Door Decorating

hkolln

[quote name='hkolln']That's what we did...we put a bunch of clipart on like Word, etc...and formatted it to fit on a sheet of paper in our printer. We first printed it on regular paper to see what it looked like. Then we used the magnetic paper and then cut around them. We have fish, cruise ships, a cute cat sitting on a lounge chair, beach balls, palm trees, etc....

We'll just put them up all over cabin door along with our Meet and Mingle sign (Royal Caribbean). I can't wait!![/QUOTE]Helen~ I have spent endless time on the computer looking for clip art to make door decorations. Ended up downloading a virus of all things. EEEK~
Do you still have your cruise clip art on your word program? Would you mind sending it too me? I leave this Saturday, to go on the Explorer on Sunday.
Thanks so much!
Katie

[quote name='Angelmagc2']Helen~ I have spent endless time on the computer looking for clip art to make door decorations. Ended up downloading a virus of all things. EEEK~ Do you still have your cruise clip art on your word program? Would you mind sending it too me? I leave this Saturday, to go on the Explorer on Sunday.
Thanks so much!
Katie[/QUOTE][email="Angelmagc2@aol.com"]Angelmagc2@aol.com[/email]

Hey Everyone, We have a 22 cabin group going on the elation for thanksgiving...since we are from Cajun Country in Louisiana I mad a door deco with that theme. I found art clips at the website at the bottom center of the cajun deco. I also have alot of clip art on my Print Shop program...that is where I got the ships from. you can see the door deco at my picturetrail acct. [url]www.picturetrail.com/cgdaigle[/url] look at the cruise folder to see two of my door decos and tell me what you think Thanks
Chris Daigle
Crazy Cajun Cruisers Elation Thanksgiving week

[quote name='curly4dana']i always put up a sign on the door when we cruise. i have printshop on my computer and i made signs for all of my cc buddies on the last 2 cruises i was on. if you'd like, you can email me, [email="curly4dana@aol.com"]curly4dana@aol.com[/email] and i'll email you a copy of the sign. everyone seemed to love it@

never thought of the posterboard thingy, that's a fun idea...[/QUOTE]
i've finally found this thread!!! i just want to update y'all because i made my flyer on printshop, so unless you have that program on your computer, you will not be able to open it!
please do not email me unless you have printshop...it will not work for you...
also the cc boards have great cc cabin flyers!!! they are really great! really...

thanks ladycajun! i'll have to try that. i tried to upload it to my online server to make a hyperlink, but because it wasn't jpeg. ot gif., i couldn't upload it.
i'll see if that works...if it does, then i'llpost again and let' y'all know...

ok...how do i do that?? i tried and it will not pick up the file. it will not allow me to export it as a jpeg...i even tried to make it a pdf and it wouldn't let me...maybe if i send it to you, you can do it????
let me know, if you would?

open up printshop, go to the file you want, then open it, then click on file, export as, then at the bottom you can change the file type to whatever you want, i use jpeg or tiff and you can change the name of the file if you want I will check when I get home to be sure these steps are exactly right but I am sure they are because I have done this numerous times. you can e-mail me at [email]daiglern@cox-internet.com[/email] if you have any more questions

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=seagreen]just a note to anyone going on the Carnival Triumph. The doors are not metal, magnets will not stick to them!!! The door frames are metal so if you make signs a little wider than a door frame it will work, I made some smal and put them on fluroscent poster boards, cut around them and they were the only ones that stayed.[/color][/size][/font]

• 3 months later...
[quote name='hkolln']They do sell magnetic printer paper. I saw it online. You make the decoration and then print it on this paper and it will stick to the door if it's a metal door! I'm thinking of getting some magnetic paper and trying that![/QUOTE]

[font=Comic Sans MS][color=purple]I thought this was such a great idea! So I bought some magnetic paper at Officemax. I am concerned, though, as the instructions say you can only use an Injet printer. Of course, I have a Laser printer - an HP 1220. Do they just "recommend" not using a laser printer? I'm going to have to have someone else print them for me, huh? WAHHHHH! I wanted to play today![/color][/font]

