HairBraiding

Never been to the Bahamas...but In Mexico most charge either $1 a braid (which can get expensive) unless you just want a few and then some have pictures of styles with a price.

My cousin had a real neat style done with braids that swirled on her scalp (if that makes sence) and paid $20 for about 15 braids...I just had two strands braided with beads added and paid like $3. I thought the price were very reasonable!

Jessica

Personally, I think the hairbraiding in the islands is a rip off. :mad: I know plenty of hair braiders who will braid like this----- http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:PYPGTzgesEBwkM:http://www.hairweb.de/images-stars/alicia-keys.jpg---- for about 10 to 15 dollars, including beads. But I guess being on vacation makes people pay more for things they wouldn't normally even do at home.

Heck, if I hadn't had my hair braided since I was practically born, I would probably be going for it too! Just don't have short hair. A lady had her "hair braided and it was about 4 inches long. I was so embaressed for her. It was sad.:(

My hair is very short, but that didn't keep them from wanting to braid it. We actually did this with our kids - ended up wasting

at least 2 hours of our on shore time. A better idea (and one that is sure not to include creepy crawlies on the combs if you know what I mean), is to have your favorite hair stylist at home braid the hair before you leave - giving you the island feeling early! This way you can discuss what look you are aiming for and get the information on how to care for them ahead of time.

My son had his done in June in Barbados. His hair was not particularly long at the time; it was to the bottom of his ears and he had his whole head done. After some negotiating we paid $50. It was fun for the cruise and when we got back on board all week long he got comments. As soon as we got back he took the braids out and decided then to get a military cut. Talk about going from one extreme to the other!:)

I just get tired of being harassed and stopped evey 2 seconds and aske dif Iwant myhiar braided. One year myhiar was cut bery short-no more then 2 inches long anywhere on my head but I was still harrassed.

One thing Iliked about Disney is they had a hair braider on ship with up front prices-she braided my daughter's hair by the pool on the lido. My daughter had to get an appointment for this also.

My daughter's hair is long. She left the back down and had the front and sides of her hair braided-it looked very nice and cost $16-this included the beads.

Sorry ..but...Worry about lice..geez do you see the ones in Mexico, they do not disenfect and use the same combs...ick...you can get it done on the ship...or a resort and things are clean. Lice are a heck of a thing to take home...yuck:eek:

As far as I know the only ship that offered it was Disney. I have never seen this offered on any other line. But like you, I felt better about my duaghter having it done there.

Also to the person who thinks $2 per braid is expensive-my daughter has spent $60 plus to have her hair put up that lasted one night (for prom) and then it had fallen down by the next day. She had the front and sides of her hair braided back for $16-it took 8 braids- and she left her hair like this for almost a month. I feel that is a pretty inexpenisve hairdo myself.

Also to the person who thinks $2 per braid is expensive-my daughter has spent $60 plus to have her hair put up that lasted one night (for prom) and then it had fallen down by the next day. She had the front and sides of her hair braided back for $16-it took 8 braids- and she left her hair like this for almost a month. I feel that is a pretty inexpenisve hairdo myself.

The thing is--if they quote you $2 a braid, that sounds inexpensive. Unless you specify how many braids you want, the people on the beach will cram as many braids as humanly possible on your head and it can get pricey. You definitely need to discuss it upfront. I'm sure the girl on the ship was less likely to do this, since she probably has at least some kind of salary and access to a whole lot more customers.

When on The Disney private island, my girls wanted to get braids. It was their $$. Once they found out the price, I think $2.00 per, they decided on 12 each. There was a kid there getting corn rows and braids, $145.00. Now being from Canada that's close to $200.00, OMG:eek:

Holy s_ _ _, and it only lasts 3 weeks (ish).

Does anyone out there know how much they charge for hairbraiding without taking us for a ride on the price? DH and I are going to the Bahamas on Nov. 13 this year and I was just wondering.
It was about $40 for a "half head" braid for a child onboard the ship, which I suspect was cleaner than having it done on the islands. By "half head", I mean that was the price for braids coming straight back, keeping the hair off the child's face.

Seeing the braid-ladies in the Bahamas was really sad. There were so many of them, and they were all down by the docks when we got off the water taxi. They were all screaming for our attention -- they especially screamed at people like me with several long-haired daughters. They were very pushy, and obviously desperate for the money. I cannot imagine living that way. Very sad.

Archived