European River Cruises

jisgrig

Any gay couples out there that have been on a European river cruise, such as the Danube or Rhine? We are a mid-forties, gay male couple, and realize we'll probably be the youngest and maybe only gay couple on a Europe river cruise, unless it's a RSVP charter; however, we're still interested in this different type of cruise experience. Are especially interested in a Christmas Market cruise for Dec. 2007 where they visit the villages along the Danube in Germany and Austria where everything is decorated for Xmas, markets to buy all types of ornaments and other Xmas items, carolers, Gingerbread, and Gluckwein. I know it'll be cold, but I'd love to visit the regions where a lot of the Xmas traditions originated, and I love the whole holiday atmosphere. If anyone has done this type of cruise or if anyone is interestesd in one, please respond.

Partner and I did a river cruise in Russia, and it was fab. There were two other gay couples and we all had a great time. Most of the fellow travellers were extremely friendly and accepting. We did most of our independent exploring with some of the straight couples. And yes, there were some homo-phobes in the cruise, but we just ignored them and they ignored us, so there was no problem. They are everywhere!:D

Last year we did the Danube River with RSVP and had a great time as well.

You have to realized that most people who travel on a river cruise are people who have travel to extensively and are more open minded. Go and have a great time!! And share your experience please.

My partner and I have done an RSVP river boat charter on the Danube and an ordinary river boat cruise on the Danube and Rhine. The RSVP cruise was really wonderful. The other was very nice too, though the passengers were a very different experience than going with RSVP. We went in March, so I have no experience with a Christmas Market cruise.

We've just both crossed the 50 threshold and have been on two River Cruises with Viking River (China/Russia) and had a great time on both with no problems with any of the passengers or crew. We've also been to Munich on our own for the Christmas Market and had a great time and have talked about doing a Christmas Market River cruise in the future.

We've just both crossed the 50 threshold and have been on two River Cruises with Viking River (China/Russia) and had a great time on both with no problems with any of the passengers or crew. We've also been to Munich on our own for the Christmas Market and had a great time and have talked about doing a Christmas Market River cruise in the future.

Hello,

I don't mean to (radically) hijack this thread, but my partner and I have just signed up for Viking's China Cultural Delights for June 2007. Did you have any problems asking to have the beds put together on board, or for that matter in any of the hotels? Rumor has it China is a homophobic country (I think it's still illegal in Hong Kong, where we'll also be going).

Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Dagama10

John, sent you an email. Wasn't sure to which cruise you were referring, but I'll provide whatever I can. If you were looking for the Viking River Web site it is at: www.vikingrivercruises.com

Dagama10, the beds on the boat were together when we boarded, so that was not an issue. In the hotels, we got what we were given, sometimes double, sometimes queen. You could probably request through Viking River that you want a Queen or King bed and not have to request at each hotel. After arriving in a city, they usually handed out keys prior to arriving at the hotel, so it wasn't like you had to check in each time, so unless that has changed, your room will already have been assigned. We didn't go to Hong Kong (lack of time) so can't answer regarding what you would find there. There were three other couples in our group of 30 (not planned, just happened), and I can't remember once ever receiving any negative vibes from either the locals or anyone on the tour. In fact, while waiting to leave on tour one day, we struck up a conversation with a young Chinese hotel doorman at the Bejing Hotel who wanted to discuss with us how handsome Andy Roddick is!

• 9 months later...

My partner and I will be on Gate 1 Travel's "12 Day Budapest to Nuremberg with Prague" on the Amadeus Royal in April 2008. It disembarks on April 5. We can't wait!! If anyone else is going on that one we'd love to hear from you!! Or, if you've been on the Amadeus Royal, we'd love to hear what you thought of that boat...

• 2 months later...

Oops! This has changed a bit. Our travel agent called and apparently the European Union is closing the Danube river for a while --- right when we were cruising. SOmething about having to fix some issues with "germany flooding". So, we're still on the ROyal, but now sailing from Nuremburg to Amsteram (starting off with 3 days in Prague). Always wanted to see Germany, so this will be great! And, from all I've seen (pictures) and heaer on here and other sources, the Royal is a great ship! Can't wait!

