Introduction to scuba in Cozumel

no cat

Does anyone have any info or has taken the excursion "Intro to Scuba" in Cozumel? Is it worth it? We have snorkeled and enjoyed it and I think I am ready for the next step! But if it is not worth it or unsafe I dont want to do it. It sounds like a nice way to get a feel of the sport!

Thanks for the help!

Linda

Also known as Discover Scuba or a "resort course", an Intro to Scuba is a great way to see if diving is something you'd like to do. A number of dive operators in Cozumel offer this and it is safe if done with a good operator. I'd like to suggest scubawithalison or my friend Christi at Blue XT Sea diving Christi did a discover scuba dive with my DD last December, so I feel comfortable giving her my recommendation.

If neither Alison or Christi are available, be sure to ask them for a recommendation.

Bruce,

We've enjoyed Cozumel too, stayed at Scuba Club a couple of times.

Right now we're looking for suggestions of dive operators in Antigua, Grenada, Martinique or St Thomas? The goal is for certified only trips, we're there early Dec. My hubby's the great diver, I'm the great emailer. Thanks (from a fellow Oregonian).

• 2 weeks later...
Also known as Discover Scuba or a "resort course", an Intro to Scuba is a great way to see if diving is something you'd like to do. A number of dive operators in Cozumel offer this and it is safe if done with a good operator. I'd like to suggest scubawithalison or my friend Christi at Blue XT Sea diving Christi did a discover scuba dive with my DD last December, so I feel comfortable giving her my recommendation.

If neither Alison or Christi are available, be sure to ask them for a recommendation.

I agree 100% with Bruce ....we've only been out diving with Alison (and love her to death!!!), but both Alison & Christi have stellar reputations ..... either one will take great care of you!!

My advice is to NOT do Intro to SCUBA on any vacation at all. If you find that you do not like SCUBA, then you'll have wasted your money. If you find you love SCUBA then you'll have wasted your time and money with a learning experiance that can be done in the States for 1/4th the cost.

I suggest that you contact the nearest Dive Instructor/Dive Shop and get the Intro to SCUBA for very little money (sometimes even free). Then take the classes and get certified before the trip.

If you do this, the entire time in the water on your vacation will be spent in fun and excitement instead of apprehension and anxiety.

Dive In!

I also respectfully disagree with CJS01. There are very few places in the US that will give you the visual experiance of an intro dive than in Cozumel or other places in the Caribbean. A swimming pool just does not do it. Cost for an intro course runs around $55 with scubawithalison.

When we did our Discover Scuba in Nov 04, PADI was offering $25pp back if you got certified within 6 months. We found the full certification course much easier to do as we had a basic understanding of what to expect because of the Discover Scuba. We were able to complete our Open Water Certs in just one weekend.

Hi Kathy,

One of these days we are going to have to book our cruises at the same time. I will get to see Alison again on Thursday. I bought her a nice neoprene coat with hoody to wear while on the boat going to and from the dive sites. Her other one was getting a little worn out. :)

Dave

Hi Kathy,

One of these days we are going to have to book our cruises at the same time. I will get to see Alison again on Thursday. I bought her a nice neoprene coat with hoody to wear while on the boat going to and from the dive sites. Her other one was getting a little worn out. :)

Dave

Hi Dave!!!! Give Alison a big hug from us!!! We don't see her until December!!!:( And maybe we will end up on the same cruise ... one of these days!!!!

And I agree with your assessment ... doing a discover scuba with someone like Alison could easily get you hooked for getting certified down the road. She's so trustworthy and security conscience you know a novice will feel safe with her. And one look underwater in Coz should be enough to get anyone addicted to diving!!!!

Archived