Tour Hawaii NCL Pride of Aloha Volcano Tours

marcyjane

Can anyone tell me if they did a tour with NCL Pride of Aloha shore excurisons to a Volcano tour that allowed you to see the lava flow?

If so which tour was it.

As well while I'm here how many of the islands are tender ports? Stops will be Hilo, Kona, Kauai, and Maui.

Thanks so much in advance for any information.

Marcy

Kona will be the only place you tender.

On any tour, you are never sure you will get to see lava. It's according to how it is flowing that day and how far or dangerous it would be to get to it. If it's flowing, a helicoptor is the easiest but most expensive way. You will get a good view from the ship about 10:00 PM the night you leave Hilo if the flow is good.

Sorry, forgot to ask while I was posting the first post.

Which island for the best experience for volcano viewing.

Hilo, Volcano National Park, Maui, Haleakala, or Kauai, Kilauea volcano viewing.

Thanks,

Marcy

Sorry, forgot to ask while I was posting the first post.

Which island for the best experience for volcano viewing.

Hilo, Volcano National Park, Maui, Haleakala, or Kauai, Kilauea volcano viewing.

Thanks,

Marcy

I have a question. When you list "Kauai, Kilauea volcano" are you listing them as a "unit" like "Hilo, Volcanos National Park"? If so, I must correct you because Kilauea is one of the primary volcanos (and the active one) at VNP on the Big Island of Hawaii. There's no "volcano" viewing on Kauai (not the type you are asking about). VNP on the Big Island has the only currently active (and viewable) volcanic eruption on the main islands. Haleakala is wonderful, but it is dormant and is not on the same scale as Kilauea. It is well worth seeing, but if you choose only one, choose VNP. (On a land trip where you have more time on Maui, then Haleakala would be a definite sight to see.)

The only lava viewing tour will be from Hilo to VNP. As mentioned, whether you can get to a current flow on any particular day is governed by the flow pattern, safety (there are things like unstable lava benches--you do not want to be on or near one when it breaks), and the fact that the current flow can easily be a 2+ hour hike (one-way) over uneven cooled lava beds. If you go, wear long pants and regular shoes (NO SANDALS) and bring plenty of water.

I hope that helps you plan your days.

beachchick

Thank you all so much for your help. Since I have never been to Hawaii or know anything about the islands or volcanoes that's why I trying to learn all I can before going.

I guess the reason I'm confused is on NCL shore excurisons they list the following.

Hilo-Volcanoes National Park (but doesn't say what)

Maui- Haleakala Crater

Kauai-Kilauea, your best chance to see lava

So like I said not knowing much about Hawaii and the islands I just wanted info for the best volcanoe viewings. Sorry to appear to be so dumb. But I'm here reading and getting advice from all you veteran cruisers to Hawaii that have knowledge of the Islands.

Thanks so much,

Marcy

How shall I put this politely? Oh the heck with it: NCL's literature is wrong, wrong, wrong! Kilauea lava viewing (where the ship cruises by the current flow) will be from the port of Hilo (or Kona if no Hilo stop on that particular cruise). Lava viewing of Kilauea from Kauai would be a 300+ mile cruise to get there! Kauai is the northernmost main island; the southern end of the BI is the southernmost--you get the idea.

BTW, you absolutely did not appear "dumb" in any way. You asked a question based on information the cruise line provided. But, frankly, even if that was not the case, I would not think you were dumb to ask your questions. Don't fret about that. If you've never been to the islands before, it can be quite confusing figuring out what is where. No worries.

Have a great cruise.

beachchick

p.s. Have you considered investing in the "Revealed" series of books (one for each island). They are excellent and well worth the cost.

I am sailing NCL Wind 8 November and have looked into the VNP excursions. With some help from google, and reading between the lines, I think I found out enough about each of NCL's offerings.

There are 4, I recall. In increasing likelihood of seeing lava flow: , and/or difficulty:

First is a coach tour called something like "volcanoes national park". No live lava, no hiking.

Next one had deluxe in the title I think - done by van. Lts of driving, a few short walks to see the highlights. seemed not too strenuous.

Next one had "adventure" in the title. also a small van, much more hiking - would make lava flow a priority, but also had hiking to other points of interest.

Finally there was one called the lava viewing hike (referred to elsewhere on this board as "the death march"). this one seemed to be one purpose only - no matter how far, you would hike to the lava flow and back.

I decided to take option 3 on the basis that if the lava flow was good and reasonably accessible (up to 3 miles say) then they wopuld get you there, but they seemed to have a good alternative as well and a plan to show you other amazing features of the park as well.

I plan to post a proper review on my return.

Archived