My partner and I will be on Gate 1 Travel's "12 Day Budapest to Nuremberg with Prague" on the Amadeus Royal in April 2008. It disembarks on April 5. We can't wait!! If anyone else is going on that one we'd love to hear from you!! Or, if you've been on the Amadeus Royal, we'd love to hear what you thought of that boat...

Oops! This has changed a bit. Our travel agent called and apparently the European Union is closing the Danube river for a while --- right when we were cruising. SOmething about having to fix some issues with "germany flooding". So, we're still on the ROyal, but now sailing from Nuremburg to Amsteram (starting off with 3 days in Prague). Always wanted to see Germany, so this will be great! And, from all I've seen (pictures) and heaer on here and other sources, the Royal is a great ship! Can't wait!

Even with the itinerary change, I'm sure you'll have a great trip. We are booked on the Amadeus Amalegro for mid December this year for the Xmas Market Cruise on the Danube, so looking forward to it very much. Vienna should be beautiful at night during the Xmas season. I haven't heard anything about the Danube closing for a time in the spring. Did you hear any time frame? Looks like you may be in The Netherlands just in time for tulip season; you should extend the trip and visit the tulip fields - suppose to be amazing. joel

Those Danube cruises have a lot of water issues. I have been on two and both had itinerary changes; one for flooding and the other because there wasn't enough water. But both were great fun and we had no problems the company didn't deal with.

You know, I haven't heard any specifics about the river closing either. I meant to google it and see what I could find, but just haven't yet.

And thanks for the note about tulip season! I'd forgotten about that. I have already extended our stay in Amsterdam a day, and now will check out tours of the tulip fields! Thanks!!

Even with the itinerary change, I'm sure you'll have a great trip. We are booked on the Amadeus Amalegro for mid December this year for the Xmas Market Cruise on the Danube, so looking forward to it very much. Vienna should be beautiful at night during the Xmas season. I haven't heard anything about the Danube closing for a time in the spring. Did you hear any time frame? Looks like you may be in The Netherlands just in time for tulip season; you should extend the trip and visit the tulip fields - suppose to be amazing. joel

Don't count on seeing the tulips unless you book your trip next spring. We should have seen lots of tulips on our last river cruise. BUT...it was a colder than usual spring and the tulips were later than usual, so we didn't see very many. The temperatures and rain are just not that predictable. And tulip season is fairy short.

To get back to your original post. My spouse (Married in Massachusetts!!) and I did a river cruise three years ago. We were 58 and 62 at the time and younger than 80% of passangers and the only gays. We had a great time. From the first day we sat at large empty tables in the dining room and just waited to see who would join us. Within two days, folks would join us on a regular basis. One 85+ year old woman from Manhattan was happy to announce to everyone she could that she had just met a lovely gay couple! We never had any problems or attitude from any of the passangers or staff.

We are doing a Vienna to Cologne cruise in two weeks and the travel agent even asked if we wanted twin or queen beds.

I think you would really enjoy your cruise and it certainly would be a pretty time of year to do it.

Don

To get back to your original post. My spouse (Married in Massachusetts!!) and I did a river cruise three years ago. We were 58 and 62 at the time and younger than 80% of passangers and the only gays. We had a great time. From the first day we sat at large empty tables in the dining room and just waited to see who would join us. Within two days, folks would join us on a regular basis. One 85+ year old woman from Manhattan was happy to announce to everyone she could that she had just met a lovely gay couple! We never had any problems or attitude from any of the passangers or staff.

We are doing a Vienna to Cologne cruise in two weeks and the travel agent even asked if we wanted twin or queen beds.

I think you would really enjoy your cruise and it certainly would be a pretty time of year to do it.

Don

Thank you for sharing your river cruise experience, Don. It sounds very positive and I'm very anxious for December for my first river cruise. You must be even more anxious with a trip two weeks away - I hope you have another great and positive experience. joel

Archived