Rental Car Drop Off at Princess Terminal in FLL

bamaman

Unless it has changed since January, no shuttle service was provided by any rental agency from the airport to the pier. We picked up our Hertz rental car at the airport the day prior to sailing but had to return it to another Hertz location (Sunrise Blvd.) for free shuttle transportation to Port Everglades. Hertz shuttles ran every 10-15 minutes and dropped passengers at the airport before going to the cruise terminal. Be sure to check with your rental car agency.

Chris

Avis must have changed their policy. A year and a half ago, they refused to take us to the pier and we had to take a taxi from the airport to the pier after dropping off the car. I wrote and complained about it. Perhaps my complaint bore fruit.

Still and all, if you are planning to use Avis, call the rental agency at the airport in FLL and make sure they are still doing it.

Roberta

Avis must have changed their policy. A year and a half ago, they refused to take us to the pier and we had to take a taxi from the airport to the pier after dropping off the car. I wrote and complained about it. Perhaps my complaint bore fruit. Roberta

In January of this year, none of the rental agencies at the airport were shuttling cruise passengers to Port Everglades. If we had returned the car to Hertz at the airport, we would have had to take a taxi to the pier. From our hotel, it was easier for us to return the vehicle to an alternate Hertz location and ride the shuttle to the pier.

Unless security practices have been eased at FLL, I suspect that the rental agencies aren't offering shuttle service from airport to pier.

Chris

I just used Buget, they drop-off & pickup at Port Evgerglades Cruise Pier & no drop off charges if rented from a different location. cruzinchris is correct no airport dropoffs for cruise pier.

QUAY SHOPPING PLAZA

1515 SE 17TH STREET CAUSEWAY

FT.LAUDERDALE, FL 33316 US

hoursSun 9:00 AM - 2:00 PM;

Mon - Fri 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM;

Sat 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM

phone 954-761-7231

Avis will sometimes shuttle you from the airport to the pier but there is no way to tell in advanced as it depends on how busy they are, if they extra employees who are not busy at the time, etc. I wouldn't count on it but the Princess buses and/or taxis can be used, as the distance is not far, the fee isn't that much.

We flew into PBI the night before and rented from Alamo. Their location is at the airport and the city of Ft. Lauderdale actually runs busses from the car rental terminal at FLL to the cruise terminal. To go home, the Thrifty location on Miami Rd. picked us up and it is very close. Budget also has a close location but said they don't provide a shuttle.

Budget airport would not drop you off at cruise terminal. Budget at Quay Plaza on 27th is the only location that provide a shuttle (small 12 person van) between its location and the terminal. Despite there is a Port location listed on Budget website, it is the same as the Quay Plaza location, same phone number is listed. I just called them and verified that there is really no Pier location. She said their van runs constantly on disembarkation day but the van is small - 12 passenger only - about 1/2 the size of the shuttle used by airport location (before the new rental car center was built) - so expect to wait.

• 3 weeks later...
Budget airport would not drop you off at cruise terminal. Budget at Quay Plaza on 27th is the only location that provide a shuttle (small 12 person van) between its location and the terminal. Despite there is a Port location listed on Budget website, it is the same as the Quay Plaza location, same phone number is listed. I just called them and verified that there is really no Pier location. She said their van runs constantly on disembarkation day but the van is small - 12 passenger only - about 1/2 the size of the shuttle used by airport location (before the new rental car center was built) - so expect to wait.
Used Budget many times never had to wait only 5min max from pier. I highly recommend them

It's fascinating that this issue has come up several times in the last month. And there continues to be disagreement.

FLL has a new car rental center since February of 2006. All the car rental returns have free access to a shuttle bus to Port Everglades. All the major car rental firms are now located there.

Sea Teacher,Thank you so much for that information. In March we'll be combining a visit with my son and his family in WPB and a cruise on CB. There eventually will be 5 adults going. We usually rent a van for our visit and were concerned about bringing it back and getting to the ship. Now, if I understand you correctly, we can rent our van in WPB and return it to the car rental complex at Quay Shopping Plaza. Then we can catch a free shuttle which the complex provides to the pier. It sounds easy enough. Do you suggest calling in advance or are you pretty confident it will work that way?

Thank you for your help. It's much appreciated.

Happy cruising!

Now, if I understand you correctly, we can rent our van in WPB and return it to the car rental complex at Quay Shopping Plaza. Then we can catch a free shuttle which the complex provides to the pier.

I didn't mention anything about the Quay Shopping Plaza.

I said FLL Rental Car Center - as in Fort Lauderdale Airport Rental Car Center (FLL is the symbol for the airport) has a free shuttle.

The airport opened a huge new Rental Car Center on airport property. It's basically a giant parking garage for rental car companies.

That is where you could return your car and catch a free shuttle to Port Everglades cruise terminals.

I know nothing about the Quay Shopping Plaza.

All the car rental returns have free access to a shuttle bus to Port Everglades.

So who runs the shuttle service, each car rental agency? the airport? or do the agencies all pool together to provide the service?

Hate to be a doubter but these days it's hard to believe one could get a nice, free, convient service like this! I'm hoping it's true because we need it in February.

So who runs the shuttle service' date=' each car rental agency? the airport? or do the agencies all pool together to provide the service?

Hate to be a doubter but these days it's hard to believe one could get a nice, free, convient service like this! I'm hoping it's true because we need it in February.[/quote']

Being a doubter about something new is no crime.

The service (and the airport) are run by Broward County. I bet the fees the rental car agencies pay to have space in the rental garage help pay for this service. And take note: it's a small shuttle bus that runs maybe twice an hour. There is nothing luxurious or fast about it. But it was certainly free.

In a worst case: if the free shuttle has been canceled by the time you get to Ft Lauderdale, it's still only a $15 taxi ride to the cruise terminal from the airport.

So who runs the shuttle service' date=' each car rental agency? the airport? or do the agencies all pool together to provide the service?

Hate to be a doubter but these days it's hard to believe one could get a nice, free, convient service like this! I'm hoping it's true because we need it in February.[/quote']

The car rental agencies all use a common bus system. When dropping off your vehicle at FLL rental facility, go outside and look for the bus to the cruise terminal. The last time I used this service, the bus picked up at stop #7 at the rental facility.

As I will be using the service tomorrow, I will be happy to report back with a definitive answer.

Archived