[quote name='sassystyxfan'][font=Comic Sans MS][color=purple]I thought this was such a great idea! So I bought some magnetic paper at Officemax. I am concerned, though, as the instructions say you can only use an Injet printer. Of course, I have a Laser printer - an HP 1220. Do they just "recommend" not using a laser printer? I'm going to have to have someone else print them for me, huh? WAHHHHH! I wanted to play today![/color][/font][/QUOTE]

My printer IS an inkjet...geez - sometimes I'm such a dork! It works GREAT! I can't wait to go and with my new magnets for our door. :D

• 3 weeks later...
Just came off the Sun and wanted to let you all know that ours were the only door signs I saw on the ship...but they were a big hit based on the comments we heard. My daughter (a graphic designer) designed a logo for our family vacation with a palm tree and the 5 ports in a circle. In the middle was the family name, and underneath were the first names of those in that cabin. Since we had 7 cabins and not necessarily next to each other, it made it easier for us to find each other, and easier for the kids to find their own rooms. The desk gave her scotch tape the first day, and it held all week. It also made a nice souvenir for their scrapbooks when they got home.

This is so exciting! A way to include old and ever-present scrapbooking obsession with my new Alaska cruise obsession. Thanks to everyone for posting your door sign ideas, this is a great way to use some of the scrapbooking supplies I've already started stockpiling for our honeymoon cruise. I love the idea of leaving a place for people to sign!:)

[quote name='daisysu64'][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=seagreen]just a note to anyone going on the Carnival Triumph. The doors are not metal, magnets will not stick to them!!! The door frames are metal so if you make signs a little wider than a door frame it will work, I made some smal and put them on fluroscent poster boards, cut around them and they were the only ones that stayed.[/color][/size][/font][/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info that the doors are not metal. We are doing a small group cruise on the Triumph in June to Canada. I want to do something to help people identify their rooms. My thought is a doorknob hanger that is decorated with a cruising theme. Then hanger itself is pretty simple, 3 1/2" by 8" with a hole for the doorknob. I have tried a few with colored cardstock and then laminated them. I think they look fairly attractive and would help people find their rooms more easily. What do you think?

We just got back from the Voyager of the Seas today in fact and our door was the only one with magnets all over it. All during the cruise the magnets moved! It was so much fun!!! At the end we only had one magnet left. We just kept moving them up and down the hallway. It was a total hit!

I am putting together a page online and when I do I'll post the link.

Hi all

Thanks to all of you for the idea.

On our South American Cruise in janaury aboard the Infinity I decorated our door using a "Canadian" theme (you guessed it we are from Vancouver :>:>)
I bought a Canada bow at the dollar store and also found a singing hamster dressed as a Mountie. Took these along with wire and masking tape and we had a decorated door. Everyone on our hall loved it - many came and took pictures of it - lots sang & danced along to the song "O Canada". Unfortunately our singing hamster disappeared after about 7 days. the other passengers and crew were more upset than I was.

Only a few doors were decorated and most with only a simple sign made on a computer but I always stopped to read the signs and smiled.

great ideas here, will have to incorporate some of them on our next cruise.

What I did on our last cruise (w. caribbean), was besides the magnetic Cruise Critic door sign I made was I found a palm tree and some frou-frou drink decorations at our local party store. they are the kind that have the crepe paper fold outs (like the hanging bells and things from christmas) and I taped those to our door also, It made it so easy to see our door from down the hallway as we exited the elevators.
our neighboring cabins loved it too, since it marked theirs also...lol

Hey Everyone,

Speaking of door decorations - our little phlock of 400 or so parrotheads take a cruise every year. We hold a door decorating contest.

Here is a sample of our handywork.

[url]http://parrotheadcruise.com/archive/2004/bjones/image134.htm[/url]

We'll have entire hallways filled with decorations - parrots - tiki bars - even the coconut telegraph (phone booth)

Looks like mardi gras has hit.

I know it makes it tougher on the CS to navigate the halls - but they all seem to enjoy us. With our craziness - togas etc it's a change for them.

So anyway - go for it - be creative and besides - if you have one too many yards at Carlos and Charlies it makes it easier to find your cabin.

I was wondering if anyone strings party lights across their balcony railing? We will be in Cozumel from 7 am til midnight and I thought it would be cool to see our strand of lights from off the ship and be able to distinguish our balcony from the others. I hope I can find some cool lights - palm trees, or parrots or pink flamingoes or something.

Archived