New York info needed never been there

LSauls7537

We live in Ft.Laud, never been to New York ! Yeah, there are a few of us. We booked the Victory tonite for Oct 2 and I have some questions.

Which airport is the best to fly into? La Guardia or Newark?

How far time wise is the pier from these airports?

Would you fly in the day before? If so, is there a hotel that provides transportation to the pier? What is the pricing? What is there to see near this hotel?

I appreciate your responses and if I can answer any for you about Miami or Ft.Laud, I will.

Thanks

Linda

Can't answer all your questions on the hotels , although I am in NYC quite frequently I have never saild from NYC on a cruise.

however i say definately fly into LaGuardia instead of Newark much much closer. It would also be a very wise idea to come in at least the day before. Traffic can be miserable plus you can have a great pre cruise dinner at one of the great restaurants in town.

I am sure someone will be posting soon with some hotel info for you.

Have a great cruise

Having grown up just north of the city, I would say yes, fly in to LGA and do it earlier than your cruise date. Why not take a few days to see the "greatest city" in the world. What a pre cruise trip it could be. Just spending a day walking in the city is an experience. You can do Rockefeller Center, museums, Empire State building, ground zero and a whole host of other things plus, some of the best food in the world.

Prices for hotels are all over the place and so is the quality and locations. Just depends on if you are doing any site seeing. Our favorite is the Marriot in Times Square. You can get a cab to the pier from anywhere.

And yes, all that being said, there is no place like Florida (home). Enjoy your cruise!

Even if you take a cab from a mid-town hotel it won't cost you that much. Last month we took a cab from Penn Station (8th Avenue and 33rd St.) to the pier and it was approximately $7. We were dropped off across the street from the pier at 48th St. and 12th Avenue and just walked across the street. There is a light and usually police directing traffic. The ramp to the pier can get backed up and you save time if you can manage your luggage across the street. Good luck. Definitely go in a day early if you can. You can take the trip to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island from Battery Park. By the time you go the Statue will be at least partly open too. :)

I took a cruise last summer from Miami. I am from New York (about 15 minutes from the city). Anyway, I decided to fly down the day before and enjoy Miami. Well, good thing I did because 45 minutes into the flight, the engine was in trouble and we had to turn around and go back to Kennedy Airport. Needless to say, we did not arrive into Miami until 2 a.m. when my flight should have arrived at 2 p.m. A total nightmare, although I was glad to be alive and on the ground. Since that experience, I am now taking my cruise out of New York because I figure if anything happens, I can swim....I can't fly!!!!

To answer your question, yes I would fly into La Guardia and most definately the day before!!!

I grew up in NYC and now live in Connecticut. As an earlier poster said, DEFINATELY get to NY at least a day early -- and fly into LGA not Newark.

Any of the chain hotels in midtown I would suggest. You will have a variety in price ranges: the Marriott Marquis in Times Square would be perfect as would the Hilton on 6th Ave (Ave of Americas) in the 50's. Full service but pricey. You could also look at the less pricey like Marriott Courtyard -- again I would recommend Midtown.

Do yourself a favor and go to the TKTS booth in Times Square. They sell Broadway (and off-Broadway) show tickets at half price for performances the same evening. They won't have all the shows (some are sold out for months) but deciding on the spot is part of the charm. And it's much cheaper than the box office. Ask your concierge when they open. It'sa like 2 or 3 for the evening performances.

In terms of restaurants, any of the big New York steak houses would be fine: The Palm; Palm, Too; Gallaghers; Smith & Wollensky's. The best steak house in New York (in my opinion in the entire world including Tokyo and Buenos Aires) is Peter Luger but it is in Brooklyn right over the Wialliamsburg bridge. Perhap the next time you come to NYC. Also, Ben Benson's is a terrific steak house. It's right off 6th Avenue either on 52nd or 53rd St. Be forewarned, they are all pricey. Dinner for 2 with drinks and tip: expect to pay $125 - $175 depending on the wine.

The restaurants along "Restaurant Row" which is on 46th street west of 9th avenue all cater to the theatre crowd with pris fixe dinner menus. A particularly good Italian restaurant and not very expensive on 46th street is DaRossini's (not sure of the spelling). Their tomato sauce has just the right kick to it.

Some of the best pizza in NYC is John's Pizza. There is one in Times Square on 44th street (either 44 or 45) just west of Broadway. It is in a converted church -- it's pretty cool. Pizza is first rate and of course not very expensive (it's still pizza!). I have only eaten a non-pizza dish there once and it was just okay. But for pizza, tough to beat Johns.

A fun place you might want to check out is Mangia & Bevi (means "Eat & Drink). It's on 9th avenue in the mid -fifties (I think like 56th street). The waiters will break out in song ("It's Amore" is a favorite), the dinners will be handed tambourines; and if it's your birthday, you may find yourself standing on a table leading the restaurant in song. The food is not the best in NY, but it's allot of fun.

Anyway, good luck and enjoy! If you have any other questions e-mail me (ctmak@optonline.net) and I will try to answer.

CTMak

Archived