Sailing on Celebration with Diabetes

loppster

I am sailing on the Celebration in a few weeks and I have been put on a new medication that has to be refrigerated. I just called customer service and they do not have refrigerators to put in the room for this. My options for this are...leave my medication at the pursers desk, room service, or keep it in the ice bucket in the room.

Has anyone here sailed on the Celebration or another ship with the same situation? How did you handle it?

I am sailing on the Celebration in a few weeks and I have been put on a new medication that has to be refrigerated. I just called customer service and they do not have refrigerators to put in the room for this. My options for this are...leave my medication at the pursers desk, room service, or keep it in the ice bucket in the room.

Has anyone here sailed on the Celebration or another ship with the same situation? How did you handle it?

In '05, my wife, & I sailed on Valor, and had the same situation. We were initailly told by CCL that we'd need to use the ice bucket (?). When we got on board, we tried using the ice bucket without sucess, then related our situation to our room steward and she made sure the mini-fridge (bar) was unlocked during our cruise. BTW, the ice bucket experiment just froze her Byeta.

We sailed the Celebration in 2000 and hubby just kept it at the purser's desk. We were sailing with our friends and he was diabetic too and they were on the same injection schedule, so off they would go together to get their meds. DH has used the ice bucket in the past BUT you have to be careful that the steward doesn't accidently throw out the insulin bottle when they refresh the bucket :eek: We just sailed Empress of the Seas and they brought us a dorm fridge...maybe Carnival does the same now.

ALH - We just found one of those for $30 at Walmart. This also gives me something to keep my soft drinks and beer cold in as well. Thanks!

Corsair - Byetta is the same medication I am on.

Thanks for all of your suggestions and comments.

ALH - We just found one of those for $30 at Walmart. This also gives me something to keep my soft drinks and beer cold in as well. Thanks!

Corsair - Byetta is the same medication I am on.

Thanks for all of your suggestions and comments.

I came in late on this one. I have something similar that came from Sam's. Does this unit come with a household powerpack?

One caution is that, given time, items inside can freeze. These appliances will typically cool to 40 degrees below room temperature. If you keep the room at 70 degrees the contents of the cooler could get down to 30 degrees. Also, on our recent cruise on the Miracle, an announcement was made during the Muster drill about certain appliances being banned and I think about any appliances used while the cabin was vacant. Our steward unplugged my camera charger. Make sure your steward understands.

I came in late on this one. I have something similar that came from Sam's. Does this unit come with a household powerpack?

One caution is that, given time, items inside can freeze. These appliances will typically cool to 40 degrees below room temperature. If you keep the room at 70 degrees the contents of the cooler could get down to 30 degrees. Also, on our recent cruise on the Miracle, an announcement was made during the Muster drill about certain appliances being banned and I think about any appliances used while the cabin was vacant. Our steward unplugged my camera charger. Make sure your steward understands.

Thanks for the caution on this. I am testing this "fridge" at home to see how cold it will get. Also, I will make sure and let the steward know about my little appliance.

I also recommend calling the special needs dept. as well. We just spoke with someone in that dept yesterday (again) regarding our cruise later on the month. BTW... I *love* saying "this month!" :D Anyway, the dept. will let your stewart know that you need a sharps container for your cruise. My DH and I are on Enbrel, which is an injection you take once a week, so we will use the container while on board. They told us that we could store any meds that we did not feel safe leaving in the room (even in the safe) with either the purser's office, room service or the doctor's office while on the ship.

I hope you have luck with the electric cooler you bought! Thank goodness the Conquest has refridgerators! BTW... we were on the Celebration a few years ago before it left Galveston and I really loved that ship. I too was sad to see it leave Texas. Take care of her for me, ok?

Have fun! There is something really special about that ship!

Cindy (counting down the days until we are in Heaven on the 'Quest!)

~ please ignore spelling... I'm dyslexic ~

Archived