best place to stay pre-cruise in Honolulu?

caserko

We cruised out of Oahu last year and flew in the night before ..arrived at 10:00 pm, so all we needed was a place to stay for one night - didn't matter if it was on a beach or wherever....chose the ResortQuest at Executive Center in downtown Honolulu. It was a great choice. It's more a hotel for doing business in downtown Honolulu that a resort location. It's about a 5 min. walk to the pier -- and the freee breakfast on the top floor is in a room with a great view of downtown Honolulu and the dock -- stood up there and watched the Serenade come in from it's Alaska to Hawaii trip.

I think we paid about 150 via an on line booking special... but it was a great room -- suite type room -- Very nice. I'd stay there again Pre-cruise if I didn't want to be on the beach... Oh, yea, it's in a business area so in the morning there are places like book stores, drug stores, McD's, Starbucks etc. to stock up on cruise items...

If you are looking for a budget hotel you could not go past the Royal Grove. Check out www.tripadvisor.com for more reviews. It is in a superb location one block away from the Duke Statue. From our balcony we could see Waikiki Beach, a two minute walk. We had two rooms, one with a comfortable queen bed, t.v. balcony and bathroom off. The other room had two single beds, huge refrigerator, kitchenette and another door onto the balcony. It was airconditioned and had a large fan. It is not a modern hotel by any means but it was clean, comfortable, the staff were excellent, it had a tiny swimming pool and two small convenience stores one next door and one across the road. It was a 3 min walk to International Market Place and a 1 min walk to THe Bus Stop. The best bit was at the end when we paid the bill $267 for three nights. www.royalgrovehotel.com and look for the cat 2 rooms. If you ask the front desk they can put you on to a great little guy who can organise tours, dinners etc he is a Korean and works from the lobby of a hotel just around the corner.

As far as Condos go, Turtle Bay Estates is in an excellent location if you want to see the PCC and a beatiful, secluded area. However, reviews vary as widely as the condos - so you would need to do your homework. On Yahoo they receive top marks but on tripadvisor there are 15 excellent reviews and 4 - 5 really bad reviews. Hmmm. Good news is they have pictures on the site now and you can avoid the bad ones.

There is some good condos in Honolulu as well, I think Castle Waikiki Shores. If you are staying longer than 3 nights I have a contact that may be able to get you a condo at the HGVC for $150/nt (low season).

Good luck with everything

As far as Condos go, Turtle Bay Estates is in an excellent location if you want to see the PCC and a beatiful, secluded area. However, reviews vary as widely as the condos - so you would need to do your homework. On Yahoo they receive top marks but on tripadvisor there are 15 excellent reviews and 4 - 5 really bad reviews. Hmmm. Good news is they have pictures on the site now and you can avoid the bad ones.

There is some good condos in Honolulu as well, I think Castle Waikiki Shores. If you are staying longer than 3 nights I have a contact that may be able to get you a condo at the HGVC for $150/nt (low season).

Good luck with everything

My wife and I will be on POH 9/24/07, would you be able to get HGVC with an oceanview during that time for $150 night? Were looking at staying a week before the cruise.

Archived