Lunch at the Todd English

paulista1950

My understanding was that the lunch and dinner menus and food were comparable, although I have only ate there once some time ago.

We had lunch at Todd English when on board a couple of years back but were not that impressed.

I guess it depends on your experience in your main restaurant I guess. If you love dinner in your allocated restaurant, just keep eating there. If you feel it could be better, give Todd English a go. They service is excellent but we felt the cooking could have been better (we even had to send a dish back!).

I have photos of QM2 food including Todd English at http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/greatmindspace/qm2_apr04/qm2food.htm

transat_jon, thanks for the pictures. I was planning on trying the Chef's Gallery, but there is not much mention of it on any of the posts (unlike Todd English, which gets mentioned frequently). What is so special about it, unlike the free alternatives?

I had dinner at Tood English, so I can not comment on the lunch menu, but I thought dinner was well worth the supplement. Todd English is located on the 8th deck, starboard side, in the stern of the ship. It is a small, intimate dinning room that I would guess may sit 200 The room is very well decorated. I found that making reservations for dinner very easy, and had many options of time and day.

Hi,

When we were on the QM2 recently, the menu for Todd English remained the same for the entire cruise, with no variation at lunch-time.

We decided to go there one evening and thought that although the food was good (with one exception), it was not worth the extra money. We seemed to have paid for the fancy plates and not really much else. OK so the kitchen is smaller and thus the food is not so mass produced as in Britannia, but having been amazed at the quality of the food in Britannia, were had expected something really special in Todd English, and left feeling let down.

The one major let down was the cheese board, which two of our party of six chose. The cheeses on offer were pretty uninspiring to say the least, and no 'blue' cheese was available at all, even when asked, although a portion of goats cheese was procured from somewhere!

If you want a change of menu, with some nice bread (although possibly similar to that in the Grills) and don't mind spending the extra money, then go for it. Check the menu before booking to ensure that there are things you would like. When in port, the Todd English was very quiet lunch-times, whilst on days at sea, it was understandably busier.

As the menu is the same, lunch has to be better value at $20-00 each instead of $30-00 for dinner.

Phileas

Who after the recent cruise, like the pheasants in our back garden, is looking rather plump, having taken full advantage of Britannia, Kings Court, Board Walk Cafe, and of course afternoon tea in the Queens Room, to name but a few!;)

I had cruised on the QM2 before to the Caribean and although I liked the Britannia very much I never had lunch there (3 lunchs ashore, 1 at the pub e twice at King's Court).

This time I'M planning to lunch there at least twice, repeat the Golden Lion, which I loved and give Todd English a try.

I was on the QM2 Sept cruise last month and had lunch at Todd English. We went down to book immediately upon boarding to get a spot. The lunch was good. We had crab cake appetizer and lobster salad for lunch, followed by Tiramisu coffee ice cream/ cake dessert. Although delicious, I must agree that my meals in the Princess Grill/ Britannia were very comparable. So, if you want to spend the extra $20. for the experience you wont be dissapointed, however I myself actually preferred the main dining room with a more extensive lunch menu. Actually, the room service food is also as good as the main dining room food and served elegantly, but the menu options are small. The salmon dish from room service was superb.

The chefs galley cost $30 which is not that much, especially since you get wine. From that point of view not bad value!

The downside is the cooking was not that good but this probably something that will be different for every serving.

I have worked at the top end of the catering industry and would have been embarassed to have served what we were given. They managed to make rubbery squid, soggy pancakes and even ruin a good cut of beef.

After the starter we looked at each other and decided just to get through as much of the wine as we could and we ended up having a great laugh with the folk on the table next to us!

Hi,

When we were on the QM2 recently, the menu for Todd English remained the same for the entire cruise, with no variation at lunch-time.

The one major let down was the cheese board, which two of our party of six chose. The cheeses on offer were pretty uninspiring to say the least, and no 'blue' cheese was available at all, even when asked, although a portion of goats cheese was procured from somewhere!

Phileas

Who after the recent cruise, like the pheasants in our back garden, is looking rather plump, having taken full advantage of Britannia, Kings Court, Board Walk Cafe, and of course afternoon tea in the Queens Room, to name but a few!;)

Phileas, I am rather surprised at the lack of a Blue cheese. Although I am not a blue cheese lover, I am a cheese lover. It got to the point on our 12 day Panama in January where our waiter brought the cheese plate with desert whether I ordered it or not. I am pretty sure there was one blue cheese each night. Hard to believe TE couldn't manage to come up with a piece! It's not like they have to send out for it!

BTW, We had baby skunk on the deck last week. One came right up to me- too young to be very afraid. He and his brother were "tiffing" over the cat food! (Is that a word? Like having a tiff?) And I am sure that there is simply more of you to love, dear! Just try not to bend over in your garden. I find when I get too roly poly I tend to just fall over! No weeble, I!

Phileas, I am rather surprised at the lack of a Blue cheese. Although I am not a blue cheese lover, I am a cheese lover. It got to the point on our 12 day Panama in January where our waiter brought the cheese plate with desert whether I ordered it or not. I am pretty sure there was one blue cheese each night. Hard to believe TE couldn't manage to come up with a piece! It's not like they have to send out for it!

BTW, We had baby skunk on the deck last week. One came right up to me- too young to be very afraid. He and his brother were "tiffing" over the cat food! (Is that a word? Like having a tiff?) And I am sure that there is simply more of you to love, dear! Just try not to bend over in your garden. I find when I get too roly poly I tend to just fall over! No weeble, I!

Hi Karie,

We were not surprised at the lack of blue cheese, we were absolutely amazed! All we could think of is that perhaps the ship's rats had eaten it all!!!

Phileas,

Who for a moment I thought that the baby skunk to which you referred was on-board the QM2! It could have had a party with the rats!:eek:

PS. Just in case anyone takes it all too seriously, the rats are of the imaginary type in this case. I don't want to be accused of scaremongering! I can just imagine the tabloid headlines!!

Archived