Are ships docking now at Grand Cayman?

WaterMark

This morning's SF Chronicle reports that cruise ships can now dock at Grand Cayman. http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/10/08/TRGUTLIDCH1.DTL&hw=cayman&sn=001&sc=1000

I hadn't seen this anywhere else, and since I'm always the last to find out anything, I'm skeptical that this is true. But it would sure be great if it were, as the tenders are a royal pain. I'd love independent confirmation that ships can dock there now or, more specifically, that Explorer of the Seas will dock there on November 24th.

I fear the author is simply confused and the dock in question is just an improved landing area for the lousy tenders.

just to confirm what the others have written, there is no dock on GCM large enough for cruise ships. Any new dock referred to in the article would have to be for the tenders.

A cruise dock has been talked about for GCM for years and final approval still isn't a done deal. Believe it or not, but cruise ships are not universally welcomed on GCM and not everyone supports destroying more coral reef to build a huge dock for cruise ships.

Here a story in the Cayman Compass.

http://www.caycompass.com/cgi-bin/CFPnews.cgi?ID=1016654

Here's what they say about the new dock.

Although details for the already announced berthing facilities are still being hammered out, he assured attendees that they would be developed with due consideration for the port’s medium to long–term cargo operations.

“Berthing facilities will take us to the next and ultimate level in cruise tourism,” he said.

My guess is they will eventually end up with a dock. If they are going to continue to allow 6-9 ships there daily, on a regular basis, they're going to have to do something. But how long it will take...who knows.

It's too bad these papers are reporting this news. I'd get very excited about GC if I knew I didn't have to tender.

Archived