Door Decorating

hkolln

[quote name='hkolln']I have photos of our cabin door on our Feb cruise here:
[url]http://www.daveandhelen.net/VOS.htm[/url]

Just go to the cabin photos link.[/QUOTE]

Totally OT, but Helen, would you mind e-mailing me about your web site?
I want build one and I like the layout of yours. TIA
[email]AIMS312@YAHOO.COM[/email]

We cruise at Christmas alot, and I always bring decorations to do the door, last year we brought battery operated Christmas lights and a wreath made out of jingle bells all our neighbors loved the festive look.

• 4 weeks later...
Last December (on the Conquest), we wrapped the entire door in Christmas wrapping paper, complete with a huge ribbon and bow, and a small wreath. Then we hung some smaller garland decorations on the "mailbox" thing next to the door. It was the only decorated door we saw. We loved overhearing conversations in the elevators and hallways about the "christmas door." The only thing that would have made it better would have been lights.

[quote name='kenandlaura06']Do RCCL have magnetic doors???[/QUOTE]

Explorer & Navigator both have magnetic doors, not sure about the whole line.

I would also like to know (as a previous person already asked) if the doors on Summit are metal. I would like to decorate our door as well.

Thanks for any info!

[quote name='tinabc']I have never seen a door decorated on a Celebrity ship, ever. I think It is discouraged. The doors are beautiful without any decorations.[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm....does anyone have a picture of the doors on Celebrity (Summit)? I wouldn't want to do anything against the rules, but I know that I don't consider RCCL's doors to be beautiful. Ok looking but not beautiful.

[quote name='tinabc']Nikki, I don't think that you would be breaking any rules by decorating the door of your cabin. It just isn't a practice they do on Celebrity.Have fun on your cruise!Tina[/QUOTE]

perhaps I'll forgo the door decorations but I'm keeping my cute little cruise ship lights for the balcony, some may say tacky, but I think it's adorable.

[quote name='TechKnowBabble']some may say tacky, but I think it's adorable.[/QUOTE]

You are absolutely right......we all have different opinions.

Some people put pink plastic flamingos or ceramic yard art in front of their homes. Some people have cars on cinder blocks. They think it's cool. Some of their neighbors may not.

I guess, on board, it depends on the cruise line and the itinerary. If you are going on a more "party" line, or a "party" itinerary (i.e., Carnival thru the Carib or Mexico), and such a jovial atmosphere abounds, then maybe door decorations or balcony lights are the normal.

Conversely, if you were on a Silversea cruise, or on the QE2, or on the QM2 for a World Cruise, I doubt that you would see such "fun" things.

Just IMHO.

[quote name='kevinsac']You are absolutely right......we all have different opinions.

Some people put pink plastic flamingos or ceramic yard art in front of their homes. Some people have cars on cinder blocks. They think it's cool. Some of their neighbors may not.

I guess, on board, it depends on the cruise line and the itinerary. If you are going on a more "party" line, or a "party" itinerary (i.e., Carnival thru the Carib or Mexico), and such a jovial atmosphere abounds, then maybe door decorations or balcony lights are the normal.

Conversely, if you were on a Silversea cruise, or on the QE2, or on the QM2 for a World Cruise, I doubt that you would see such "fun" things.

Just IMHO.[/QUOTE]

Thanks now I have a mental image of a car on cinder blocks on a BALCONY. I can't stop laughing

:)

[quote name='TechKnowBabble']Thanks now I have a mental image of a car on cinder blocks on a BALCONY. I can't stop laughing

:)[/QUOTE] OH MY! the look on your poor cabin stewards face when he see's that one! LOL!

[quote name='kevinsac']You are absolutely right......we all have different opinions.

Just IMHO.[/QUOTE]

There was this house close to where a friend of mine lived, all of the homes there were rowhouses, VERY small fenced in yard. Every Christmas they would FILL the yard with those plastic lit Christmas statues (santa, reindeer, snowmen, wise men, etc, etc.) It was the most horrendous thing you've ever seen. Perhaps one or two would have been ok (personally I think those plastic statues are the ugliest things I've ever seen) but you couldn't even walk through their yard because of them, and I guess they thought they were really outdoing everyone in the neighborhood.

You all have inspired me. I am cruising with 3 cabins of Girl Scouts and as a surprise I plan on making a magnetis paper decoration with a joke of the day for each morning if the cruise.

I of course will not list any names or pictures as this is unsafe.

