is.

My husband and I did this several years ago (~7) and the weather was warm. We live in California and it was our first time going on a vacation to a warmer climate in January. It was really nice. I think the ship is pretty old though.

I did a five day last December (12/18 to 12/23) and we only did Cabo and Ensenada. It was 90 in Cabo and in the 80's in Ensenada. The weather was absolutely gorgeous. We were the envy of all with a tan in December. Loved it so much we're doing the 7 days this December.

One caveat. The seas coming home from Ensenada were rough. The sea day was quite hilarious watching everyone sway to and fro. For the first time ever I felt queasy for a little bit. My DD had a blast in the pool as the rocking made waves in the pool. It felt like we were goin up stream with the bow moving up and down. It was, however, great fun in the pool. I don't know if that's typical Dec/Jan or not.

One super thing is that the cruise is during the whale migration to Mexico. My DD saw her first whales in the wild on our cruise last December. The look on her face, the awe she felt, was worth the entire trip. Every trip we now do our own whale watching. Last June we were lucky to see even more off Ensenada.

GO FOR IT!

West coast of Mexico is my favorite cruise. Lots of sealife and almost always good weather. In January there is usually heavy swell coming from Alaska but that is when you see the sealife. If you are prone to motion sickness the Caribbean might be better.

Fair Princess 1994

Regal Princess 1995

Crown Princess 1995

Song of America 1997

Sun Princess 1997

Song of America 1998

Crown Princess 1998

Sea Princess 1999

Rhapsody of the Seas 1999

Ocean Princess 2000

Sea Princess 2000

Rhapsody of the Seas 2001

Radiance of the Seas 2001

Mercury 2001

Sea Princess 2002

Radiance of the Seas 2002

Splendor of the Seas 2003

Mercury 2004

Serenade of the Seas 2005

Grand Princess 2006

Radiance of the Seas 2006

We were on the Vision the third week of January last year. Weather in and out of LA was cool. Weather in Cabo, Mazatlan, and PV was very nice and warm.

As someone mentioned, the times at sea were rougher than in the summer, and the Vision is a smaller ship. We love being rocked to sleep at night and enjoyed the ride. If you can swing it - get a room with a balcony, you won't be dissapointed.

Best part of this cruise is the Vision. Of the cruises we've done, the Vision stands out. It is an older, smaller ship - but the crew is the best. You'll probably see similar sentiments on the board.

If you go, I highly recommend Randi's Happy Horses in Mazatlan. It was a fun and interesting day.

We went on Celebrity Mercury last January. Weather out of San Diego was nice to us from Wisconsin-in the 60"s. Cabo and Mazatlan warm-70's and 80's but the water was cool. Alcalpulco, Ixtapa and Peurto Vallarta were all in the 80's and the water warm enough to swim. Not as warm as Carribean at that time of year but still nice. Sure beats winter!

We did this cruise in February of this year, and really loved it! The Vision is a wonderful ship and is in very good condition. You would not know that she is 8 years old!

The weather on the sea days was windy and pretty cool. However, we were plenty toasty on the port days. The previous posts regarding the whales (and dolphins, too) are right on! Standing at the railing of the ship at any time was a great opportunity to spot a whale breaching or dophins playing!

Good luck with your cruise planning!

Archived