I would love to leave each room a little gift each morning but I can't seem to come up with any in expensive but fun ideas. Put your thinking caps on cruise critics and help me with some gift ideas for 17 year old girls. We leave in 12 days and my brain is fried.:)

Thanks for any help

• 3 weeks later...
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=blue]Thanks to all the CC's that shared their fun ideas for Door Decorations. We will be sailing on the Oosterdam in October, doing the Mexican Riviera Cruise. We have five S suites all group together so I thought it would be fun to have some kind of Door Decoration. After reading some of the not so positive posts regarding Door Decorations and the fact we are on the Concierge Level I tried to come up with something that would not offend too many other passengers. I used the suggestions of this board and purchased magnet copy paper first at Stapers 4 sheets for $15.00 and then at Walmart for 5 sheets for $8.00. Using pictures I had taken of our friends and their pets I put together these Door Signs. Each party has their own sign with their pictures. [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=blue]To give you a better idea of what the door decorations look like I'm posting one other to show how they are individual for each couple. I guess that I've spent so much time on this I wanted to share with those that have been such a great help. Shirley[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=blue]I hope I'm not offending anyone, but as I said we have 5 suites and I thought it would be fun to share each of the door signs with you. I haven't figured out how to post all of them on one posts so here goes another one. Shirley[/color][/size][/font]

:o [size=3][color=blue][font=Comic Sans MS]Ok, this is it! I tried to take something that applied to each person and included it in the picture (no I'm not a ballet dancer, but I did like her body) The astronauts are pilots in real life, the handsome one with the flowers is also but I ran out of astronaut bodies. The "[/font][/color][/size]
[size=3][color=blue][font=Comic Sans MS]flower Man's" beautiful wife is just that, "Beautiful". The glasses in front of the "Wandering Wino", my DH says it for itself. And our "Cowboys" are dressed like that because it is their idea that we go horse back riding with Randy's Happy Horses on the cruise. Well I've taken up enough of your time, hope you find these signs interesting and if you really like them, please feel free to copy them with your own pictures, I know some of the best work that I've done has been copied. Happy Cruising. Shirley[/font][/color][/size]

I don't see where anyone would be offended, I most certainly am not. I think you did a great job! I can see that you put a lot of hard work in your pictures and I know everyone will enjoy them. You might want to take a roll of poster tape in case the magnet paper doesn't stay on the doors. The doors on the Carnival Triumph are metal, but not enough so that a magnet would stick to it. The surrounding frame was heavier metal so that business sized magnet cards stuck on and stayed (the frame is only a couple of inches wide). Have a great cruise!!

[quote name='montekat']I don't see where anyone would be offended, I most certainly am not. I think you did a great job! I can see that you put a lot of hard work in your pictures and I know everyone will enjoy them. You might want to take a roll of poster tape in case the magnet paper doesn't stay on the doors. The doors on the Carnival Triumph are metal, but not enough so that a magnet would stick to it. The surrounding frame was heavier metal so that business sized magnet cards stuck on and stayed (the frame is only a couple of inches wide). Have a great cruise!![/QUOTE]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=blue]Thanks so much for the great suggestion, I was a little concerned about the doors, this way I will have a back up. I've already put poster tape on my "Not to Forget List". Shirley[/color][/size][/font]

Great Job Shirley!
I always decorate my door on a cruise. It makes it so much easier to locate the cabin. Even on Celebrity we had a group of three cabins for my Mom's 70th birthday and I created a poster for each door. I always have received positive comments. It may not be for everyone, but I think the long rows of cabin doors are pretty nondescript, even on Celebrity. They could use all the help they can get!

Now I am getting excited about my upcoming October cruise on the Oosterdam. I didn't know you could buy magnetic paper. What a great idea! I will definitely look for it.

Thanks for sharing your pictures. I will have to stroll onto your deck to get an upclose look at them since we will be on the same cruise!!

Tim

[quote name='tspinn']Great Job Shirley!
I always decorate my door on a cruise. It makes it so much easier to locate the cabin. Even on Celebrity we had a group of three cabins for my Mom's 70th birthday and I created a poster for each door. I always have received positive comments. It may not be for everyone, but I think the long rows of cabin doors are pretty nondescript, even on Celebrity. They could use all the help they can get!

Now I am getting excited about my upcoming October cruise on the Oosterdam. I didn't know you could buy magnetic paper. What a great idea! I will definitely look for it.

Thanks for sharing your pictures. I will have to stroll onto your deck to get an upclose look at them since we will be on the same cruise!!

Tim[/QUOTE]

[size=3][color=magenta]Hi Tim, we will all be meeting some time during our October Cruise. Check out the roll call for our October 22nd. Oosterdam Mexican Riveria. I think that you have already checked in and hopefully have given info to Janice (Stanford Girl), so we can get an invite to you. [/color][/size]
[size=3][color=magenta]Also Montekat mentioned above the possibility that the magnet paper might not stick to the doors, so I'm going to take her advise and bring along Poster Tape. Haven't located it yet, hope that Micheal's have it or I will try an art supply store in Westminister. See you soon. Shirley[/color][/size]

Archived